All Things Guns & Ammo

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:16 pm

The 22mag is better for shooting small animals that you plan on eating, as it leaves less destruction... The 17HMR is a superior round just about in every other category in my opinion. Muzzle velocity, accuracy, distance... Either way you won't be upset, but I would go 17HMR if I were you.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for the input mac. Your opinion is appreciated. I'm going to follow your advice and go with the .17 HMR. Since I'm probably going to use this rifle to just shoot paper, it makes sense to buy the more inherently accurate cartridge. :thumb:

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Kahr just released some nice-looking "Patriot Brown" Cerakote models, which @tifosi77 won't be able to buy in California either.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Don't know if that specific one will ever come here, but the CW9 is available in three finishes as of the 2017 List Of Good Guns.

Kahr Announces 3 New California Legal CW9 Models

Looks like the 'burnt bronze' finish costs $479

https://www.turners.com/kahr-arms/kahr- ... nze-469825

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Interesting. I was under the impression that a change in finish was sufficient to require recertification, which of course is now impossible due to the microstamping requirement.

Had a great day at the range on Saturday. The weather actually cooperated for once. I was able to chrono all of the .38 Special and .32 H&R ammo I'd loaded. The two .32 loads I started with were both way low—under 600 fps—so I need to up the powder in the next batch of .32s. I'm still liking those French-made NobelSport Vectan powders. In .38 Special I'm getting significantly lower velocity spreads and standard deviations with Vectan Ba10 than I am with the other powders I'm trying (Hodgdon Universal and HP-38). In addition to the two revolvers, I also took out my Volquartsen Scorpion. The problem I had with intermittent failures to fire has now disappeared, so it might have just needed a cleaning and re-lube. That gun shoots way better than I can; I was chewing the black out of the targets all day long. I ordered a box each of four different brands of "match grade" .22 ammo, so one of these times I'm going to take out a pistol rest and see what kind of groups the Scorpion can do when fed the expensive stuff.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Did you end up getting the 17HMR?

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Interesting. I was under the impression that a change in finish was sufficient to require recertification, which of course is now impossible due to the microstamping requirement.
How old of a design is the CW9? My understanding is if a pistol was available for purchase (don't know if that's 'available for purchase in CA', or just generally on the market) before the dumb microstamping thing went into effect, it is exempt from that requirement. LEO is also exempt. The manufacturer need only submit the gun and its variants for 'safety testing'. That's why we can buy USPs and Glocks and stuff, but not something like an XDm, an M&P 2.0 or a P320.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Did you end up getting the 17HMR?
Not yet. I'm suffering some option paralysis. I noticed that Bud's has CZ Sporter Standard Grade G2 target shotguns on clearance for roughly $1,200, which is about $400 less than what those guns were going for last time I checked. So now I can't decide what to buy next. A target-grade shotgun is on the wish list too.

I'm blessed that I've managed to get to the point where I'm debt-free for everything except my mortgage and don't really have much in the way of other stuff to spend my money on, so I get to deal with tough questions like "What gun do I buy next?"
Last edited by Shyster on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 pm

How old of a design is the CW9? My understanding is if a pistol was available for purchase (don't know if that's 'available for purchase in CA', or just generally on the market) before the dumb microstamping thing went into effect, it is exempt from that requirement. LEO is also exempt. The manufacturer need only submit the gun and its variants for 'safety testing'. That's why we can buy USPs and Glocks and stuff, but not something like an XDm, an M&P 2.0 or a P320.
Not sure when the CW series was introduced, but it has been a while. I know they were around in 2010, but I'm not sure how much longer before that. Old enough that a new finish is not a barrier to sale, obviously.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Looked at a Mossberg Patriot in .308 today at Bass Pro Shop. Really liked it, definitely going on my wishlist.

Great review here: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... iot-rifle/

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Decided to pull the trigger on the CZ Sporter Standard Grade G2 on clearance from Bud's. It was on clearance because CZ replaced that model for 2017 with the new CZ All-American model. The Sporter is designed for competition and comes with an adjustable comb on the stock and a set of extended Kicks choke tubes that are intended to simplify choke selection by basically giving you a pair each of "short," "medium," and "long" chokes. I've never been much of a shotgunner, but this looks like a really nice gun at a discounted price, and I couldn't pass it up. I have a colleague who shoots a lot of sporting clays and holds a membership for the Shooting Academy down at Nemacolin, and I think I'll see if I can talk him into bringing me along. I have no doubt he'd be kicking my butt all day long, since I'm still a total noob when it comes to the shotgun sports, but now at least I'll have a suitable firearm.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 pm

http://trib.al/NilCU8d

Sort of torn about this story. I love Jamey and his music. And I applaud him for taking a stand for his beliefs, but I am subject to the same thing that he and his crew is when I walk through the door to his concert.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 am

Old people love to type in CAPS to get a point across.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 pm

A significant RKBA court case came down today from the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. The court issued an opinion covering a pair of companion cases: Wrenn v. District of Columbia and Matthew Grace and Pink Pistols v. District of Columbia. In both cases the plaintiffs challenged the requirement of the District of Columbia that an applicant for a concealed-carry permit demonstrate a “special need for self-protection distinguishable from the general community as supported by evidence of specific threats or previous attacks that demonstrate a special danger to the applicant’s life.” The court held that the RKBA found in the Second Amendment includes the right to carry outside of the home, and the District's requirement of a "special need for self-protection" violates that right. This case now adds the DC circuit to the circuit split over the scope of the Second Amendment outside the home. The Second, Third, Fourth, and Ninth circuits have upheld restrictions on carry outside the home, while the Seventh and now the DC circuits have struck down bans on carry.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm

People who choose to not carry (which, let's face it, is a far larger swath of the population) have made the decision that they are willing to accept whatever risk the average person can expect to encounter in a day without a gun at their side. And that works fine and dandy for the vast majority of people. But if you do not want to accept that same risk unarmed, you should not have to demonstrate that your threat level is higher. It's not the threat level that's higher, it's individual risk tolerance that's lower. And that should be evidenced by the CCW application.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Well said.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 am

Any word on the supression bill? Did that ever make it to vote?

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:37 pm

The Hearing Protection Act is still pending and hasn't been voted upon. The provisions of the HPA were also incorporated into a draft bill called the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement (SHARE) Act, which includes a bunch of other pro-hunting and pro-sportsman provisions. The bill was scheduled for a hearing before the House Committee on Natural Resources on June 14th, which was the same day that nutcase opened fire at the congressional baseball practice. The House then canceled all hearings for that day, including the SHARE Act hearing, and to date it hasn't been rescheduled.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:41 pm

The new CZ Sporter Standard Grade came in, and I picket it up today from local FFL Grant Montgomery. He didn't want to believe me when I said this model has a lower grade of wood, because the stock on this gun looks great. I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Morkle

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Morkle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:16 am

The Hearing Protection Act is still pending and hasn't been voted upon. The provisions of the HPA were also incorporated into a draft bill called the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement (SHARE) Act, which includes a bunch of other pro-hunting and pro-sportsman provisions. The bill was scheduled for a hearing before the House Committee on Natural Resources on June 14th, which was the same day that nutcase opened fire at the congressional baseball practice. The House then canceled all hearings for that day, including the SHARE Act hearing, and to date it hasn't been rescheduled.
Thanks for the update. Conspiracy me is all sorts of triggered.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 am

Is the ammo market level-setting or is the military truly going away from the 5.56 round?

Ammo depot has, after MIR, XM855 rounds for about 28 cents per and XM193 rounds for about 25 cents per (assuming you buy 500/1000 of each). Free shipping, also.

Shyster

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:27 pm

I would say the ammo market is finally stabilizing both in price and availability. Even .22 ammo is pretty widely available now, and most sellers have dropped their purchase limits.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:28 pm

So I should stock up (more)? I'll tell the wife.

tifosi77

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Mac, do you have All State insurance? You can use your Safe Driving Bonus to stock up, like that dude with the family that always wears their ear buds in the car used his to buy the brand new putter his wife doesn't even know about.

mac5155

All Things Guns & Ammo

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Heh. Nope, I use Erie. And the wife gets all the savings, somehow...