Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:14 pm

But right now I want to manually drive and shift gears, lean into sharp corners and chirp the tires once in a while.
That's what my miata is for. Originally it was supposed to be the car that I was gonna take to work since it had a few dents/dings and faded paint when I bought it.

For everything that the new Subaru has, the Miata is the exact opposite. Power windows (barely), power steering and brakes, and not much else. But for as basic as this car is, it is still fun to drive on the back roads.
How I feel about my jeep. No A/C, no power, and manual. My truck and my old Honda had all the safety, airplay features, but there's nothing better than backroads or driving in the woods with my jeep, personally.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:57 pm

But right now I want to manually drive and shift gears, lean into sharp corners and chirp the tires once in a while.
That's what my miata is for. Originally it was supposed to be the car that I was gonna take to work since it had a few dents/dings and faded paint when I bought it.

For everything that the new Subaru has, the Miata is the exact opposite. Power windows (barely), power steering and brakes, and not much else. But for as basic as this car is, it is still fun to drive on the back roads.
How I feel about my jeep. No A/C, no power, and manual. My truck and my old Honda had all the safety, airplay features, but there's nothing better than backroads or driving in the woods with my jeep, personally.
No power steering? We had a late 60's Dodge Coronet when I was kid w/o power steering and I remember my mother struggling with it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:25 pm

The only car I ever owned without power steering was the Delorean, and that really only worked because it was rear engined.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:51 pm

All it took was one accident for me where I’d likely have gone through the windshield had I not been wearing a seatbelt to reinforce the fact that I will never drive without wearing one. Still wound up with titanium rods in my arm for months after that one.
That's the thing about it: I know I'm guilty of riding without one at times, I tell myself to get in the habit of throwing it on, yet if I'm going down the road, I still have that attitude of "it's only down the road, across the way, etc." Not saying it's right, but it's something I know I need to be better about. As Mike Tomlin would say, "the arrow is pointing up."

If I were to put it on a scale from 1 to 100 with 100 being that I always wear it and 1 being never, I'm probably like a 95. That is a lot better than where it used to be.
I couldn't drive without a seat belt even if I tried. I feel extremely exposed/at risk without one on in the car. Even if I'm sitting in a parking lot waitng for my wife.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Be honest, shaf, you probably wear a seatbelt on the porcelain throne.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:15 pm

No power steering? We had a late 60's Dodge Coronet when I was kid w/o power steering and I remember my mother struggling with it.
haha no, my wrangler is a 2012, I just bought it bone stock because I was going to upgrade it in the future. Which I have.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Assisted cruise might be my new favorite thing. I had mine set for 1.5 lengths when I drove back home this weekend and I didn't have to touch my gas or brake for almost half an hour on 22. Of course I kept my foot ready just in case, but the adaptive cruise makes driving almost a little too comfortable.
Self driving (electric) cars are on the way. Most people want to play with their phone, not drive. They will also be much safer than some drivers I see now. Being my age bracket I may appreciate them some day soon to get me places. But right now I want to manually drive and shift gears, lean into sharp corners and chirp the tires once in a while. Future generations will laugh at us for actually driving a gasoline powered car.
The worst part about ACC is when someone's rolling like 65 down the pike in the fast lane and you don't realize his speed for a few miles.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:21 pm

Assisted cruise might be my new favorite thing. I had mine set for 1.5 lengths when I drove back home this weekend and I didn't have to touch my gas or brake for almost half an hour on 22. Of course I kept my foot ready just in case, but the adaptive cruise makes driving almost a little too comfortable.
Self driving (electric) cars are on the way. Most people want to play with their phone, not drive. They will also be much safer than some drivers I see now. Being my age bracket I may appreciate them some day soon to get me places. But right now I want to manually drive and shift gears, lean into sharp corners and chirp the tires once in a while. Future generations will laugh at us for actually driving a gasoline powered car.
The worst part about ACC is when someone's rolling like 65 down the pike in the fast lane and you don't realize his speed for a few miles.
In my Honda, I’d hate how it’s randomly brake hard or just go haywire if sunGlared into the sensor.

I like ACC but am living without it again and am totally fine.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:37 pm

It did come in handy when we were going to a funeral. Down the turnpike. At 55 mph.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 am

This headline, :lol:
Harbor Freight recalls the jack stands meant to replace the recalled jack stands

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 am

The Pilot we bought is the first new Honda I've purchased - from three different dealerships - since 2003 that didn't come with wheel locks.

"Oh, we never add extra equipment to our cars" said the salesman. Sure.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:04 am

Like locking lug nuts you mean?

I bet the number of insurance claims for roadside assistance of people who lost their key >>>>>>>>> the number of claims of people who had wheels stolen.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:17 am

Bingo.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:45 am

Locking lug nuts is like top 5 stupidest invention ever

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:48 am

That seems a bit exaggerated.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:51 am

I've never had them. What's the down side other than losing the key?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:00 am

Fine. Top 7

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 am

I've never had them. What's the down side other than losing the key?
Losing the key, difficult to get a replacement, and unsightly (to each their own) are the biggest drawbacks. My car came with them, so I have no issues using them.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:48 am

No Karen, nobody wants your stock Pilot wheels.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Fine. Top 7
Try having your fifth wheel stolen when it's hanging off the back of your vehicle. It's basically a necessity if buy nicer off-roading wheels. That's about the only purpose I see it serving.

Having them on a pilot as stock? lmao, no way.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:53 pm

Out of curiosity, I googled the 2020 Pilot. The stockers aren’t too shabby on the higher end models.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:39 pm

Anyone ever had wheels or a car stolen?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:45 pm

I know of someone who had their fifth wheel stolen on their wrangler, which caused me to get locking lugs.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:48 pm

I know of someone who had their fifth wheel stolen on their wrangler, which caused me to get locking lugs.
I can see that happening. One of my older brothers had his brand new GTI stolen in Manhattan in the mid 90's.