All Things Guns & Ammo

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 am

I can't speak to the .50 version, but the recoil on the .44 Magnum version isn't bad at all. Not only does the gas system help with the recoil, but those suckers are really heavy. A DE weighs something like a pound more than a six-inch S&W Model 29 .44 Mag revolver.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:21 am

Don't go limp wristed and you'll be fine. In the video my arm is locked and wrist is firm, so the gun goes up rather than back (mostly).

Watch this to see the alternative, particularly the slow motion at the end:

(Not my wife; my wife fired it just fine)

Elbows are loose and flexed, wrist is limp. She gets popped in the nose.

I'm not saying locked out arms are great for accuracy in the standing, but that's probably a secondary concern at a pistol range where the target is very likely only 7-25 meters out.

Shyster, I think the think about the .50DE is managing where the recoil will take the weapon rather than trying to stifle it completely. In my opinion, anyway. Trying to double fist it and start a wrestling match just seems like it would be a lot harder than just letting it come up some.

I still want one.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:10 am

Source of the post I'm sure if you get it in .357 or .44 it would be more manageable.
Don't be a wuss. :pop:

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:49 am

Is Steeltown Firearms and Supplies still in business?

Is there anywhere locally to buy 9mm tracer rounds?

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Anyone have any experience with CZ pistols?

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Yes. My uncle has a CZ-75 Compact that I like a lot.

Steeltown is still in business, but they don't have tracers.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm looking at full size exposed hammer models, SP-01 popped up. Is the slide-in-frame thing awkward in operation? That seems like the only potential negative, just don't know how much of a real world issue it is.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:11 pm

CZ makes good firearms. I have a CZ shotgun, and one of the guns at the top of my wish list is a CZ 527 mini-Mauser rifle in .22 Hornet. I don't have any experience with CZ's pistols, but I can say my SIG P210 has the slide mounted inside the frame in the CZ style, and I see no deleterious effects on the gun's operation. The P210 has a reputation for accuracy, and I think the slide mounting is supposed to contribute to that. CZ-75s have long been used as target and competition guns too, and they are supposed to be very durable and accurate. The basic design as also been copied by a bunch of other companies (e.g. Tanfoglio, Sarsilmaz, IWI, Sphinx).

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Swiss rifle range over a major highway:

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Rad.

I bought some .45 Long Colt to feed into my derringer tomorrow. So far I have only fired .410 shells from it. Might do so left handed so as to keep the use of my right if things go tits up. ;)

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm

I don't have any experience with CZ's pistols, but I can say my SIG P210 has the slide mounted inside the frame in the CZ style, and I see no deleterious effects on the gun's operation.
I was more curious about how that kind of system would affect my operation of the gun, if you follow. It just doesn't seem like there's much stuff to grab ahold of in the event of a failure. But I don't know how much of a practical consideration that is vs trying to find something to complain about.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Hit a gallon brown paint can just right with a 9mm round and it blew. Highlight of the day for me. Popped it about 8 times with no real reaction and then the back end of it blew out. Looked like a portajohn exploded. We had a board behind it holding clay pigeons and it got properly soaked. Hah.

Hit an LCD monitor with a .45LC round and it stopped it dead. Not a very strong round generally but I found that surprising.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm looking at full size exposed hammer models, SP-01 popped up. Is the slide-in-frame thing awkward in operation? That seems like the only potential negative, just don't know how much of a real world issue it is.
I have a SP-01 Tactical, P10C, SP01 Carry. The slide-inframe is not awkward. It's actually a fantastic shoot coupled with a CZ trigger.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:09 pm

I've basically fully converted to CZ from Sig. I'll probably never buy another Sig again, and am looking to buy a CZ Rami next.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 pm

I have a SP-01 Tactical...
Nice, that's exactly what I'm looking at. Thanks for that.

Can you recommend a light and holster? The holster would be for range use, and/or "things have gone terribly bad and I'm not worried about carry laws" types of temporary situations (THE BIG ONE! CALAMITY!). I live in San Mateo County, I'm not getting a CCW any time soon. Or ever, really.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Have you actually help the SP-01 tactical? Are you going to carry it? I'd look at the Phantom, it's lighter. You're looking at almost two pounds of carry as the Tactical is an all steel frame. It's more of my range toy, but man it shoots like an absolute dream.

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:04 pm

I like the Rami, wanted one myself for a while.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:29 am

I had my hands on one a few months ago and picked up a G43 instead. I really think the Rami will be next for me.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:26 am

Have you actually help the SP-01 tactical? Are you going to carry it? I'd look at the Phantom, it's lighter. You're looking at almost two pounds of carry as the Tactical is an all steel frame. It's more of my range toy, but man it shoots like an absolute dream.
We have this wonderful thing in my land called the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale", which is stupidity incarnate. The Phantom is not included on this roster, which means my options for legally acquiring a Phantom are limited. I can find a LEO private party who imported the gun to CA to transfer it to me (and multiple cops have been arrested and sent to prison for essentially running a side business buying off-roster handguns and transferring them to civilians at..... let's call it 'generous' markups over regular sticker price), or I can do what is called the 'single-shot exemption' (having a gunsmith convert the pistol to a single-shot thing, then bringing it into my CA FFL, waiting ten days, then having a local gunsmith restore its functionality; this is somehow legal, but simply buying the gun outright in this condition is prohibited..... no, I don't understand it either).

I'm not put off by the weight, in fact I actually like the heft of full-size steel frame pistols. The only carry will be at the range, or in a public-order-has-broken-down-and-we're-living-in-a-tent-next-to-the-house kind of SHTF scenario. (So not a super pressing need)

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:36 pm

In that case, then the Tactical is pretty much a dream to shoot. I highly recommend it for what you just described. Also the fact that the Tactical but not the Phantom is on the list is laughable. It's the same gun, different frame, slightly different trigger lol. I honestly can't get over how well the action of that pistol is.

As for lasers, I'd go to the reddit CZ section and ask - that group is highly educated on CZ. I don't run lasers, especially when you're hitting anything from 15-20 yards max away.

My favorite review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4gGGmvorY4

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:26 pm

I was more curious about how that kind of system would affect my operation of the gun, if you follow. It just doesn't seem like there's much stuff to grab ahold of in the event of a failure. But I don't know how much of a practical consideration that is vs trying to find something to complain about.

Oh, gotcha. For the full-size guns you're looking at, it shouldn't be a problem. There's still plenty of slide to grab.
Source of the post or I can do what is called the 'single-shot exemption' (having a gunsmith convert the pistol to a single-shot thing, then bringing it into my CA FFL, waiting ten days, then having a local gunsmith restore its functionality; this is somehow legal, but simply buying the gun outright in this condition is prohibited..... no, I don't understand it either).

I was under the impression that the California passed a new law to close that "loophole."

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:32 pm

We have this wonderful thing in my land called the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale", which is stupidity incarnate. The Phantom is not included on this roster, which means my options for legally acquiring a Phantom are limited. I can find a LEO private party who imported the gun to CA to transfer it to me (and multiple cops have been arrested and sent to prison for essentially running a side business buying off-roster handguns and transferring them to civilians at..... let's call it 'generous' markups over regular sticker price), or I can do what is called the 'single-shot exemption' (having a gunsmith convert the pistol to a single-shot thing, then bringing it into my CA FFL, waiting ten days, then having a local gunsmith restore its functionality; this is somehow legal, but simply buying the gun outright in this condition is prohibited..... no, I don't understand it either).

I'm not put off by the weight, in fact I actually like the heft of full-size steel frame pistols. The only carry will be at the range, or in a public-order-has-broken-down-and-we're-living-in-a-tent-next-to-the-house kind of SHTF scenario. (So not a super pressing need)
You could move too, which solves many other problems. :pop: :lol:

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 pm

You could move too, which solves many other problems. :pop: :lol:
What mac said. :thumb:

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:53 pm

I was under the impression that the California passed a new law to close that "loophole."
I though the restriction was for guns that had never been on-roster, but if it had fallen off for whatever reason you could still do it. I'm not really interested in that route, so my understanding could be askew. Buying off-roster via whatever method is really just a super way of paying $900 for a $400 pistol.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Midwayusa.com is currently offering Winchester USA 9mm ammo for $190 for a thousand rounds. That strikes me as a pretty good deal. I couldn't reload for much less, and Winchester pistol brass is good stuff.