shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:02 am

Don’t bother with the TV show
We already wasted our time, but thanks

Kane

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:13 am

I'm into book six of The Expanse. Haven't started watching season six yet, so this is uncharted waters for me.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:08 am

I'm into book six of The Expanse. Haven't started watching season six yet, so this is uncharted waters for me.
Is that Persepolis Rising? That's the one I'm listening to on audiobook right now. I'm only up to speed on S4 of the show, though.

Kane

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:20 am

Is that Persepolis Rising? That's the one I'm listening to on audiobook right now. I'm only up to speed on S4 of the show, though.
Babylon's Ashes. I think Persepolis Rising is book seven.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:08 am

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:14 am

Read The Hike by Drew Magary. Very weird, but I dug it.

Read My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix. Not sure how to describe this one, maybe a pulpy sweet valley high novel about the Devil and friendship? haha. It was something.

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:15 am

Have you read The Postmortal?

I hadn't heard of The Hike, I'll have to look into it.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:17 am

Have you read The Postmortal?

I hadn't heard of The Hike, I'll have to look into it.
I have not, I knew nothing about the hike either, got it as a Christmas gift, but will definitely check it out

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:22 am

Grady Hendrix was my neighbor in high school. His mom used to drive me to school. He was an interesting guy back then.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:48 am

Grady Hendrix was my neighbor in high school. His mom used to drive me to school. He was an interesting guy back then.
That's interesting, I don't even remember how I found that book or have ever heard of him before.

Kane

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:57 pm

Expanse books spoilers (book 7):
30 year time jump caught me off guard. Going to miss Avasarala.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:12 pm

I thought Avasarala died in the beginning of book 8? Maybe I missed it at the end of 7 - sometimes I drift off listening to the audiobook version. I just started 8, and there's a sense that her granddaughter may have a role going forward.

Not sure if there really was a need to time jump 30 years. I think the story could have been told within 3-5 years. Maybe they wanted to give Holden and crew a break :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:22 pm

I thought Avasarala died in the beginning of book 8? Maybe I missed it at the end of 7 - sometimes I drift off listening to the audiobook version. I just started 8, and there's a sense that her granddaughter may have a role going forward.

Not sure if there really was a need to time jump 30 years. I think the story could have been told within 3-5 years. Maybe they wanted to give Holden and crew a break :lol:
I think it was to give time for Laconia to grow/expand

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:30 pm

I think it was to give time for Laconia to grow/expand
Yeah, makes sense. I was just agreeing with Kane. It was tough to reimagine all the main characters as 30 years older.

Kane

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:03 pm

That's some impressive longevity if she is still kicking. I'm only 2 chapters in to book 7.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:07 pm

That's some impressive longevity if she is still kicking. I'm only 2 chapters in to book 7.
oops :oops:

Kane

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:44 pm

No worries, I'm happy I won't be missing her character. :)

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:07 pm

Well, human lifespans increase in the future due to medical advances.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:17 pm

This is one small peeve I have with the books in general. Have they given any age of any of the characters yet? I keep thinking the same thing; people should be living much longer. But how much longer?!

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:22 pm

This is one small peeve I have with the books in general. Have they given any age of any of the characters yet? I keep thinking the same thing; people should be living much longer. But how much longer?!
It's a couple of years since I read the flash forward books, but I vaguely remember book Averserala was 120+ or something. On the show (which is written and exec produced by the authors), there is an offhand comment by a Belter about the average life expectancy is much, much higher on Mars and Earth than in the Belt. Something well over 100 years for the Inner planets. But again, it's been a few years lol

Shyster

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:29 pm

Not reading the spoilers, but that reminds me that I started the Expanse series years ago, but I never bought the next book after reading (I think) book 5. I need to get back to that series.

Kane

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:32 pm

I vaguley remember it being mentioned without specifics. I think based on offspring ages, the main crew are all in the mid thirties when it starts out

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:33 pm

I'm halfway through book 9. Sigh.

Kane

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:13 pm

A dedicated redditor sleuthed it out:

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:59 pm

I'm halfway through book 9. Sigh.
Yeah, I don't want to start it...because I don't want it to end. Sigh.