All Things Guns & Ammo

Jim

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Jim » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:10 am

The fact that no one has a problem with the comparison says a lot about the people on this board. I'd like to thank everyone for opening my eyes.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:57 am

This is a debate between you two, only a few people I think even come into this thread.

Whether it’s an asinine comparison or not, I personally don’t even want to engage with you based on how you’ve spoken to Shyster.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:01 pm

I was summoned here by a reported post. Have never stepped foot in this thread previously. I’d image most others have not either.

Jim: have you ever heard the old saying “if you think everyone in the room is an dadhole, then you’re probably the dadhole”? Just curious.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:01 pm

Jim, you are drawing an inappropriate distinction between one fundamental right and another because........ well, I honestly I don't know why, but that's not how this kind of thing works.
You don't get to make an exception for how you treat this fundamental right, but say that same thinking doesn't apply to this other one. That's why I've become so animated over gun rights in the last 3-4 years; I'm not some 2A truther - I don't even believe the current SCOTUS interpretation of 2A is correct, but it is what it is - it just makes me squeamish to see the capricious zeal some people have in curtailing the legal exercise of a fundamental Constitutional right. If you don't like conflating restrictions on 2nd Amendment freedoms with Equal Protection matters, just sub out whatever other fundamental right makes you less triggered. Compare any two of the 5 freedoms of the 1st Amendment. Compare any one of them to protection from unreasonable searches of your property. Whatever. We do not have a designation in this country for 'domestic terrorism', because that's a highly loaded term under US law, and invoking such a classification would realistically bring the law into conflict with things like freedom of assembly and freedom of association, among others.

There is not a distinction under the law between [fundamental right] and [fundamental right].

For example, I live in a state with a legislative regime informed by some completely arbitrary decisions and which has lead to the implementation of some frankly stupid 'common sense' controls. Basically, handgun manufacturers can't sell new semi-auto handguns here until they invent alchemy. There hasn't been a truly new handgun design available for sale here in like 10 years (new additions to the roster tend to be guns existing on the list but available in a new color, or something silly like that), and eventually manufacturers are going to just quit making legacy arms to suit this market. When the roster went into effect, there were over 1,400 pistols approved; today, there are under 750...... and that's the point of the thing. It's not a 'safety' consideration (all these pistol that have fallen off the list, or the new designs that have never made the list are available in all 49 other states), it's a backdoor ban. And the ease with which people accept this logic here, in this instance, alarms me, because the same type of thinking might some day be applied to the restriction of other rights. To me, it's no different than lawmakers - especially in pandemic times - limiting access to voting because 'voter fraud', which the current Loser-In-Chief has gone substantially out of his way to demonstrate is not actually a thing. It's a loose justification to limit the free exercise of a fundamental Constitutional right because you're satisfying a personal political agenda, not serving a legitimate and narrowly-defined public interest.

I am 100% in favor of identifying and exploring means of limiting gun crime. Seeing to it that I am not able to legally purchase a Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 is comprehensively not furthering that goal. What it does do is soften the rigidity of the guard rails so that some day in the future, the free exercise of some other right may be similarly impaired. And that's not cricket.
(Spoilered because of word wall reasons)

Jim

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Jim » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:29 pm

I was summoned here by a reported post. Have never stepped foot in this thread previously. I’d image most others have not either.

Jim: have you ever heard the old saying “if you think everyone in the room is an dadhole, then you’re probably the dadhole”? Just curious.

I am an ahole, I've never denied that. (Speaking of which, YouTube "dadhole" if you never have)

You may notice that I responded/quoted that ignorant asshat clown's posts discussing the actual topic with normal conversation. But I responded/quoted to that ignorant asshat clown's posts comparing to Rosa Parks they way it should have been responded to, like I am talking to an ignorant asshat clown.

If you think that the fight to have a pistol brace is comparable to Rosa Parks' actions... then you deserve all of the pure spite that I can muster.

I can ban myself from this thread they way I did the political thread. All the last days have done is prove to me that the opinions in this thread aren't worth the electricity lighting my screen.

The ironic thing is that I never said pistol braces should be banned. It's also funny that the term "fundamental" right is being tossed around, yet people can't grasp the "fundamental" ignorant asshat clown-ness of the Rosa Parks comparison. People that don't see that can foe me or ignore me or whatever this site uses. Frankly, please do that. Your ignorant asshat clown opinions on anything isn't worth my time so if you don't respond to anything of mine, all the better. You also won't have to bee my oh-so-meanness.

Like I said, I won't came back into this thread. Actually, I'll just avoid the entire "Off Topic" section.

Whoever cried to daddy the first time what to push the button again?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:42 pm

K

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:45 pm

I just feel like you’ve come with nothing but anger that really isn’t necessary.

Banning yourself sounds good though too, I don’t know if anyone in here really was even paying attention since there’s only 5-6 that come in here.

There’s only one person that outright is the aggressor here in this discussion so I’m not sure why you’re upset you’re not seeing anyone else engage.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:39 pm

I frankly thought it was an apt comparison that shyster made.

Flame me.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:29 am

To be clear, I was not arguing that "the fight to have a pistol brace is comparable to Rosa Parks' actions." I was arguing that the same legal principles apply to the constitutional rights that apply to pistol braces and to the constitutional rights that applied to Rosa Parks. The American common-law legal system works by applying precedent. If there is no precedent (that is, prior court cases) that exactly matches the facts of the current case, then the legal system works on analogies. Courts and judges look at similar cases (similar in fact, law, or both) and typically adopt the rulings from the most analogous cases.

Many of the legal principles that courts have adopted to evaluate Second Amendment issues are drawn directly from court cases dealing with other rights and other amendments. For example, the Supreme Court official has not ruled on the level of scrutiny that applies to Second Amendment cases. Most courts, however, have applied a standard called "intermediate scrutiny." Intermediate scrutiny was not created specifically for Second Amendment cases. The concept was actually created by the Supreme Court in Craig v. Boren, 429 U.S. 190 (1976), which is a case that dealt with gender classifications under the Equal Protection Clause. Which, of course, would be the same clause of the Constitution that was not being enforced when Rosa Parks was told to sit in the back of the bus. Intermediate scrutiny also applies to certain First Amendment cases, such as content-neutral speech restrictions. And intermediate scrutiny has been applied to Second Amendment cases specifically because courts have found the right covered by the Second Amendment to be similar in scope to the First Amendment. The legal analysis of constitutional rights is interrelated and overlapping.

And that was the point of my comparison to Rosa Parks. Jim was basically making a triviality argument: that the imposition on the RKBA "would have zero impact on anyone's life or actual rights" because pistol braces are just stupid accessories. But those sorts of triviality arguments have not flown when it comes to other rights, including the Equal Protection Clause. Because those arguments have been rejected in those other cases dealing with other fundamental constitutional rights, then they should also be rejected for Second Amendment cases.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:56 pm

NICS numbers are in for December. There were nearly 2 million checks in December, which was an increase of 22.7% over December 2019. All in all, more than 21 million background checks were conducted in 2020 for the sale of a firearm, which surpassed 2019’s totals by 60% and the prior record year of 2016 by 34%. NSSF estimates that more than 8.4 million people legally purchased a firearm for the first time in 2020. These numbers are likely low, as they do not count the handful of states (including PA) that use their own systems rather than NICS, and 25 states have some sort of exception for bypassing NICS checks for dealer sales, such as a law that permits the holder of an active CCW permit to bypass the NICS check.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:03 pm

I went to try and purchase a 204 varmint gun on Saturday and the shop had none in stock and a very limited selection available for ordering.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:07 pm

I would imagine that most gun companies are focusing on the high-demand items, such as semi-auto rifles and handguns, to the exclusion of their other less common offerings. I'd really like to buy a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Special, for example, but I figure it will probably be at least 2022 before they make any runs of those.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:33 am

It's kind of equal parts hilarious and frustrating and terrifying to go on to the website of Turner's Outdoorsman - sort of "California Cabela's" - and do a search for pretty much any category of firearm and filter the results by "in stock".

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm

I went to one of our local gun stores and he had NOTHING in stock. No firearms, no ammo, no gun parts. Nothing.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:02 pm

After today, I don't think that situation is going to get any better, unfortunately.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:59 pm

I see a dunhams by me has a rock island VR60 in stock and I think I'll be there at 9am tomorrow to buy it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:41 am

I went to one of our local gun stores and he had NOTHING in stock. No firearms, no ammo, no gun parts. Nothing.
You sure u weren’t in a bakery or something an just confused?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:42 am

You sure u weren’t in a bakery or something an just confused?
It's not implausible

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 pm

Took the plunge and bought an Aero M5 .308 AR Lower tonight and some mags. Wanted to get it in prior to any upcoming screwery.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:36 pm

Did I mention I pulled the trigger on a rock island vr60? I know I was thinking about it. Well I did it. :lol:

Its literally almost impossible to find frigging 12ga shells now...

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:54 am

count2infinity

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:11 pm

The music overlay makes me giggle...

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Sounds about right

Tomas

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Tomas » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Colt Holding Company acquired by Czech "CZG":

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... yznys_mkop

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:26 pm

Ha. Just coming in here to post that. Great news. Colt has been effing up and teetering in and out of bankruptcy for years. CZ is a solid company that makes great products and has a strong business. CZ has been making 1911-style guns under the Dan Wesson name for years. I wonder if those guns will now be branded as Colts.

Not sure if its true, but one of the things I've heard about Colt was that a lot of their machinery was outdated and worn out, but they didn't have the money to upgrade. That's why their product lineup has been mostly stagnant. For years, Colt survived on military contracts because they had the exclusive manufacturing rights for the M4 carbine, but that's no longer the case, and I believe FN now manufactures the M4 for the US military. I hope CZ can inject funds and revitalize the Colt product lineup. They could certainly update their lineup of AR-style rifles, that's for sure.