Pet Thread

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:07 pm

That's way better than I thought it would be when I saw you were the last post in the thread. Sounds like a really thoughtful and thorough vet, that's awesome. Our vet was the opposite and we believe it ended up costing us a year or two with the pup and a few grand extra in procedures that ultimately did nothing but prolong the inevitable.

Good luck to Geno.
Thanks. We switched to this vet when we moved further east last year after some recommendations and being unhappy with our old vet. Anytime you call they always get you in same day if its urgent, or next day at the latest, and they are always super thorough and compassionate, and upfront about what they think is worth doing. Never try to push towards procedures just for money etc.

They also agreed that he has some onset doggy dementia...guess there is some medication/supplements that can help with that, but they want to take care of the bladder stones/infections first then deal with that after he is healthier.

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:46 am

Geno came home last night. Doing good. He's on antibiotics for the next 10 days as well as some stuff for his gastro issues. Have to switch him to Rx kidney dog food which isn't cheap... but again what can you do. Have to take him back today to get his catheter/IV taken out. They sent him home last night with it in just to make sure all was ok and they he didn't have any other issues that they needed to give him fluids again.

Vet said give him a week or two to recover and then can schedule to get his bladder stones out as well as pull all of his bad teeth.

He was not happy about having to wear a cone last night to not mess with his paw where the iv needle was.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Pet Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:01 am

Roll tide

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:17 pm

That dog just needed a battery change.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:25 pm

Great shot. Get well soon Geno! Feed that dog some borscht.

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Super cute pup! Hope he feels better soon!

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:10 pm

I <3 Geno

Ad@m

Pet Thread

Postby Ad@m » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:48 pm

Does anyone use Bravecto or NexGard for tick prevention?

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:14 pm

It's been over 18 months since our dog passed away. And I've finally gotten to the point where I can look at shelter dogs without getting upset. So we are exploring our plan to adopt a senior dog that needs a place to rest up and enjoy life for a few years before passing on. To that end we have an appointment with the Humane Society a county over to visit this old girl on Thursday:

I teared up a little yesterday when we brought Cadence's stuff from the basement to see what can be reused, but I'll be okay. It's just a little on the nose because tomorrow is the anniversary of the day we adopted Cadence in 2007. I was joking with my wife, she asked if Cadence would be okay with a new dog being here; I laughed because she was an incredibly jealous dog and would hate everything about this. :lol:

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:18 pm

That’s a good looking dog. Good on you

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:19 pm

She could stand to eat a cheeseburger or two but I think she'll be in fine shape by Christmas.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:22 pm

Good on you for adopting a senior. Don't think I could do it.

Gaucho

Pet Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:21 pm

:thumb:

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:25 pm

Adopting senior dogs is one of the nicest things you can do. Good on you @dodint

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:09 pm

I'm struggling on what to do with Geno again. He hasn't had any more bloody incidents since he came back from the vets a few weeks ago. He however is back to just pacing up and down the hall, shaking alot...scaring himself just by walking sometimes. Plus he is just peeing all over the place now alot. Even if he goes out...he comes back in and will forget he was out 10 minutes ago and just Pee again.

I'm struggling on putting out 2k to get his bladder stones removed...and his teeth fixed and asking is it really worth it? He's eating, I don't think he is in pain (but I'm not sure), but he also may not even know what is going on half the time. I'm trying to figure out if he is having a quality life at this point, or if he is just kind of living in a zombie like existence. Every once in a while he perks up, but he just doesn't seem like himself.

Like I don't want to call the vet and be like...based on what I'm seeing I think it might be better to put him down rather than to spend 2k or more getting this surgery and his teeth fixed, but I'm really perplexed on what to do. Him peeing everywhere recently all over the house and on the furniture isn't helping things either.

CBear3

Pet Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Good on you dodint, that's a very noble thing to do. And maybe she's small enough to sneak into the golf cart and ride around the basket.

Skullman, I don't envy being you. When we found out Flurry was terminal it was a small blessing that there really wasn't anything they could do to stop the cancer. No matter what you do, know that you'll likely always question if you did it too soon. It's not a fun thought, but it feels like the reality. The only comfort is in knowing that if you waited two weeks more you'd still be asking yourself the same question.

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:34 pm

Yeah... things just seem to be accelerating especially the peeing everywhere.. even after being outside, and the walking up and down the hallway over and over and over. It just doesn't seem like he is in pain (other than the shaking), but I dunno.

I'll probably call the vet tomorrow and get an appointment for next week.

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:56 pm

I’d try to level with the vet. What are we looking at here? If we take care of the bladder stones and teeth, are we good to go? What’s with this shaking? I’m concerned about sinking that cost into a dog that it won’t improve their quality of life. If it were your dog, what would you do?

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:03 pm

I would definitely run it by your vet. If they're trustworthy, they should be honest about whether the procedures will truly improve the dog's quality of life vs just buying some more time to linger.

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:05 pm

I trust my vet as I posted above when I took him in a few weeks back and he had to be admitted etc.

I guess I'm just having trouble trying to ask those hard questions. Guess I just need to do it.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:48 pm

We ended up adopting the senior pictured above. She was a stray, found without a collar or a chip, so we felt okay renaming her. We went with "Ava." It's shorter than Angelica but still retains the 'A' sounds. Also, it's Persian for 'voice' which I thought was apt since our first dogs name was "Cadence." Not that it matters much, I think she's mostly deaf or at the least hard of hearing.

She's bigger than we thought, weighing in at 52lbs. And I imagine she'll pack a few more on. She has a healthy appetite and gets around on her own at a plodding pace. When she was turned into the shelter she had severely overgrown nails and her front feet may be deformed with an injury from that, or arthritis. We've started her on Cosequin to see if we can loosen her up a bit. Her baseline appointment with the vet is on Tuesday so we'll see what they say.

She's a bit of a derp, as they do. Loves rolling around in the grass and leaves. It was a nice day today so we sat outside for lunch:

It's absolutely eerie how opposite she is from Cadence, though. Which I welcome because I was worried about not warming up to a new dog. Ava doesn't bark, I literally have not heard her bark once yet. She doesn't chase things, won't play with toys. Completely opposite of our old terrier. She just sleeps 20 hours a day and will shadow me or my wife continually while awake.
She is house trained despite the shelter saying she was probably an outside dog, which is great. Didn't want to housetrain an elderly dog. :lol:

Hope she has a few good years left, maybe even get her to the beach next year. :thumb:

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:54 pm

That's awesome @dodint .

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:54 pm

She's adorable! You're a hero for adopting a senior dog. I wish I had the guts to do that.

Troy Loney

Pet Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:55 pm

Looks like an angel, glad she's getting a good home

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:57 pm

She's adorable! You're a hero for adopting a senior dog. I wish I had the guts to do that.
In a way it's selfish. I mean, I was devastated when the dog we adopted as a puppy died at 13 years. I can't possibly get that attached to Ava in what must be a shorter time period. RIGHT? ;)