Pet Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Pet Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:58 am

Had some rando dog stroll up to us last night while we were outside enjoying the lovely weather. Got him leashed up, seemed super friendly. Got him some water and posted on the local pet rescue group on FB.

Turns out the same dog went missing 3 days ago... and 3 months ago... so while that's clearly bad, at least the group knew exactly where the dog owners lived. Popped him into my car and drove him over. Pulled into the driveway and there's a couple guys standing there chatting. I asked if they were missing a dog and they said no. So I asked if they could take a look and see if they know who's dog it is. Guy looked in and just sighed. "Dog belongs to those guys over there... They just moved in and I don't think they've figured out how to keep the dog at the house. I think there's a lot of things they've not figured out." Weird thing to say, but alright.

Pulled into the correct home. On my way to the porch, I noticed the front window was open and the screen had a huge hole in it. Knocked on the door and there's a shirtless dude sitting on the couch who looked scared as **** that I just knocked on his door, and a lady sitting next to him puts whatever she was holding under a pillow and comes to the door.

"Are you guys missing a dog?"

"Yeah!... wait, how did you know it was us?"

"I posted on FB about it and people told me this was your dog, so I figured I'd drive him over."

"I went to pick my kid up from daycare and he chewed through the screen window..."

I didn't see a kid or any kid stuff, but whatever. Just gave them their dog back and left.

The dog clearly needed a nail trim, and there was something up with the hair on his back end. If he comes around again, we're taking him to the local shelter and let the owners come get him.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:53 pm

How did the dog respond to all of this, its body language, etc. Did the people refer to the dog by its name, did he respond to them?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Pet Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:41 pm

Yep. He wasn't upset by being there, didn't show fear or cowardice toward the lady. Seemed happy to be with her. And the person on FB told me the dog's name. As soon as the lady got him she said the dog's name without me ever saying it. Everything was on the up and up, but getting out 3 times in a matter of months where someone got him and back to the owners... that seems like a bit much.

Shyster

Pet Thread

Postby Shyster » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:17 am

Not for owners who are likely high most of the time, which would be my guess.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:27 am

Remember, those three escapes are the minimum number it can be.

count2infinity

Pet Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:30 am

Right... I'm giving a lot of benefit of the doubt. This was the first time I've seen the dog, and the home is a 15 minute walk through the woods to our place. Like I said, if I see the dog again, it's not going back to the owners.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:34 am

Mrs c2i or a friend should be the one to do the dropoff in that case. You don't want to be the one on the shelter/rescue CCTV turning in a "no ID" pet when you've previously returned the dog to its owners and know their address.

count2infinity

Pet Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:37 am

My wife volunteers at the shelter, nothing would happen to me if I dropped it off there.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:42 am

Then I would absolutely 100% do not take the dog to that shelter, or a sister/brother shelter within the same umbrella.

RonnieFranchise

Pet Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:32 pm

My dogs hear the Life 360 app sound that says my daughter is home and they go nuts. Best thing ever.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:33 pm

Took two of our cats to the vet today for echos. They're brothers, and one has heart disease, so we wanted to make sure that the other one did not. Good news all around - the one with heart disease had no change from his last echo about 9 months ago, and his brother does not have heart disease. I'll still need to take the one in for an echo every six months, but it is what it is. $465/echo is going to add up quickly.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:05 pm

I legit forgot that Chewy also handled prescriptions, so I switched our cat's atenolol to them. Roughly 75% cheaper, which will add up given that this is a lifetime medication for him.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:24 am

Does anyone know a vet or service that does in-home euthanasia in the Greensburg/Latrobe area? Lap of Love only comes out to Irwin.

The vet that we used for our prior dog was amazing, but unfortunately, he passed away. I know some vets will do it for their patients but I'm not sure if any will come out as a one-time thing. I'm going to send a note to my own vet on Monday but I thought I'd ask the brain trust here if they knew anyone.

DigitalGypsy66

Pet Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:15 pm

:cry:

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:17 pm

Hope you can find someone who can help out, dodint.

CBear3

Pet Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:50 pm

Sorry to hear dodint, but hopefully you find somebody so she can be comfortable at home.

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:05 pm

Ugh this thread sometimes. Sorry @dodint

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:31 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment but don't be sorry. We adopted her thinking she'd make it about 6-8 months. It's been two and a half years. She's overstayed her welcome. ;)

Not trying to be flippant, and my heart already hurts just trying to arrange this, but she's gotten multiple years of a life she never could have hoped for so now we're just trying to give her the best end game possible.

Her body is actually pretty healthy, but her mind is starting to slip. And her knees are completely shot to the point that she is starting to try to get around just dragging herself with her front paws. Her quality of life has dropped below the Mendoza line so now it's time for her to find eternal comfort.

She'll be greatly missed though, she's a sweet old lady.

genoscoif

Pet Thread

Postby genoscoif » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:41 pm

You know, for a professional curmudgeon....

Very sorry, dodint. :cry:

I am always so grateful that there are people that have the strength to take in elderly adoptees like you and yours. We considered it and both agreed that we just couldn't handle it. You gave and continue to give her everything she needed.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:45 pm

Since we're talking about Ava I'll post a picture of us sitting outside waiting for the eclipse in the back yard. She didn't know what all the fuss was about about humored me anyway.

count2infinity

Pet Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:35 pm

Sorry to hear it, Dodint. Thanks for giving her a good last few years. Some dogs don’t get that chance.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:07 pm

that stinks, dodint

have you reached out to lap of love or did you see on their website they have a boundary of Irwin? I’d try to finagle something with them. maybe for an added cost

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:22 pm

Old dogs, man..................

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:50 pm

that stinks, dodint

have you reached out to lap of love or did you see on their website they have a boundary of Irwin? I’d try to finagle something with them. maybe for an added cost
I'll call. Money isn't really an object. We have kicked around the idea of renting an AirBnB for this purpose but I think that probably is a wash as the whole point is to do it at home where the dog is comfortable.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:00 pm

that stinks, dodint

I'll call. Money isn't really an object. We have kicked around the idea of renting an AirBnB for this purpose but I think that probably is a wash as the whole point is to do it at home where the dog is comfortable.
totally agree about the in home thing. I would give them a call and if they said no, I would honestly look at their google reviews and try to grab a vet’s name and contact them directly. The vet we used was specifically called out in many reviews and I looked up where he practices. Might need to back door it but I think it’s time well spent to get it done in home