Bibliophile Thread

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:39 pm

@eddy

Just finished up In the Lives of Puppets… TJ Klune’s newest book. Not nearly as good as his other work.

House in the cerulean sea is a 9 for me.
Under the whispering door is a 7.5 or 8.
This one is a 6.
I've still just read his first book.

Just finished Red Rising by Pierce Brown, it's great and I'm looking forward to the next books. Don Winslow's city on fire was also a good read. I had problems with Demon Copperhead bc just too depressing for me.

Rylan

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Rylan » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:38 pm

@eddy

Just finished up In the Lives of Puppets… TJ Klune’s newest book. Not nearly as good as his other work.

This one is a 6.

Just finished Red Rising by Pierce Brown, it's great and I'm looking forward to the next books. Don Winslow's city on fire was also a good read. I had problems with Demon Copperhead bc just too depressing for me.
Red Rising OG Trilogy is my favorite set of books. The subsequent 3 have been really good too, but the first 3 were my perfect Sci-Fi.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:47 pm

Started on Legends and Lattes today… so far, so good. An orc that gives up the life of killing to open a coffee shop. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:39 pm

Wrapping up Book 6 of the Expanse series. That's now six books in three months and change.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:06 pm

Just finished Legends and Lattes.... what an enjoyable book. A bounty hunting orc retires to open a coffee shop in a town that doesn't know what coffee is. Basically goes through her struggles of leaving her past life and starting a new one. It's pretty short too.

Rylan

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Rylan » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:09 pm

Just finished Legends and Lattes.... what an enjoyable book. A bounty hunting orc retires to open a coffee shop in a town that doesn't know what coffee is. Basically goes through her struggles of leaving her past life and starting a new one. It's pretty short too.
I added it to my queue. I am intrigued.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:03 am

I added it to my queue. I am intrigued.
Added as well, this sounds great, thank you

John scalzi new book sounds like a lot of fun

https://us.macmillan.com/books/97807653 ... tervillain

Rylan

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Rylan » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:39 am

I liked Old Man's War, but otherwise I didnt really enjoy his work. This looks interesting though.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:09 am

I liked Old Man's War, but otherwise I didnt really enjoy his work. This looks interesting though.
Check out his Collapsing Empire trilogy, I thought they were terrific

Rylan

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Rylan » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:14 am

Check out his Collapsing Empire trilogy, I thought they were terrific
Added to the list.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:01 pm

@eddy

This one is a 6.

Red Rising OG Trilogy is my favorite set of books. The subsequent 3 have been really good too, but the first 3 were my perfect Sci-Fi.
I finished the 2nd book. I am very much enjoying these and will continue to read. The back and forth good guy to bad guy million cross back and forth gets a little tedious, but it hasn't hampered my enjoyment yet. Waiting for my wife to finish the 3rd so I can start it up.

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:45 pm

Just finished We Spread by Ian Reid. Can't really recommend it. It's slow and, despite being fairly short, seemed to drag.
An unreliable narrator with obvious dementia/alzheimer makes it pretty easy to write off any of the "spooky" stuff. At which point it just becomes a sad but predictable story about how aging sucks.
Not sure what's next. Is Lost World worth the read? I was also have The Terror by Dan Simmons on deck but that feels like a bit daunting at the moment.

count2infinity

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:27 am

Wasn't sure what to expect going into Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow... it's been hyped up so much online. John Green said it was his favorite book of the 2022 year by far.

So I wasn't sure what to expect... finished it, and now I don't know how I feel about it. :lol:

There are 4ish main characters. I hated 3 of them and one I only somewhat liked
He ends up dying... of course

The weird part was that the 3 main characters I hated, I ended up just hating more through the book, not less. Like they would somewhat start to redeem themselves and then just *poof*, they suck again.

I enjoyed the story though. And I can see why people love this book, but I cannot understand why EVERYONE seems to love this book. It's certainly an emotional roller coaster, and it starts off as a very enjoyable read, but falls apart right after the climax.

I think if it was a little shorter, it would have been way better.

I did the audiobook, and I really liked how they changed the narrator at one point because the narrator in the actual book changes. That was well thought out.

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:30 am

I'm circling back to one of the big ones I missed along the way, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I don't know if it's the stress and general malaise I'm going through in life the last few weeks but I'm not connecting with the material. It's just coming across as drab. I own that part of it is me, I should be reading something that's more of a pick me up for how I'm feeling right now, but I'm 20% of the way in and don't look forward to picking it up at night.

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:06 pm

I read Cuckoo's Nest in college and loved it. It doesn't exactly suddenly become a happy book, though. I'd say if you're not feeling it, move on to something else and revisit it later. It's too good to force yourself to slog through it.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:27 pm

count2infinity

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:09 am

Just finished the first book in the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series. Not sure why I hadn't checked it out before now. It was quite good and I'm looking forward to the following books.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:18 pm

i made a goal this year to 'read' more books. i put 'read' in quotes because most of them are via audible when i am driving around but still counts.

2023 litt book tour

Ron Chernow - Washington - biography on George Washington. Always wanted to learn more. the 42 hour audiobook didnt disappoint. i learned a number of things that were novel to me about GW and our nation

Andy Weir - Project Hail Mary - from author of The Martian. interesting book about an intersterllar bacteria that uses energy from the sun to reproduce and substantially decreases the luminosity of the sun leading ot potential ice age. would recommend if you liked the martian

Bob Iger - The Ride of a Lifetime - Iger's autobiography. very interesting about his career and some fruitful examples that pertain to leadership and business

Jocko Willink & Leif Babin - Extreme Ownership - Willink and Babin were navy seals that served in Ramadi in 2006. they started a leadership consulting group and relate leadership principles to the combat tactics the seals employ. excellent book and have used many of the tactics and examples in my day to day. highly recommend

Chris Vos - Never Split the Difference - was the lead international hostage negotiator for the FBI for several years (spent time in pittsburgh, apparently), worked in the NYC joint terrrorism task force before FBI. tactics and strategies for how to effectively negotiate. not sure if i would recommend or not. some useful nuggets about the psychology behind negotiating and what to look for in your mark

James Clear - Atomic Habits - how to change your habits, break down habits in to small, digestible bits, and how to identify triggers and tactics to protect yourself from yourself

Michael Lewis - The Big Short - didn't really know much about the workings of this before reading but enjoyed learning about it. its interesting to consider the groupthink that occurred in so many board rooms that something like that could ever happen

Phil Knight - Shoe Dog - great book. really enjoyed understanding the history of nike, the risks they took, their unwillingness to go public for so long.

Jim Collins - Good to Great - this book sucks.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb - Fooled by Randomness - only made it about 3 hours in to this book and had to stop. just insufferably boring to listen to. almost wrecked my car falling asleep

Bethan McLean - The Smartest Guys in The Room - similar to the big short, wanted to learn about Enron. so much to unpack about corporate culture, intentional and unintentional misinformation, negligence. very interesting how far they were able to take it.

Anthony Bourdain - Kitchen Confidential - just randomly popped up on my audible. loved it.

Patrick Radden Keefe - Empire of Pain - chronicling of the family (Sackler) of medical doctors behind Purdue pharma (oxycontin) and it's role in the opioid epidemic and rise of heroin and fentanyl use worldwide. morally reprephensible group of individuals who thought they could whistle past the graveyard by being in bed with the FDA, making donations to charities and foundations, and 'distancing' themselves from the operations of their company via installing figurehead CEOs they could control. the family siphoned cash from the company annually (they talked about taking 700M distributions annually for 7 years) and never really invested in r&d oustide of oxycontin so its pretty clear they knew exactly what they were doing.
several clever maneuvers to extend the patent as well. cunning business folks. would highly recommend.

up next

don Miguel Ruiz - The Four Agreements - mrs litt told me to read this and it will make me a better person

updating prior post

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:44 pm

I read Cuckoo's Nest in college and loved it. It doesn't exactly suddenly become a happy book, though. I'd say if you're not feeling it, move on to something else and revisit it later. It's too good to force yourself to slog through it.
I snapped out of my personal funk and ended up really liking the book in the end. Much better than the movie. There is a very specific part of the ending of the movie that lacks balance and renders the whole thing kind of moot and that was a disappointment.
In the book, NR is permanently disabled and can no longer speak. In the movie she's injured but can. Disabling her was the opposite end of the balance between NR and RPM's death. RPM dying in the movie and NR not being seriously affected kind of blew it for me.

Troy Loney

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:56 pm

i made a goal this year to 'read' more books. i put 'read' in quotes because most of them are via audible when i am driving around but still counts.

2023 litt book tour

Ron Chernow - Washington - biography on George Washington. Always wanted to learn more. the 42 hour audiobook didnt disappoint. i learned a number of things that were novel to me about GW and our nation

Andy Weir - Project Hail Mary - from author of The Martian. interesting book about an intersterllar bacteria that uses energy from the sun to reproduce and substantially decreases the luminosity of the sun leading ot potential ice age. would recommend if you liked the martian

Bob Iger - The Ride of a Lifetime - Iger's autobiography. very interesting about his career and some fruitful examples that pertain to leadership and business

Jocko Willink & Leif Babin - Extreme Ownership - Willink and Babin were navy seals that served in Ramadi in 2006. they started a leadership consulting group and relate leadership principles to the combat tactics the seals employ. excellent book and have used many of the tactics and examples in my day to day. highly recommend

Chris Vos - Never Split the Difference - was the lead international hostage negotiator for the FBI for several years (spent time in pittsburgh, apparently), worked in the NYC joint terrrorism task force before FBI. tactics and strategies for how to effectively negotiate. not sure if i would recommend or not. some useful nuggets about the psychology behind negotiating and what to look for in your mark

James Clear - Atomic Habits - how to change your habits, break down habits in to small, digestible bits, and how to identify triggers and tactics to protect yourself from yourself

Michael Lewis - The Big Short - didn't really know much about the workings of this before reading but enjoyed learning about it. its interesting to consider the groupthink that occurred in so many board rooms that something like that could ever happen

Phil Knight - Shoe Dog - great book. really enjoyed understanding the history of nike, the risks they took, their unwillingness to go public for so long.

Jim Collins - Good to Great - this book sucks.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb - Fooled by Randomness - only made it about 3 hours in to this book and had to stop. just insufferably boring to listen to. almost wrecked my car falling asleep

Bethan McLean - The Smartest Guys in The Room - similar to the big short, wanted to learn about Enron. so much to unpack about corporate culture, intentional and unintentional misinformation, negligence. very interesting how far they were able to take it.

Anthony Bourdain - Kitchen Confidential - just randomly popped up on my audible. loved it.

Patrick Radden Keefe - Empire of Pain - chronicling of the family (Sackler) of medical doctors behind Purdue pharma (oxycontin) and it's role in the opioid epidemic and rise of heroin and fentanyl use worldwide. morally reprephensible group of individuals who thought they could whistle past the graveyard by being in bed with the FDA, making donations to charities and foundations, and 'distancing' themselves from the operations of their company via installing figurehead CEOs they could control. the family siphoned cash from the company annually (they talked about taking 700M distributions annually for 7 years) and never really invested in r&d oustide of oxycontin so its pretty clear they knew exactly what they were doing.
several clever maneuvers to extend the patent as well. cunning business folks. would highly recommend.

up next

don Miguel Ruiz - The Four Agreements - mrs litt told me to read this and it will make me a better person

updating prior post
I’m a big fan of the two Patrick radden keefe books (empire of pain and say nothing)

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:37 am

Oh boy, you are in for a treat. It only gets better from there. Try to get the novellas as well, they are now in one collection with a new ending novella:

https://www.amazon.com/Memorys-Legion-C ... 447&sr=8-1

Obviously, read the novellas in the right order to avoid confusion/spoilers etc.
I finished Book 8 on vacation and ordered Book 9 so it would be home when I arrived. Easily a Top 2/3 series for me, the perfect combination of hard science fiction, great character development, and a solid premise/world building.

Over eight thick books in five months is certainly a record for me. :lol:

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:33 am

The Lost World is basically 400+ pages of Michael Chrichton shitting on Spielberg’s Jurassic Park.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:28 pm

Enjoyed the Red Rising trilogy very much, looks like there is another trilogy, so I guess I have to figure out if they are connected to this?

Bill Wattersons new book The Mysteries was delivered today so I look forward to checking that out.

John Scalzi Starter Villain was a quick, silly and fun read.

Clive Barkers Cabal is just as good as I remember

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:38 pm

Every Man for Himself and God Against All: A Memoir by Werner Herzog comes out this week I think. I read a chapter about his life when he was living in Pittsburgh, man ,I cannot wait to read this whole thing

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:32 pm

Oh boy, you are in for a treat. It only gets better from there. Try to get the novellas as well, they are now in one collection with a new ending novella:

https://www.amazon.com/Memorys-Legion-C ... 447&sr=8-1

Obviously, read the novellas in the right order to avoid confusion/spoilers etc.
I finished Book 8 on vacation and ordered Book 9 so it would be home when I arrived. Easily a Top 2/3 series for me, the perfect combination of hard science fiction, great character development, and a solid premise/world building.

Over eight thick books in five months is certainly a record for me. :lol:
And done. This is the first series that I've been legit sad to finish in a long time. Very happy with the ending even though it was a tough one.