Pet Thread

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:51 am

Yeah, that's the obvious choice.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:53 am

I had a hamster when I was in middle school, named Zoey. Brought her to school, and one of the other students bumbled around getting her back into the cage, and she ran off into the closet. Never found her.

Fast forward one year, I'm sitting in the same science classroom when she runs out from the closet. Catch her and bring her home. To this day, I still can't believe it.

Kane

Pet Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:59 am

Biscuit is the obvious choice.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:02 am

I had a hamster when I was in middle school, named Zoey. Brought her to school, and one of the other students bumbled around getting her back into the cage, and she ran off into the closet. Never found her.

Fast forward one year, I'm sitting in the same science classroom when she runs out from the closet. Catch her and bring her home. To this day, I still can't believe it.
Did you make it awkward by going full Helen Hunt in Castaway by having to tell Zoey that you've already fallen and love and moved on with another hamster?

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:04 am

Did you make it awkward by going full Helen Hunt in Castaway by having to tell Zoey that you've already fallen and love and moved on with another hamster?
No, no I did not.

CBear3

Pet Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:04 am

:lol:

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:33 am

We subscribe to this one dog trainer's YT channel, and he's currently working with a puppy called Biscuits.

Not Biscuit. Biscuits, plural. She embodies more than one biscuit.

shoeshine boy

Pet Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:15 pm

Our critter was just diagnosed diabetic, too. Dr Rxed the Purina DM kibble, and she (the cat, not the vet) horfs it down like a champ. Followup visit on Friday will determine if diet alone can manage her care or if we need to do the insulin thing.
I had a diabetic cat several years ago. the insulin thing was actually pretty easy. you wait until they're eating and shoot them up, right in the hip. cat doesn't notice a thing and you learn a new skill.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:36 am

After some tears - mostly the kids, but some from ya boy meow - we settle on Biscuit for a girl or Blur for a boy.

Kane

Pet Thread

Postby Kane » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:40 am

Compromise even further and just go with Blurscuit. Or Bisclur.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:07 am

You want me to voluntarily get back on that emotional roller coaster? No thanks

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:40 am

You wanna test the strength of your marriage and your love for your children? Try having everyone agree on a hamster name.
When I was a kid (5-6yo) this happened in our house. Got a hamster, no one could agree on a name. My parents ended up putting all the three of our names in a hat and the whoever got picked got to name it.

I won. Named the hamster Blondie after the Man With No Name. Yes, my parents let us watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Always liked westerns because of it.

Brother and sister were less than pleased with the name.
That's a great name :thumb: :lol:

RonnieFranchise

Pet Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:51 pm

Our critter was just diagnosed diabetic, too. Dr Rxed the Purina DM kibble, and she (the cat, not the vet) horfs it down like a champ. Followup visit on Friday will determine if diet alone can manage her care or if we need to do the insulin thing.
I had a diabetic cat several years ago. the insulin thing was actually pretty easy. you wait until they're eating and shoot them up, right in the hip. cat doesn't notice a thing and you learn a new skill.
Our vet actually said do the scruff of their neck, no nerves in there due to mama kitty picking them up by it. It's really easy. She has been on it for a couple years now and never once has given me ish about it.

RonnieFranchise

Pet Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:57 pm

Speaking of the diabetic cat food, I bought a case of the moist DM food and left it on the landing of the stairwell (cat stays downstairs because the upstairs is remodeled and she loves to claw things). I went into the bedroom to fold clothes. While I did that the stupid Cocker Spaniel rips the case to shreds, actually manages to bust into one of the cans, and eats half of it, along with at least some of the can. Tried to open another one before I found her. Didn't occur to me that she would be able to tell there was food in there let along actually manage to open a can with just her teeth.

Still trying to decide if this was brilliant or stupid.

shoeshine boy

Pet Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:01 pm

Our vet actually said do the scruff of their neck, no nerves in there due to mama kitty picking them up by it. It's really easy. She has been on it for a couple years now and never once has given me ish about it.
makes sense. we had another cat that had kidney issues and her last 4 months we had to give her IV fluids twice a day and the scruff of the neck was where we'd put the needle. that was significantly harder, especially when my SO was out of town and I was on my own.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:05 pm

makes sense. we had another cat that had kidney issues and her last 4 months we had to give her IV fluids twice a day and the scruff of the neck was where we'd put the needle. that was significantly harder, especially when my SO was out of town and I was on my own.
My wife and I gave our last cat SQ fluids daily for more than a year to help with her kidney disease. Definitely not an easy thing to do, and I imagine that it’s worse on a cat that isn’t 22 and not very strong. Still worth the effort, though.

AliquippaPen

Pet Thread

Postby AliquippaPen » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:10 pm

I have a Great Pyrenees and a Corgi.

The Corgi runs the house.

obhave

Pet Thread

Postby obhave » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:01 am

Poor puppy ended up in the hospital on Sunday for eating something (unknown...) she shouldn't have. Back in again today because she is back to feeling awful. :cry:

So helpless and she is very grumpy at me.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:40 am

Poor pup. :(

King Colby

Pet Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:03 pm

My buddy won't golf with me because he won't leave his puppy for that long. Is this normal behavior? He got him 6 weeks ago

MR25

Pet Thread

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:04 pm

Does he not have a crate for his puppy?

We used to put my dog in the crate and cover it with a blanket.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:12 pm

You sure it's not a bird?

obhave

Pet Thread

Postby obhave » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:29 pm

My buddy won't golf with me because he won't leave his puppy for that long. Is this normal behavior? He got him 6 weeks ago
If it's only 3-4 months old it can only stay in a crate for 3-4hours. Maybe they would expect to be gone for longer than that time?

King Colby

Pet Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:38 pm

If it's only 3-4 months old it can only stay in a crate for 3-4hours. Maybe they would expect to be gone for longer than that time?
Yep it would be 5-6 hours. Guess it's normal behavior then...

Hope your pup recovers quickly

Shyster

Pet Thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:59 pm

My cat Honey often gets eye boogers, so I bought some eye-booger wipes for pets from Amazon. She hates it when I try to wipe her, so I haven't done it too much. But I have been using the wipes on myself, and they work great. Very refreshing. I think I'll buy some more.