Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:39 pm

Or wait. Were you asking what I paid for the truck? :lol:

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:42 pm

By the way my family is the original owner.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:07 pm

Well I finally did it. I bought a new (to me) vehicle. 2018 ram 2500 cummins. Bit of an upgrade but I don't think I'm going back to work physically for a while and my brother bought a camper last year, so now I can tow it around for him (and use it :pop: )
Is it the RAM that you posted in the outdoors thread?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:51 pm

Nah. Buddy of mine had his Mazda3 die, I think it's a 2011, and Mazda quoted him $10k to replace the motor with a new one from Japan.. He is in the middle of a refi of his townhouse and doesn't want to open a new line of credit right now, so he is just renting a car each time he needs to go somewhere. He's WFH so it's working okay.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:22 am

That's a lot of CELs. Nothing a $3 roll of duck tape wouldn't solve, though...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:48 am

Damn mac, that purchase is me in 5 years. I have a 2003 Camry with only 120k miles on it, hoping to go another 5 years before looking at trucks/campers. Problem is my wife's car/family transporter will also require replacement around that time. Going to be very poor in 5 years.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:30 am

Nah. Buddy of mine had his Mazda3 die, I think it's a 2011, and Mazda quoted him $10k to replace the motor with a new one from Japan.. He is in the middle of a refi of his townhouse and doesn't want to open a new line of credit right now, so he is just renting a car each time he needs to go somewhere. He's WFH so it's working okay.
Once I get it cleaned up I will post it. Like I said it's certainly on its last leg but if you only drive locally it'll be reliable.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 am

Well I finally did it. I bought a new (to me) vehicle. 2018 ram 2500 cummins. Bit of an upgrade but I don't think I'm going back to work physically for a while and my brother bought a camper last year, so now I can tow it around for him (and use it :pop: )
Is it the RAM that you posted in the outdoors thread?
With the pheasant picture? No, that's my buddy's 19 Rebel. Also a pretty nice truck.

I go to pick this one up today. Finally got the check from PSECU after a week of waiting.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 am

Damn mac, that purchase is me in 5 years. I have a 2003 Camry with only 120k miles on it, hoping to go another 5 years before looking at trucks/campers. Problem is my wife's car/family transporter will also require replacement around that time. Going to be very poor in 5 years.
Wife's car is paid off in February, and then my tractor is paid off in 2022.. so I just need her ride to make it to 2022 and then I would feel comfortable taking on a second car payment. For the last 3 years, the Kubota has been my "car" payment :lol:

I have wanted a truck since I sold my last one in 2014. The prospect of longer-term working from home allowed me to do this. Now I hope I never have to go back :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:55 am

I go to pick this one up today. Finally got the check from PSECU after a week of waiting.
My Dad tried to buy an RV this summer. PSECU slow rolled the check, took like 10 days. It came on a Friday, that Saturday morning my step-mom got cold feet and nixed the sale. Dodged a bullet. :lol:

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:57 am

My Dad tried to buy an RV this summer. PSECU slow rolled the check, took like 10 days. It came on a Friday, that Saturday morning my step-mom got cold feet and nixed the sale. Dodged a bullet. :lol:
I got the autodraft like the day after I applied, but this was a small-time dealer purchase so I had to get it to a cashier's check. Finally yesterday I called and they said a manager forgot to check something (??) and I was like, well then you can overnight me the check, right? The dealer probably thought I couldn't get it or something. almost 10 days from start to finish.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 pm

Bought a Tesla Model Y a few months ago (the fast version). AMA, if interested.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:38 pm

How shiny is it at this very moment?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 pm

Hah.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:04 pm

- What is your home charging setup? How much did it cost to install?
- What is your impression of build quality and interior noise?
- What kinds of real-world range are you seeing?
- What would you say you like the most about it?
- What would be your biggest gripe?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:15 pm

How shiny is it at this very moment?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:28 pm

- What is your home charging setup? How much did it cost to install?

40 amp outlet in the garage. 10 hours or so for a full charge. Had it done at 2 houses (we moved unexpectedly). $700 when they just had to poke through a wall. $1100 when they had do run line.

- What is your impression of build quality and interior noise?

Noise reduction is really good except when it’s bumpy. And I have the 20 inch tires (got a stealth performance) so it gets bumpy a lot. The build quality is almost perfect. A few millimeters off on a panel or 2.

- What kinds of real-world range are you seeing?

In warm weather on the highway going about 65 with no variance you get the advertised mileage. 310 for me. Real life probably low 2’s because I blast off all the time.

- What would you say you like the most about it?

The fun. 0-60. 60-80. Even zipping around a neighborhood at 25 feels like a game. The technology is a big part of that. I never liked driving, now I look for reasons to go places.

- What would be your biggest gripe?

A trip to Florida would be tedious with the amount of charging. It is kind of a pain how long it takes. But the car overall is better than I hoped.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Many thanks. I'm not planning on replacing my current car soon, but as someone who likes hatchbacks with manual transmissions, the number of cars I would be interested in buying in getting minuscule. If I can't get a regular car that I really want, I'm strongly thinking of going electric. I'd probably go Model Y over Model 3 because of the greater cargo capacity and versatility, and anyway once you spec a 3 with AWD and a longer-range battery, it's right up there in price where the Model Y is anyway.

offsides

Postby offsides » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:38 pm

In this old guys opinion electrics will definitely take over. They are already very powerful cars with low maintenance and will get better. The battery technology will get better and better. They will get cheaper with longer ranges, longer life and shorter charge times. Also many many more charging places will appear. The youngins will have a good time making fun of the idiots that drove internal combustion cars with manual transmissions (like me).
Of course once self driving electrics become common, not even sure if they will go over the speed limit. Come to think about it, if I get old enough it might be real nice to get in a self driver and say "take me to the doctors". Everything else is going to voice stuff.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:01 am

I’d swap “electric cars” with “Tesla” specifically. I’m not sure how any other automakers compete at the 30k-100k price range. There’s differentiation at the high end with Porsche and Jaguar but and at the low end you have affordable but boring options like a Chevy Volt. But in the middle there is nobody even on the horizon primed to compete with Tesla. And that’s not even mentioning the proprietary super chargers, which are essential for road trips.

Eventually, I could see Tesla selling a cab-less electric power train to other manufacturers and leasing out their self driving software, while Ford, GM, etc keep their branding. I’m not sure there’s any other way from preventing a virtual monopoly in 10 years.

...and in that time, I think the F150 Is going to become a virtue signal for climate change deniers but I’ll take that to the PDT

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:05 am

Many thanks. I'm not planning on replacing my current car soon, but as someone who likes hatchbacks with manual transmissions, the number of cars I would be interested in buying in getting minuscule. If I can't get a regular car that I really want, I'm strongly thinking of going electric. I'd probably go Model Y over Model 3 because of the greater cargo capacity and versatility, and anyway once you spec a 3 with AWD and a longer-range battery, it's right up there in price where the Model Y is anyway.
I know some people that love the ride of the Y but won’t give up the “vroom” of their ICE’s. I think you’d find the fun of a manual transmission replaced by the fun of being the fastest car on the road at all times. The torque is impossible to overrate. And you feel it at every speed.

And I think the Y is the sweet spot. It’s almost as functional as my old MDX was as an SUV. You just lose a little bit of depth in the back trunk. But you get the frunk and the under trunk that make up for it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:06 am

F150's get pretty good gas mileage in comparison to trucks in the past. The 2020 gets 25-30 mph and the 2021 will have a hybrid option. They come standard with EcoBoost technology.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:12 am

The Mini electric is the only EV being sold in the US that’s starts at $30k - everything else is $34k and above, with most being closer to $40k and over. The first manufacturer to offer a vehicle under $30k is going to do really well.

And hopefully we get some better designs, because aesthetically, only a few actually appeal to me, personally.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:46 am

I have been looking at EVs lately, thinking as an upgrade to the MINI. My biggest barrier here is range. If I can't get to the NC coast without undue delay it's not an option. Every time I pass through Breezewood there is a herd of Tesla just sitting around waiting.

Appealing with performance, though? Nah. The numbers are undeniable, sure. But trading in my 507hp V10 6-speed manual that revs to 8,200 for an electric motor? I can't do it.

People are time trialing EVs more and more. Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze given the charging requirements but it is interesting to watch their operation.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:51 am

That goes to the article I posted earlier about battery technology. It must evolve quicker in order to gain better acceptance. That alone is a dealbreaker for a lot of folks.