shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:49 am

That's the spirit.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Good lord.

Our dog was acting funny in the yard, so I went out there, and sure enough she was nose to nose with a little newborn bunny with eyes that hadn't even opened yet. I immediately had a sinking feeling.

I go over under the swingset...our goldendoodle completely slaughtered a baby bunny nest. Just destroyed it. There were six newborn bunnies in varying degrees of decay, rabbit fur (from what I assume is the Mom), etc. It is a scene from nightmares.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:12 pm

Update: I have the newborn bunny in a box with heat and called the wildlife rehabilitator in Lancaster County. She said I could drop him off at her home...which is a 50 mile, 1 hour 10 minute drive each way on the other side of the Susquehanna. Um....

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu May 30, 2019 7:09 pm

Do it.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:43 am

Do it.
Why don't you come visit your publisher and stop on your way back?

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:10 am

You can either add to the slaughter wrought by your murder-dog, or take a couple hours of your life to save the bunny.

Since you have gone to the effort of sparing that one bunny, you are sort of resigned to that creature inhabiting your subconscious thoughts for, perhaps, a very long time. You can determine the framework of that engagement by whether or not you make that one car trip.

Troy Loney

Pet Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 31, 2019 11:20 am

I was walking my dog the other day, listening to headphones when some weirdo dude started talking to me from the top of his stairs. After going through the rigmarole of stopping the podcast and indicating that I have no clue what he was blabbering about, I understood that he was asking me if my dog was a bird killer. While annoyed at having to break stride to address the nonsense, I politely informed him that he is not, in fact a bird killer. Then the dude was like "good, we don't like bird killer's around here". This unfortunately reminded me of an incident that happened back when I was a kid where this psycho that lived down the street from me murdered one of his neighbors and the dog because of something the dog had done.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:22 am

:shock:

Troy Loney

Pet Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 31, 2019 11:32 am

:shock:
And that was only the second most **** up thing that happened in Bethel Park when I was a kid.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:40 pm

You can either add to the slaughter wrought by your murder-dog, or take a couple hours of your life to save the bunny.

Since you have gone to the effort of sparing that one bunny, you are sort of resigned to that creature inhabiting your subconscious thoughts for, perhaps, a very long time. You can determine the framework of that engagement by whether or not you make that one car trip.
Update: Bunny was in rough shape and clearly struggling. He had a wound on his back that, while not bleeding heavily, was nasty. When I went to check on him this morning, several flies had burrowed in and were eating his exposed flesh. I decided to make an executive decision.

The rest of the dead babies were gone this morning from under the swingset, so I am guessing an enterprising predator/scavenger found them. I'm honestly thinking my dog hugged them to death, as it were. She was down close to the ground with the last one and just watching it, with no intention of hurting it further. Probably just wanted to play and didn't know her own strength, because she is the most gentle dog I've ever known.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:52 pm

Geesh....... :|

Your murder-doodle is a psychopath.
:wink:

redwill

Pet Thread

Postby redwill » Fri May 31, 2019 12:56 pm

Raiding bunny nests has happened at least a dozen times at my place.

I wanna grab the mother and shout, "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?! You've got 36 acres of my property to build your nest in and you choose the four acres of fenced area that TWENTY DOGS traverse five times a day?! Can you not see, hear, or smell?!"

The worst part, which I presume you have now had to do, is when the dogs don't kill the baby bunnies. My dogs, for whatever reason, tend to maim and mangle but not always kill them. Then I gotta kill 'em (the bunnies, not the dogs). It's tough.

Vets I've talked to are of differing opinion: Put them in a bag and into the freezer or hook up the bag to the tailpipe of my running truck. It's sadness. I feel your pain.
Last edited by redwill on Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm

Geesh....... :|

Your murder-doodle is a psychopath.
:wink:
Murder-doodle....I like that :lol:

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:06 pm

I wanna grab the mother and shout, "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?! You've got 36 acres of my property to build your nest in and you choose the four acres of fenced area that TWENTY DOGS traversed five times a day?! Can you not see, hear, or smell?!"

The worst part, which I presume you have now had to do, is when the dogs don't kill the baby bunnies. My dogs, for whatever reason, tend to maim and mangle but not always kill them. Then I gotta kill 'em (the bunnies, not the dogs). It's tough.
Yup...I took a close look and one of the others was just barely breathing so I ended it. There is a nice row of low pine trees in my neighbor's yard that are safe, sheltered, and a perfect place to have a bunny nest. Our dog is outside all the time, so the mother did not choose wisely.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Pet Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 am

We have a trip scheduled in July where my wife and I are heading to Savannah for a nice little get away. My MIL is watching our kiddo, but we remembered last week that we have two dogs. Both are very low maintenance, low energy, but high anxiety dogs. They do great with sitters, but not very well with boarding.

Typically we hire one of a handful of grad students that we know and trust. Unfortunately our usual list of sitters are all unavailable, so we're scrambling now to find a house/dog sitter. I'm looking at rover.com as an option. They have basic background checks on most sitters and pretty much all of them have plenty of reviews that make me think they're trustworthy enough.

Anyone ever use such a site?

willeyeam

Pet Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 am

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:25 am

We have a trip scheduled in July where my wife and I are heading to Savannah for a nice little get away. My MIL is watching our kiddo, but we remembered last week that we have two dogs. Both are very low maintenance, low energy, but high anxiety dogs. They do great with sitters, but not very well with boarding.

Typically we hire one of a handful of grad students that we know and trust. Unfortunately our usual list of sitters are all unavailable, so we're scrambling now to find a house/dog sitter. I'm looking at rover.com as an option. They have basic background checks on most sitters and pretty much all of them have plenty of reviews that make me think they're trustworthy enough.

Stand by... we used a pet sitter (for the cat) when we went to Vietnam, and that was a full 2-week absence. She was great, came by every other day and spent 45 minutes or so playing with the critter and giving her loves and such, would send us pictures and videos of her, etc. I texted Mrs Tif for the name of the service (might have been a local-to-SF kind of thing), but I'll let you know when she gets back to me.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:45 am

Wow, this woman is insane. She was sitting on the couch and walking around naked with her FREAKING MOTHER in the room. I found her on Facebook...she is keeping the delusion going there too:
An open letter to the world:
Please keep in mind that things will always be portrayed in whatever way makes them appear most dramatic; critical components will be ignored if they serve to make a story more news-worthy.
That said: very, VERY few of you know what truly happened--but hopefully those that know me can only assume the story has been skewed. People are petty and say what they must to make things look the way they want.
Please, say something to me, I am happy to share the truth--including that which may be unbecoming.
There was blood drawn, there were severe injuries ignored, confusion misconstrued.
Should anyone care about the TRUTH, then don't seek it through any news outlet. I have all interviews, all parties' sides. I would love to share the unbiased story.
What a crock of sht.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:52 am

"There was.... confusion misconstrued."

What does that even mean?

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Stand by... we used a pet sitter (for the cat) when we went to Vietnam, and that was a full 2-week absence. She was great, came by every other day and spent 45 minutes or so playing with the critter and giving her loves and such, would send us pictures and videos of her, etc. I texted Mrs Tif for the name of the service (might have been a local-to-SF kind of thing), but I'll let you know when she gets back to me.
Nvm, the woman was a one-off in San Mateo, not part of a larger company.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Pet Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Two of my friends are/were rover sitters and they enjoyed the experience of watching the dogs. I don't think its the sort of gig you sign up for without really liking dogs.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:29 pm

My sitter is fantastic.

Robin is the sitter for my area, but I would trust whoever Gail sent over: https://amshelpetsit.com/

They cover a lot of the North Hills.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Rover is pretty trustworthy in my experience. You are obviously going to have total weirdos every now and then that walk around naked while their mom is over at the dog's house, but I would imagine that's a small, small minority. Most genuinely love dogs.

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:44 pm

Rover is pretty trustworthy in my experience. You are obviously going to have total weirdos every now and then that walk around naked while their mom is over at the dog's house, but I would imagine that's a small, small minority. Most genuinely love dogs.
Just make sure she's hot and you have cameras, amirite?