All Things Guns & Ammo

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am

Speaking of, I have to take a damn day off (already planned, but have to make the trip) to go downtown to get mine renewed. Hate their hours.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu May 16, 2019 1:29 am

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 pm

Today the Pennsylvania Supreme Court handed down the opinion in Commonwealth v. Hicks, which addressed the question of whether the mere open or concealed carrying of a firearm constitutes reasonable suspicion of a crime such that police would be able to perform a Terry stop and "stop and frisk" the person in question. The Court unanimously ruled that the mere open or concealed carrying of a firearm—without more—does not constitute reasonable suspicion because open carry is legal and concealed carry is legal with a permit. The majorioty opinion was written by Justice Wecht and joined by Chief Justice Saylor and Justices Todd and Donohue. Justice Baer filed a concurring opinion and Justice Dougherty filed an opinion concurring in the judgment on different grounds, which Justice Mundy joined. This decision overruled nearly 20 years of Superior Court cases holding that the police could Terry Stop people based solely on the possession of a concealed handgun.

Looking at some tea leaves, this decision doesn't bode well for the City of Pittsburgh's efforts to litigate its way around the state preemption statutes. One of the City's arguments is that because guns are so uniquely dangerous, it should be able to regulate them in spite of the state prohibition. If our Supreme Court judges were inclined to create special rules just because guns are dangerous, I don't think Hicks would have come out the way it did.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:44 pm

That is like stopping and showing your receipt leaving Best Buy.

**** you, no.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 pm

My grandma is giving me this revolver that belonged to my great-great grandfather. It is 38 caliber Smith and Wesson manufactured in 1888. @Shyster do you have any background on it? Only notation I could find is "CTG" which google tells me means it was a law enforcement firearm. Also could you tell me how to break it down?

dodint

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 pm

It's a top break, will pivot on the bolt forward of the cylinder. Should just be able to pull upward on the black checkboard "nubs" at the top and the barrel will pitch down. I have something similar my FIL gave us before he passed.

This gentleman demonstrates it:

Very cool looking revolver, I have never taken notice of the hammerless design before.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 pm

Are you sure "CTG" isn't just short for "cartridge"? I have an old S&W that has the caliber marked on the barrel as something like "CAL .38 S&W CTG." It looks like that gun was originally nickel plated, but the barrel is a little rough, so the remainder of the caliber markings might just have worn or flaked off.

It's a Smith & Wesson Safety Hammerless, also called the New Departure. It's also nicknamed the "Lemon Squeezer" because the grip safety (the lever sticking out of the back of the grip) supposedly reminded people of a lemon juicer. That grip safety has to be pushed down for the gun to fire. It's double-action-only with an internal hammer. They were chambered in either .32 S&W (now called .32 S&W Short) or .38 S&W, which is not the same cartridge as .38 Special. They were made from the 1880s or so up until WWII. It's what is called a "top break" gun. To open the action, grab and lift up on the two knurled circles that are on the top of the gun above and to the rear of the cylinder. That should lift up the latch and allow the entire front of the gun to rock forward on the hinge that is in front of the cylinder. As the barrel tips forward, the ejector star should extend out of the middle of the cylinder, which would simultaneously eject all the empty cases from the gun. I'm afraid I don't know anything about further disassembly.

They were very popular "pocket guns" back in the day, and S&W would bring back the concept of the "hammerless" revolver in 1952 with the introduction of the snubnose "Centennial" models. The finish looks a little rough, but the mother-of-pearl grips look to be in good shape.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:16 am

From my copy of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, I'm going to say that's a .38 Safety Hammerless 4th Model. It has the knurled side-knobs cylinder latch, which means either 4th or 5 model, and the pin holding the front sight in place narrows it down further to the 4th model. The serial number should be in the range of roughly 116003 to 220000. Look for the number on the butt or cylinder. Manufactured 1898 to 1907. The mother-of-pearl grips may not be original. Pearl grips with gold medallions were offered on the 1st model, but by the 4th model the grips were black hard rubber. They could have been swapped from another gun or purchased separately. Value for a 4th model in fair condition isn't going to be too high, maybe $200 or so. S&W made a lot of those guns, and they were among the most popular "concealed carry" guns of the day. But it's a great piece of family history. :thumb:

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Finally got my Firearms Safety Certificate today, and put a down payment on a gen3 Glock 19. Wooooo. I can pick it up the day the new ammo law goes into effect, so I think I might stock up ahead of time.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:08 pm

The California DOJ apparently just filed "emergency" regulations to require a "Real ID" for ammo purchases, so if you don't have one you would need a passport to buy ammo.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 30998.html

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 pm

The same situation will apply to air travel starting in 2020. Real ID or passport to get on a plane. (But no background check for the flying thing)

Weird thing was I had a Real ID, but I also had to show an additional proof of residence (they'll accept valid car registration). You have to prove citizenship and residence to get a Real ID, so I'm not sure if the extra step was deliberate ****, or just reflective of the applicable statute being older than Real ID.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 pm

I assume the purpose of the real-ID requirements is to harass, suppress, and generally further s**t upon California's population of gun owners.

I just ran a search and the new ammo laws don't apply to ammunition components, which makes them even more f***ing :face: useless. I guess it never occurred to any of the idiots in the California legislature that people can make ammunition themselves. You could just avoid all of the bullcrap, pick up a press kit, and roll your own.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Legislators making laws regulating things they know nothing about? Shocking

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Decided to upgrade my "hot weather" carry gun from a Kel-Tec P32 in .32 ACP to a Kahr P380 in .380 ACP. This makes for my third Kahr; I've been fond of their products for quite a while.

I'm thinking of picking up a Crimson Trace Laserguard laser sight to go with the new gun. With the small size and short sight radius, I think it might really help with aiming.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 pm

I just ran a search and the new ammo laws don't apply to ammunition components, which makes them even more f***ing :face: useless.
Oh, don't you worry. There's legislation making its way through the halls of Sac'to that would apply the background check rules to all what they refer to as firearms and ammunition 'precursor parts' (i.e. all the bits that go into making a complete example of each/either). Law is set to go into effect in 2023 if (well, when, really) signed by Gov Wooderson.

And it will require all sales of such components (including private party sales) go through a 'precursor parts vendor', sort of like an FFL but at the California level. All FFLs are automatically classified as PPVs under the legislation, but private parties can sign up for recognition as such.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:02 am

Going on a trip this weekend, convinced myself to buy a Maverick 88 for Shts and giggles.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Anyone here do any air gunning? I haven't been able to get to the range nearly as often as I would like, so I just ordered an Air Venturi single-stroke pneumatic target pistol from Pyramyd Air. That and a pellet trap, and I'll be able to pop down into my basement for some paper punching any time I have a spare moment.

https://www.airventuri.com/av/featured- ... ir-pistol/

Willie Kool

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:21 pm

I have a break barrel .177 rifle for yard varmints...

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:38 pm

The township where I live has a no-discharge ordinance that theoretically applies even to such things as slingshots and bows and arrows. Nonetheless, if a squirrel that is hanging on a bird feeder happens to be suddenly stuck dead in an inexplicable act of God, and no one is around to observe such inexplicable act of God, then as a matter of philosophy did that even really happen?

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Without wanting to make this thread political, I am finding myself in a weird spot re guns. The amped up rhetoric following El Paso and Dayton, coupled with the chaos amid the leadership of the NRA, makes this feel like an inflection point in the gun control debate. Yesterday, I actually went to a local shop and started the convo about buying an AR. I've never felt motivated to act by politicians talking they way they are now, and it's an odd feeling. My view of guns and the Second Amendment have not changed, but... I don't know how to describe it. For the first time, I have a legit "while I still can" sense.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:24 pm

I think we're closer than ever to updated legislation, but they're gonna do the whole red flag and sue thing I would imagine.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Without wanting to make this thread political, I am finding myself in a weird spot re guns. The amped up rhetoric following El Paso and Dayton, coupled with the chaos amid the leadership of the NRA, makes this feel like an inflection point in the gun control debate. Yesterday, I actually went to a local shop and started the convo about buying an AR. I've never felt motivated to act by politicians talking they way they are now, and it's an odd feeling. My view of guns and the Second Amendment have not changed, but... I don't know how to describe it. For the first time, I have a legit "while I still can" sense.
I am glad to hear you went the way you did, as I thought for sure you were going the other way :lol:

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:55 pm

The "California legal" ARs, IMO, are just awful looking. If you want a semi-auto, I think I'd just buy a Mini-14, which I think are still legal because never really had the "evil" features to begin with.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:41 pm

This is the one I'm ordering once the job situation is sorted (which will hopefully be in a couple weeks)

You don't have to get a 'featureless' build. :wink:

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:47 pm

It's a locked mag that can't be removed if the gun can go into battery. So there's a company called Juggernaut that makes a little device called a Hellfighter that you replace the rear takedown pin with; hit that pin, the upper separates from the lower by about 1/8", and then you can drop the mag, replace, close action, charge, pew.

Only adds all of around .5s to a change, but it does complicate clearing double feeds.