Pet Thread

Troy Loney

Pet Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:20 pm

So I'm out walking my dog (Stargell is a 95 lb doberman, and well behaved) minding my business. I live in a pretty average, quiet neighborhood. A family of four is coming up on the other side of the road, kids are 5 and 8 by my estimation. And the dad out of nowhere goes "I have a gun and if that ****ing dog comes over here I'll shoot it." I mean Jesus. I kept my cool but man.
What a god damn lunatic. You should have told him to kill himself.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 am

I'd have said "Neat! I have a gun, too. And if you display the slightest aggression towards...... well, any of us, your runts are going to learn the non-COVID definition of 'ventilate'."

#arnie

People like that are why people that are normal hate people like that.

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:26 am

Has anyone ordered from Chewy lately? There website says they're slower than usual but the order I put in last Monday hasn't even shipped yet.

Ad@m

Pet Thread

Postby Ad@m » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am

My last order was in February and it shipped from the Wilkes-Barre warehouse. It shouldn’t take that long.

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:08 am

I usually get items the next day. I understand they're swamped right now and I don't mind waiting, just trying to decide whether I should get some things from Amazon or from Tractor Supply to hold me over. I'm good for another week, but after that my dogs won't be happy with me. ;)

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Has anyone ordered from Chewy lately? There website says they're slower than usual but the order I put in last Monday hasn't even shipped yet.
My last order took about 6 days. Ordered on a Friday came the following Thursday. Shipped on that Tuesday.

Normally I get stuff in one day...two at the most. That order on a Friday midday normally would have gotten to me Saturday or Sunday at the latest.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:29 am

Oh no, a Pet Thread bump. :(
My dog has cancer. You guys, honestly...I am usually fairly stoic about these things but life is just too much now. In the totality I have almost no capacity to feign normalcy anymore. Just been crying and trying to absorb it, usually I skip that and go right to processing stuff but I am just kind of broken for now.

Blah.
So. Did the pathology today. Found out she has two distinct cancers growing in different parts of her body. The doc was actually very surprised, they only found the second one by chance. In a way it was helpful because it removed nearly all treatmemt options and took the decision out of our hands. We are going to remove the tumor on her leg, it has swollen to the size of a tennisball and starting to seep blood. She'll then pass away in a few weeks-months, probably when we feel she is ready for in home euthanasia. The hope now is the complications from tomorrows surgery are limited and we can have a good few weeks of nature walks and eating snacks before the time comes. If not for the leg tumor we never would have known she was sick, she is still vibrant and full of energy.

She had a pretty broad and adventurous life, no regrets in that department. :thumb:
We're at the bolded part. Took her to the country house this weekend while we did some spring cleaning there. She went for an energetic walk on Friday but was a lot less enthusiastic for the morning walk on Saturday. Was looking her over on Saturday night and the lymph node that was cancerous in January swelled up about 3-4x its normal size the last few days. That's the signal that we're at the end.

My wife found a vet that will do in-home euthanasia. We researched a few back in January. I was concerned we couldn't get help with her because of the COVID concern, particularly with the wife undergoing chemotherapy. Talking to this vet this morning they have adapted their protocol for it. They'll give us all the instructions over the phone in the driveway. Come in and do the injection, then go wait outside for us to ask them to come back in and take her away for cremation. If anyone wants that recommendation I'll pass it along assuming everything goes well.

Even though I knew this was coming and that it would happen in this window of time I'm dying alive over here. Been pretty useless the last 48 hours or so. I've started writing a good bye letter to her to help me organize my thoughts so maybe I won't dwell on it. That's been kind of hard though, it's so long.

It's difficult to talk about. I know objectively it's silly. It's a dog, it's what they do. And that's part of my issue; there is no one to be mad it, nobody made a mistake, no one is to blame. It just is.
We got Cadence the week before my first Marine Corps Ball back in 2007. She's been there through all the USMC stuff including the deployments, the moves to WI and PA, the loss of my wife's parents, my wife's battles with cancer, the jobs, law school, the houses, the cars. My wife aptly pointed out that Cadence, save for our marriage, is the one thing in our life that stayed constant through all the changes. We always bought our houses with her in mind, we built our life around the three of us as a unit. It's tough to let a piece of that life go.

I have to get this figured out. I think even the dog is tired of me being so sullen. I figure she'll go sometime between Thursday and Sunday. I'm hoping to pull my head out of my ass and make these last few days comfortable for her.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:31 am

I'm so sorry to hear that, dodint. It's not silly, either. :(

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:32 am

So sorry dodint :(

willeyeam

Pet Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:36 am

Ugh so sorry. Pets shouldn't be allowed to go. I'm sure you gave her a great 13 years, and vice versa

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks.

The surgery we did Super Bowl weekend was absolutely worth it. The vet was strongly encouraging us to euthanize at that point. I knew Cadence was strong enough to pull through the surgery and make it through the recovery period. Which she did, the pain in the ass even pulled out her own stitches. That bought us two months where we did get to take some of those walks, and she made it to the party we had in early March where everyone got to love on her one last time. She got to spend a ton of quality time with us thanks to COVID, because I am 80% WFH and the wife was laid off. I selfishly want her around until the quarantine is lifted because it's great having her companionship around the house. But that's not realistic.

Just glad we got a good-bye tour of sorts.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Dodint I'm so sorry. These posts hurt so much so I can only imagine what it does for you.

I've been thinking about this, and the sheer amount of time I spend with our goldendoodle. She will be nine this fall, and with each passing year the sense of dread gets worse. The thought of... *that* literally makes me ill. Hang in there man.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Pet Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Sucks. Very much sucks.

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. And it isn't silly. I'll be honest, losing my dog Eli was the hardest loss of my life.

Troy Loney

Pet Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:56 pm

Truly shitty. I don't know how I'd be able to get through this without my two dogs.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:03 pm

I'm so sorry, brother. :sad:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Yeah. This stinks. Keep your head up, brother

Ad@m

Pet Thread

Postby Ad@m » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:21 am

Have you received your order?

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:19 pm

It arrived this morning. Or maybe late yesterday. Just saw it on my porch.

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:57 pm

I no longer like when this thread surfaces

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:34 pm

On a different note. Do we have any freshwater aquarium peop...aquariuist...fish tank folks?

I impulse bought a 75 gallon after mini-meow's 10 went really really well. Looking for someone to godric chat with

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm

On a different note. Do we have any freshwater aquarium peop...aquariuist...fish tank folks?

I impulse bought a 75 gallon after mini-meow's 10 went really really well. Looking for someone to godric chat with

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm

I want to get back into it, I liked it a lot when I was doing it.

Reef Central forums was my go to for advice. Not just for reef stuff, either.

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Excellent. We did a sand substrate and like 25 neon tetras and nine green corys. I'm in the processes of getting plants, but the quarantine has put a damper on that. We are trying to think of a centerpiece fish. The kids want a redtailed shark. I'm indifferent and would rather try to fit as many small fish in there as safely possible.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:48 pm

You can get a surprisingly lot of things mail ordered. Back in the early 2000s I was having Dwarf Puffers shipped in for my freshwater tank. For freshwater all I had was a 20g extra tall tank (a 10g tank twice as high).

When I was a kid we had the redtail sharks. As a kid it was just cool having a shark in the house. :lol: