All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Willie Kool

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:46 pm

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 pm

It will shoot .45 rounds or .410 shotgun rounds. I want one. But it may not be what you had in mind. I believe it to be a legitimate home defense platform if you want a revolver, but others may disagree due to its bulkiness. Personally I wouldn't use a revolver for home defense but that's more preference than anything, I just like having 15+1 rather than 6.

The only revolvers I have are .44 cap and ball.

Jim

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:53 pm

I went to Anthony Arms to buy a .410 revolver and the guy behind the counter was dead set against them. ... so I didn't get one. I will just go at Aces and get one.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:54 pm

Always recommend Ace over Anthony arms. Sure the drive stinks but those guys are legit.

Willie Kool

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Personally I wouldn't use a revolver for home defense but that's more preference than anything, I just like having 15+1 rather than 6.
I mean, if you can't take care of it with 6...

get a speed loader

AuthorTony

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:01 pm

Personally I wouldn't use a revolver for home defense but that's more preference than anything, I just like having 15+1 rather than 6.
I just know myself and I'm too lazy/absent-minded to keep up with regular cleaning/maintenance.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:04 pm

I went to Anthony Arms to buy a .410 revolver and the guy behind the counter was dead set against them. ... so I didn't get one. I will just go at Aces and get one.
Did he elaborate on his reason? Just curious. .410 doesn't have a lot of knockdown power, he's right about that. I'd use a short 12ga for home defense if I wanted a shotgun round. But in the case of the Judge it can be loaded with .45 Colt which certainly does.

The Judge Public Defender is smaller framed and retails at $389.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:04 pm

I mean, if you can't take care of it with 6...

get a speed loader
bad hombres travel in packs, amirite?

Jim

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:21 pm

Did he elaborate on his reason? Just curious. .410 doesn't have a lot of knockdown power, he's right about that. I'd use a short 12ga for home defense if I wanted a shotgun round. But in the case of the Judge it can be loaded with .45 Colt which certainly does.

He was talking about if you want a shotgun get a shotgun, if you want a revolver get a revolver, I don't see the purpose of... etc. They had 3 different models so I was not going to get any quality discussion about which was better/worse/etc. I got the feeling that it was just a Ford/Chevy type thing. He simply didn't like them and wasn't going to talk about it. What'evs, I'm down the road.

Jim

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:23 pm

I also want a .357 level action to go with my... .357.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm getting that Desert Eagle .50 itch again. That affliction flairs up every few years. Here is a video of me firing a rental a couple of years ago:
Gunbroker prices are all over the place depending on what barrel you want and how gaudy the finish is. There is a shop in Mars that has one at an okay price. I haven't read up on them in years, I see they're 'made' in Minnesota now.
Magmum Research has been owned by Kahr for a few years now. They've introduced several new variants and a bunch of various finishes, many of which I would say fall into the "pimp gun" category. If you can live without owning the biggest and loudest, I'd recommend getting a DE in .44 Magnum over .50 AE. I don't recall whether you handload, but .50 ammo is fairly rare and really expensive. Relatively speaking, .44 Mag. can be bought much more cheaply and even in bulk.

A friend of mine has a DE in .44 Mag., and he bought that version because he already handloaded .44 Mag. for his revolvers. We nicknamed it "the Dragon" because when shooting around dusk my friend's handloads (using powder with no flash suppressant) produced muzzle fireballs that had to be nearly 10 feet long. Really fun gun to shoot.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 pm

All the 18 year olds scrambling to buy legal guns? :pop:
Among others.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm thinking of trading in my Ruger SR9E for a revolver. I almost never get to the range any more and I want a handgun I can load, shove in a drawer, and forget about unless I'd need it for an emergency situation. Any recommendations in the $300-$400 range? I know that's not much of a budget for a revolver, but I can't see spending much more than that.
There are some cheap revolvers in that price range from Armscor and the like, but I'd prefer something used from a well-known maker over a potentially dodgy gun from an off brand. For home-defense use, I'd personally use .38 Special loads over .357s, which I think generate too much muzzle blast and noise for enclosed spaces. So it wouldn't matter much whether the gun was a .38 or .357 because I'd be using .38s either way. I'd look for a used six-shot .38 or .357 revolver such as the S&W 10, 13, 19, 64, 65, 66, 67, or 687, or the Ruger GP100, Security Six, Service Six, or Speed Six.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm getting that Desert Eagle .50 itch again. That affliction flairs up every few years. Here is a video of me firing a rental a couple of years ago:
Gunbroker prices are all over the place depending on what barrel you want and how gaudy the finish is. There is a shop in Mars that has one at an okay price. I haven't read up on them in years, I see they're 'made' in Minnesota now.
Magmum Research has been owned by Kahr for a few years now. They've introduced several new variants and a bunch of various finishes, many of which I would say fall into the "pimp gun" category. If you can live without owning the biggest and loudest, I'd recommend getting a DE in .44 Magnum over .50 AE. I don't recall whether you handload, but .50 ammo is fairly rare and really expensive. Relatively speaking, .44 Mag. can be bought much more cheaply and even in bulk.

A friend of mine has a DE in .44 Mag., and he bought that version because he already handloaded .44 Mag. for his revolvers. We nicknamed it "the Dragon" because when shooting around dusk my friend's handloads (using powder with no flash suppressant) produced muzzle fireballs that had to be nearly 10 feet long. Really fun gun to shoot.
I just want one in nickle, nothing fancy. I really do enjoy guns for their engineering as you could glean from the collection I have (Tec-9, Derringer, .44 Army/Navy cap and ball, M9, etc). Lots of eclectic pieces without a lot of overlap in capability. The DE is an interesting piece of engineering that I wouldn't mind owning. I'd probably fire less than thirty rounds a year through it so ammo cost wouldn't be a huge concern. We try every year to go out to this farm my Dad's friend owns and just shoot all day, the DE would be enjoyed in that setting for sure. In .357 it recoils about as much as my M9, by the looks of this video I'm watching.

Encouraging that you have a positive impression of it given that it gets a bit of a bad rap for being a movie gun; and the bling finishes.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Encouraging that you have a positive impression of it given that it gets a bit of a bad rap for being a movie gun; and the bling finishes.
They're really well made, and the concept of a gas-operated handgun is just neato. The only other one I can think of offhand is the super-rare Wildey, and I'm not sure anyone makes those any more. And despite the fact that it's a common movie gun for its looks, it's actually a serious hunting pistol that would work perfectly on stuff like hogs or deer at moderate ranges. I think they're also used in steel-plate and bowling-pin shooting. It's certainly not just a novelty gun.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:13 pm

I also want a .357 level action to go with my... .357.
Have one, a Marlin 1894C in .357. Super fun to shoot. If you're ever looking at a new Marlin, be sure to look it over very closely. The Freedom Group (now called Remington Outdoor Company) bought Marlin back in 2007, fired the employees, and moved Marlin production to Remington's plants in NY and Kentucky. They had absolutely massive quality-control problems as a result of the move, and for years the guns were just horrible—crooked barrels, misaligned stocks, missing parts, you name it. I think they've gotten their act together, but I'd check over any new Marlin very closely before I took possession. Or Henry Repeating Arms also makes lever guns in .357, and I've never heard anything bad about Henry.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:21 pm

They're really well made, and the concept of a gas-operated handgun is just neato. The only other one I can think of offhand is the super-rare Wildey, and I'm not sure anyone makes those any more. And despite the fact that it's a common movie gun for its looks, it's actually a serious hunting pistol that would work perfectly on stuff like hogs or deer at moderate ranges. I think they're also used in steel-plate and bowling-pin shooting. It's certainly not just a novelty gun.
Yeah, that's the other reason I like it. The bolt is very similar to the one from my M16 from the service. I considered looking for a 10" barrel variant but they look fairly silly even if they're more accurate farther out.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:41 pm

He was talking about if you want a shotgun get a shotgun, if you want a revolver get a revolver, I don't see the purpose of... etc. They had 3 different models so I was not going to get any quality discussion about which was better/worse/etc. I got the feeling that it was just a Ford/Chevy type thing. He simply didn't like them and wasn't going to talk about it. What'evs, I'm down the road.
I have a public defender. It has birdshot in 3 holes and a 45 in the last two. You know, just in case. :lol:

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:10 pm

I have some friends who would absolutely pay extra for this.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Article on Pittsburgh's new and upcoming gun ranges:

Pittsburgh Gun Ranges Set Sights On Customer Experience To Attract New Business
http://wesa.fm/post/pittsburgh-gun-rang ... s#stream/0

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Just bought a gun that's been on my wish list for close to 20 years: the SIG Sauer P210. This is the new American-made P210-A version that SIG announced at the 2017 SHOT show, but they only started shipping them in late 2017. Compared to the original P210, it has a number of design changes, including a safety that's closer to a 1911-style, an extended slide release, and changes to the way the barrel locks to the slide. If you squint the P210 looks a lot like a 1911, and it is single action just like a 1911, but one notable difference is that the slide on the P210 rides CZ 75-style inside the frame rails instead of outside, which also makes it different from every other SIG pistol.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:52 pm

How bad is the kick on the DE?

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 pm

How bad is the kick on the DE?
I'm getting that Desert Eagle .50 itch again.

*Loud, and some NSFW language.

Not sure if that's a random question or you're responding to the post/discussion above so I'll quote it; but that's me firing a .50 DE and I'm 6'4" and over 250lbs there. The recoil is substantial.

I'm sure if you get it in .357 or .44 it would be more manageable.

Shyster, my cop friend in Chicago got to hold P210-A at SHOT this year and was really impressed with it; nice piece of gear you have there.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:13 am

Just saw the posts above but didn't see the video

That **** is crazy. I would lose an eye on the recoil