Bibliophile Thread

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea he even published a new one. The reviews look phenomenal

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:47 pm

It as much better pacing than Lisey's Story. ;)

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:49 pm

It as much better pacing than Lisey's Story. ;)
:lol:

Come on man, I really wanted to like that. Maybe I'll revisit it later.

The Book of M is great so far.

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 am

@eddysnake

I am floored. You should really check out the YA series "Arch of the Scythe". They are enthralling and I am at a loss until book 3 comes out next year. I think you will enjoy it.

What I think is lacking in many YA novels and fantasy/sci-fi in general recently is multiple intrigues and complexity. There is often one story, one mystery. But throughout these first two books there is so much complexity and questions to answer, beyond world building. I like my sci-fis/fantasy to not just be complex world building, but complex plots.

I can say one thing, the second book (the Thunderhead) is not predicable.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:37 am

I am floored. You should really check out the YA series "Arch of the Scythe". They are enthralling and I am at a loss until book 3 comes out next year. I think you will enjoy it.

What I think is lacking in many YA novels and fantasy/sci-fi in general recently is multiple intrigues and complexity. There is often one story, one mystery. But throughout these first two books there is so much complexity and questions to answer, beyond world building. I like my sci-fis/fantasy to not just be complex world building, but complex plots.

I can say one thing, the second book (the Thunderhead) is not predicable.
thanks, looks like a good read and the series is at my library. It's on the list!

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:40 am

I have a list of about 10 books you recommended in the past 6 months to read in the new year, just seeing if I get any for the holidays/my birthday. :thumb:

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:53 pm

@eddysnake

I highly recommend Book of M. The pacing is fantastic and the dystopian world that Shepherd creates is a fascinating one.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 pm

@eddysnake

I highly recommend Book of M. The pacing is fantastic and the dystopian world that Shepherd creates is a fascinating one.@eddysnake

:thumb:

I wish I was a faster reader and there was more time in the day to read what I want

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Listening to books with Overdrive on my phone at 1.25x speed is a game changer

Shyster

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:07 pm

I think I've mentioned it before, but for a YA-friendly fantasy/sci-fi series, I highly recommend the Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron.
It would fall into the "urban fantasy" genre, and the main character is a dragon in an alternate United States with magic. Really good characters, story, and writing. These books are good enough that I bought each one even though they are included in my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793 ... rw_dp_labf

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:50 pm

I think I've mentioned it before, but for a YA-friendly fantasy/sci-fi series, I highly recommend the Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron.
It would fall into the "urban fantasy" genre, and the main character is a dragon in an alternate United States with magic. Really good characters, story, and writing. These books are good enough that I bought each one even though they are included in my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

Cool, I'll check it out!

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Listening to books with Overdrive on my phone at 1.25x speed is a game changer
Yep, that’s a trick I use all the time.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:05 am

So I'm reading The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch and it is indeed as good as advertised ('Inception meets True Detective'). eddysnake, I think this is right up your alley.
Includes a quote from Blake Crouch on the cover? I'm in@eddysnake

Went to our very busy library (Chester County Library) on the way home and was shocked to see this in the stacks. Can't wait to dig in tonight.
I'm currently #2 in line on hold for the audiobook. I'm hoping the timing works out that the book is available as soon as I finish my current book
I really enjoyed this book. I read it all day yesterday, very hard to put down. Definitely one of the best books I read all year. The backwoods WV stuff was spot on 1st season of true detective creepy. I see he has another book, anyone read that?

Thanks for the recommendation!

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:08 am

I've never read any Kafka up to this point so I'm enjoying the Breon Mitchell translation of The Trial as my first dive into his work.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:43 pm

So I'm reading The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch and it is indeed as good as advertised ('Inception meets True Detective'). eddysnake, I think this is right up your alley.
Includes a quote from Blake Crouch on the cover? I'm in@eddysnake

Went to our very busy library (Chester County Library) on the way home and was shocked to see this in the stacks. Can't wait to dig in tonight.
I'm currently #2 in line on hold for the audiobook. I'm hoping the timing works out that the book is available as soon as I finish my current book
I really enjoyed this book. I read it all day yesterday, very hard to put down. Definitely one of the best books I read all year. The backwoods WV stuff was spot on 1st season of true detective creepy. I see he has another book, anyone read that?

Thanks for the recommendation!
I haven’t but this is a good reminder to put it on hold

Troy Loney

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm reading Pachinko right now. It reminds me of turn of the century stuff, I'm into it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:41 am

Finally got around to reading "Hillbilly Elegy".

Finished in two days.

Was really fantastic, and depressing, and explanatory of a number of things.

Highly recommend.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Bibliophile Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:33 am

i mean I liked hillbilily elegy but I did not have any aha moments while reading it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 pm

I grew up in that environment (not my nuclear family, but all my relatives and friends grew up like him) so it "spoke to me" in a lot of ways. He and I joined the Marines primarily for the same reasons. Was cool to see that.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 pm

Why Marlon James Decided to Write an African “Game of Thrones”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... type=owned

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 am

I thought Book of M was terrific.

Picked up The Chronicles of Prydain for my kids to read, but while they were finishing the City of Ember I picked it up and am hooked. I am not sure how I missed this series when I was younger, but am having a lot of fun with it. Reminds me of Tolkien light.

Have Scythe and Fencing the Sky sitting on standby.

Has anyone read Hyperion by Dan Simmons?

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:17 pm

I really liked it, but the ending was disappointing for me. The "elephant never forgets" stuff was unintentionally funny IMO

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Picked up The Chronicles of Prydain for my kids to read, but while they were finishing the City of Ember I picked it up and am hooked. I am not sure how I missed this series when I was younger, but am having a lot of fun with it. Reminds me of Tolkien light.

Have Scythe and Fencing the Sky sitting on standby.

Has anyone read Hyperion by Dan Simmons?
Hyperion is fantastic

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm

I really liked it, but the ending was disappointing for me. The "elephant never forgets" stuff was unintentionally funny IMO
For whatever reason, something just clicked with me and I saw the ending coming pretty far out. The way everything was intentionally not being said and described, I knew it wasn't going to be her wife,and at first I was disappointed, but the more I thought about it and how it all ended up working with the other themes of the book, I kinda really dug it. I was pretty impressed for this being her first novel and especially bringing something different to the post apocalyptic story

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Cool, I'll check it out!
Put this on hold at the library, finally.

I took at look at this book on goodreads, and I had to laugh at one of the questions/answers:
Q: Is there swearing or sex
A: Yes, there's a kiss, and a couple almost kisses. He's 24, she's 25, it works

Ma'am, that is not sex.