Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:28 pm

I do my research on TireRack and then go down to J&T's and they generally beat the price once shipping is factored in.
Don’t pay for shipping - which is TireRack’s downfall. The sites I mentioned have free shipping.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:42 pm

I have a similar issue to iamjs, and I'd appreciate some "what would you do" input. While on a business trip to Lewisburg in central Pennsylvania a couple weeks ago, I discovered a bulge on the sidewall of my left-rear tire. My car is FWD, so that's not a drive wheel. I was able to find a tire of the same size at a local tire shop, but not the same brand or model. So I now have three Nexen Classe Premier tires and one Hankook Ventus S1. I don't like the Nexen tires (they're the OEM tires for the car), and I don't want three more of the Hankook tires, so I definitely plan on replacing all four. I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and replace all four right now, or whether I can run the mismatched tires the rest of the summer/fall and get them replaced at the same time I swap on my snow tires. That way I figure I'd get a little more of my money out of the $185 or so I spent on that Hankook.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Same deal - you can replace the two tears and run mismatched for the time being. The only downside there is that you’ll likely wind up replacing all of the tires [due to wear] at different intervals. I generally like to do all four at once.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 pm

I plan on replacing all four. I'm just wondering if one mismatched tire is considered such a hazard that I need to do that immediately, or whether I can run the tires the rest of the summer before dumping all of them. For example, a Google search produces warnings against running a mismatched tire, and they usually cite one of two things: uneven wear and bad handling. I don't care about the first because I'm going to be replacing all four tires anyway. As to the second, I've been driving on this mismatched set for a couple weeks, and I haven't noticed any handling problems, even in the rain, and I would never drive in snow on these tires because I run separate snow tires. Also, the mismatched tires are on the back of a FWD car, so there's no way I could be harming a differential or anything like that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 pm

You are fine. As you said, wear is the primary issue, and noise.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:58 pm

Yes, I don't care about uneven wear. I figure I'll probably drive at least a thousand miles or so by the end of fall, and I'm just trying to be cheap and put those miles on the old mismatched tires before I toss them. Although I might keep that single new Hankook as a spare tire I could have put on in an emergency. The OEM Nexen tires are poop, and I was going to get rid of them soon anyway. They're designed to look like low-profile performance tires, but the grip is lousy.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:51 pm

I generally replace my FWD car tires in pairs. New ones on the front, move old ones to the back. Vice-versa in the summer.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:53 pm

My 2007 pontiac vibe is good for another year. Passed inspection with zero issues, other than a heads up that the headlights are getting foggy and probably won't pass next year. Love having no payments on a car, and not having to dump a ton of money into maintenance. And now that I say that, it'll break down tomorrow, for sure.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:36 am

My Dad drove his Vibe for years and loved it. Sold it to a coworker and it still runs problem free.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 am

"The [lambo] couple says the crash happened after they were hit by another car in the West Loop. The driver said instead of hitting the brake, he hit the acceleration and that is when they ended up underneath another car."

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:27 am

I saw another version of the story where the driver said he was trying to avoid a left-turning car and mashed the throttle by mistake.

Occam's Razor here suggests it is more likely that a Huracan is more car than dude guy is a driver, and stuff like this is gonna happen when trying to impress.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:38 am

Moral of the story, Lambos suck and Ferraris are better

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Moral of the story, Lambos suck and Ferraris are better
This guy gets it. :thumb:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm

had I held onto my car for another week, the bimmer dealership that I go to for maintenance was gonna buy my car. Not sure if they would have topped the offer that I got for mine as a trade-in, but I'm kinda curious what they would have offered.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 am

https://www.boardmansubaru.com/used/BMW ... e6be34.htm

so they posted my old car and I'm really surprised at the listed price. Not a lot of room to make money. Maybe they're looking to make a quick sell on it. Don't know.

Also kinda surprised that they posted pics of the interior with a warning screen on the display. Click on the Inside option and you'll see the Low Tire warning that I had prior to trading it in.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am

I like the 2 series. That said, that's the price I paid for my 2008 650i last year. Cars are having a hard time across the board, luxury coupes are getting hit really hard. Hopefully that means I can snag up a mid-range Challenger down the line for a good deal.

Got to drive my buddy's '79 MG Midget. Weighs 1600lbs and is pushing 65hp. Was cool driving it around a little beach town, but I had no ability to move at all. I had to drive with my left arm out of the car like that because there was no where else for it. I couldn't lean forward or back, or slouch, or anything. And to get out I have to push up on the transmission tunnel and body like climbing out of a tank. Really cool experience, considering I never could actually own one.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 pm

They gave me a shiny new 2018 F150 Super Duty at work, and it has that auto shut off thingamjig. Weird to feel the engine turn off at a traffic light, and come back on when you release the brake pedal.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Any recent Nissan Pathfinder owners up in here? I’m finding some great deals for new ones, but Consumer Reports is pretty meh on them.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:40 pm

I like the 2 series. That said, that's the price I paid for my 2008 650i last year. Cars are having a hard time across the board, luxury coupes are getting hit really hard. Hopefully that means I can snag up a mid-range Challenger down the line for a good deal.
Yeah, when I was doing some searching on cars.com and autotrader, I was surprised at how far some of the prices have fallen. There are a few things that I had been looking at before where the price had depreciated almost 30-40% in two years.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:09 pm

They gave me a shiny new 2018 F150 Super Duty at work, and it has that auto shut off thingamjig. Weird to feel the engine turn off at a traffic light, and come back on when you release the brake pedal.
I can't believe this actually saves fuel. It's got to wear out the engine and battery/starter. I had it on a rental once and it scared the crap out of me the first time it happened.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:16 pm

Is the entire engine shutting off, or just specific cylinders? If the latter, it’s been used in certain cars for a long time now.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm

Is the entire engine shutting off, or just specific cylinders? If the latter, it’s been used in certain cars for a long time now.
The entire engine shuts down.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:42 pm

^

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:16 pm

I did notice in the jeep Cherokee I had last week that it would only shut down if the AC wasn't running.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 pm

I did notice in the jeep Cherokee I had last week that it would only shut down if the AC wasn't running.
Yeah, in the new Buicks the autostop is disabled by either having the AC on MAX or having the trans in manual shift mode.