Pet Thread

Ad@m

Pet Thread

Postby Ad@m » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:17 am

:D

RonnieFranchise

Pet Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:27 am

So you can't leave anything remotely edible on our dining room table because as soon as there's no human presence my younger cocker spaniel is gonna get up there and eat it.

Mrs. F. left two bags of jellybeans from V Day to take in to work this morning. Doggo ate all of one and some of the other.

2 hours later doggo is now puking said jellybeans back up, only she has thrown up like 5 bags worth. OMG it's awful. At least she has kept it to the hardwood and not on the carpet.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:09 pm

Anyone ever use some sort of pet sitting service before? I'm looking for alternatives to having to constantly bother my neighbor about watching after our cats while we're on vacation. I found rover.com, but for drop-in rates the charges are insane if you have multiple pets ($10-$12 more per additional cat). I just need somebody to feed them and do litter once a day... shouldn't matter if we have one or four cats, really.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:11 pm

We had a really nice local place when we lived in Allison Park.

NTP66

Pet Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:16 pm

We used to board our last cat at our old vet, which was perfect - especially when she required daily subq fluids. But four cats... need to keep them at home, really.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:18 pm

We are toying with the idea of having a pet sitter come to our house 3 times a day instead of boarding our dogs this summer. Our GSP is getting to old for that, IMO

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:27 am

Talk to the boarders about the specific conditions for the doggos. Most of the ones we've used can segregate older/less able dogs off to sub-groups that are more........... 'energy level appropriate'. They may even put the dog in a boarding room vs playcare, where it doesn't really interact with other dogs, and just plays with people all day (or sleeps, usually they sleep).

I understand it can also be a worry with the general schlepp of trucking the dog back and forth, but if it's more about what goes on during the day, talk to the daycare people about accommodations.

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:31 pm

Our kennel is on a guy’s property and he tells us every time when we pick them up that our GSP is his favorite boarder and that he even lets him walk around the property with him. So I know that he gets special treatment there, but I don’t know. I makes me uneasy having him stay somewhere that isn’t home.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:54 pm

I am pretty sure Ava's kidneys have stopped working. Either that or she has gone diabetic overnight despite no changes in her diet or medication.

Sudden onset excessive urination and subsequent heavy water intake. She is perfectly fine in every other way; no pain, no decrease in appetite, still voiding, no other noticeable change. She just pisses in the house every 90 minutes or so. Up until last week she was fully house trained.

Going to the vet tomorrow. They asked me to try and keep her from urinating before the visit so they can take a sterile sample. Yeah. Sure, okay. She's taken to pissing on the steps as soon as we get out the door. I guess I will carry her.

skullman80

Pet Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:00 pm

I am pretty sure Ava's kidneys have stopped working. Either that or she has gone diabetic overnight despite no changes in her diet or medication.

Sudden onset excessive urination and subsequent heavy water intake. She is perfectly fine in every other way; no pain, no decrease in appetite, still voiding, no other noticeable change. She just pisses in the house every 90 minutes or so. Up until last week she was fully house trained.

Going to the vet tomorrow. They asked me to try and keep her from urinating before the visit so they can take a sterile sample. Yeah. Sure, okay. She's taken to pissing on the steps as soon as we get out the door. I guess I will carry her.
Sorry man that sucks 😞.

We used diapers on Geno when he became incontinent. Hopefully her kidneys are ok.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:08 pm

I wfh so I take her out every hour or so. It was fairly pleasant on a day like today. Not really doable for the long term.

shafnutz05

Pet Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:15 am

Ugh man sorry to hear that.

Joegap

Pet Thread

Postby Joegap » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:32 am

My dog had those exact symptoms when he was diagnosed with diabetes. If that is the diagnosis let me know and I can share some helpful advice with you.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:38 am

It could absolutely be diabetes. I just don't understand how it happens overnight. She went from perfectly house-trained to pissing puddles on Feb 21st. I thought it was behavioral at first because her routine had been disrupted, and then maybe a UTI. But given the sheer quantity of urine I think it's something else.

Thanks, I'll let you know.

Joegap

Pet Thread

Postby Joegap » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:43 am

Literally the same thing happened to my guy. He was completely fine one day and the next day he was just chugging water and having to go out way more. I was thinking it was a UTI or something. Was shocked when the vet told me it was diabetes.

tifosi77

Pet Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:38 pm

Same with our cat critter, and we also thought it was an infection. Just an alarmingly sudden onset of symptoms for a condition like diabetes.

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:30 pm

WBC and RBC counts are 10x what they should be, so there is an infection. Going to treat it as a UTI for now and do another lab check in two weeks. Vet seems to be leaning towards there being a stone or tumor upstream somewhere but we'll see what this course of treatment does.

Poor dog wasn't allowed to pee before the visit, so they could pull a sample. They flipped her over it took it out via needle. I should've taken her out when they went to look at the blood, because she gave up and emptied her bladder while she was laying on the table. Bath time as soon as we got home.

Ad@m

Pet Thread

Postby Ad@m » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:37 pm

:D

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:38 pm

Probably ate its owner.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Pet Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:24 pm

Those first few kisses it gives the young guy.....that got me

Ad@m

Pet Thread

Postby Ad@m » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:02 pm

meow

Pet Thread

Postby meow » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:53 pm

WBC and RBC counts are 10x what they should be, so there is an infection. Going to treat it as a UTI for now and do another lab check in two weeks. Vet seems to be leaning towards there being a stone or tumor upstream somewhere but we'll see what this course of treatment does.

Poor dog wasn't allowed to pee before the visit, so they could pull a sample. They flipped her over it took it out via needle. I should've taken her out when they went to look at the blood, because she gave up and emptied her bladder while she was laying on the table. Bath time as soon as we got home.
update please

dodint

Pet Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:17 pm

Antibiotics cleared up the infection. About halfway through the course of treatment. Behavior is back to normal. If she finishes the medication and the infection comes back we'll do some imagery to look for a mass or stones.

Thanks for asking.

AuthorTony

Pet Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:26 pm

Glad things are going okay so far!

CBear3

Pet Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 pm

Good to hear!

Getting ready to take our pup on a 12 hour road trip. Lord help me.