Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

offsides

Postby offsides » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Forget the Miata, what’s the British looking car next to it?
1965 Austin Healey 3000 MK III

offsides

Postby offsides » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Also, is that a Miata in the background?
Yep, a 1991. Second year they were made. It is a one owner car, me.

offsides

Postby offsides » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:24 pm

In terms of composition, yeah. It should've been to the far left/rear. It's a cool shot, though, a neat study on how to make a Mustang look huge. I wonder how my DMC would look slotted in there.
I just decided to line them up by year. 1965, 1966, 1972, 1991. The TR6 is gone to make room for the Vette. Can't wait to start driving them again. The heck with this weather.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Wow. Very nice.

I have my own preferences for various makes and models of cars. But I can appreciate any car regardless of year or make that has been well kept by an attentive owner. :thumb:

Honestly, if I were to go to a large meet at Carlisle or similar I'd be more fascinated by an mint Dodge Omni than another Mustang or Corvette.

As for the old British roadsters, I like them a lot as cars but I'm just too big for them. The D is already a stretch (TWSS), no way I'm fitting in a Healy, Sprite, MG, etc.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 pm

I was going to post this last time, but gave you the benefit of the doubt and re-framed the issue with a tactful reply, but:

Honestly, go **** yourself.
Morons are morons.

I'm surprised with how cheap a later model Mustang goes for, at least the manual transmission ones I've seen. The V8 is too much for me but I've seen a few loaded single owner V6 ones with less than 30K on them going for around $12K. Have you driven the model prior to the current one?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:46 pm

And I meant the morons who lose control of their cars, not NTP. I'll leave that beef between the two of you.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:57 pm

I was going to post this last time, but gave you the benefit of the doubt and re-framed the issue with a tactful reply, but:

Honestly, go **** yourself.
Morons are morons.

I'm surprised with how cheap a later model Mustang goes for, at least the manual transmission ones I've seen. The V8 is too much for me but I've seen a few loaded single owner V6 ones with less than 30K on them going for around $12K. Have you driven the model prior to the current one?
I've driven the S197, it was a 2007 I believe. GT with some mods, belong to a Marine that thought he was a drag racer. Would live his windshield numbers on the car on Monday mornings.

It wasn't horrible, I like it more than the ones that followed it. And it was a much nicer interior than my '98 had.

Hoping my Dad gets his '65 on the road this summer. He's done with the motor, is repairing the body now.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:35 pm

I learned to drive stick on a TR6. Sweet pics.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 am

And I meant the morons who lose control of their cars, not NTP. I'll leave that beef between the two of you.
lol, I’m just giving the Mustang guys ****. dodint’s probably capable of plowing into a crowd with any car, really.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Good bit of misinformation there.

This has been for sale off and on for a while now, I forget the provinence of that particular car though I do not believe it was one of the original AMEX cars.

There is a cool story about the plating, it was done in Germany.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 pm

knew that would get your attention

I thought Delorean had 100 gold plated cars.

Would this be the same car?

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a93/gold ... dated.aspx

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Two were sold through the original AMEX program and have the brown interior.
One was assembled at the factory during liquidation, unofficially.
Any others are cobbled together from the extra panels that were liquidated with everything else.

I see my history differs from theirs. I'm not convinced the one from the bank in Snyder doesn't have a tan interior.

There is no way they could have filled more orders for them, let alone 100. The panels were incredibly hard to make and had to be smuggled out of Germany in a produce truck.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 am

Pulled from the weather thread:
I was at the BMW dealer on Baum Blvd picking up my car (Takata airbag recall) on Wednesday and was talking to my service coordinator. We both have classic cars so the DMC came up, and he said "That thing weighs like 4,000lbs, right?" so it's a common misconception.
P&W was the single worst dealership I have ever dealt with. It sucks that its the only dealership that is reasonably accessible for people in the city or north. Granted, this was over ten years ago so maybe they've improved. Good experience?
I'm not kidding when I say I've had a fantastic experience every time I've gone there, and I've used the MINI and BMW side. The only downfall is that their location is complete ****, it's not a place you can just pop into very well, but I imagine you already knew that.

First use was an injector failure on the MINI, they got me in that day, gave me a loaner, and got the car fixed and ready by COB the next day and on budget.

Then I bought my 650i from them. I bought it as-is but my SiriusXM receiver broke about a month later, I called up my sales guy (hi Dave!) and he arranged to have it replaced for free despite the car being 10 years old and without warranty.

This airbag recall, they gave me the day I wanted to drop off and completed the work on time, gave me a nice loaner. Service Coordinator did some extra work I asked him to do; pull a build sheet from Dinan to find out what tuner modifications my car has. He says it's their policy to charge one hour of labor for that, but since I'm the first person ever to ask him he didn't know that so he performed the work for free.

I'm sure all dealers do this now, but they have an integrated service system where you receive a text with a link to their service platform. You can see the jobs they're doing, and the jobs they recommend and what they'll cost. You can authorize or deny the extra work through the platform, it's very cool.

I'm surprised you had a bad time. Maybe they're under new management as that whole operation runs very smoothly on both sides of the street. Just, that location, tho...

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am

I don't mind the location, but I grew up across the bridge so that colors it.

That sounds miles better than what I experienced with them. Their loaner fleet was practically non-existent, and they constantly tried to shunt you into their ride-along service that was basically an inefficient taxi service. I would try to explain to them that I need to be able to drive for my job to various counties for appearances. Was a constant headache on that front. It honestly dissuaded me from considering BMWs because I am not driving to Monroeville or god forbid Canonsburg for service and they are the only other game in town.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:34 am

Oh, no. I was given a new BMW X2 and joked that I thought I had the same car last time. He said, "That's unlikely but possible, we have over 50 loaners." The first time I went there I asked for a shuttle and they insisted I take a car instead. The hardest part for me is finding a gas station close when I return, probably less of a problem for you. I just use the Shell at Baum and Ravoux.

Their weirdness is they own a big storage lot over by the busway, so they have to run everything back and forth if it doesn't fit in their tiny maintenance area. I think that's why it runs so smooth because a mistake cost them that delay of having to go back and forth to the lot.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:49 am

That's miles better. They probably had half that figure (if not less) back in the day.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 pm

The hardest part for me is finding a gas station close when I return, probably less of a problem for you. I just use the Shell at Baum and Ravoux.
There's a GetGo about 200 ft away. 8-)

Since I'm usually passing through downtown and Bloomfield, I usually hit that BP right before the Bloomfield Bridge.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Woohoo! A fresh 11′8″ video:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 pm

And a second video!

This second video has some NSFW (but hilarious) live bystander commentary.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Pulled from the weather thread:
I was at the BMW dealer on Baum Blvd picking up my car (Takata airbag recall) on Wednesday and was talking to my service coordinator. We both have classic cars so the DMC came up, and he said "That thing weighs like 4,000lbs, right?" so it's a common misconception.
P&W was the single worst dealership I have ever dealt with. It sucks that its the only dealership that is reasonably accessible for people in the city or north. Granted, this was over ten years ago so maybe they've improved. Good experience?
I'm not kidding when I say I've had a fantastic experience every time I've gone there, and I've used the MINI and BMW side. The only downfall is that their location is complete ****, it's not a place you can just pop into very well, but I imagine you already knew that.

First use was an injector failure on the MINI, they got me in that day, gave me a loaner, and got the car fixed and ready by COB the next day and on budget.

Then I bought my 650i from them. I bought it as-is but my SiriusXM receiver broke about a month later, I called up my sales guy (hi Dave!) and he arranged to have it replaced for free despite the car being 10 years old and without warranty.

This airbag recall, they gave me the day I wanted to drop off and completed the work on time, gave me a nice loaner. Service Coordinator did some extra work I asked him to do; pull a build sheet from Dinan to find out what tuner modifications my car has. He says it's their policy to charge one hour of labor for that, but since I'm the first person ever to ask him he didn't know that so he performed the work for free.

I'm sure all dealers do this now, but they have an integrated service system where you receive a text with a link to their service platform. You can see the jobs they're doing, and the jobs they recommend and what they'll cost. You can authorize or deny the extra work through the platform, it's very cool.

I'm surprised you had a bad time. Maybe they're under new management as that whole operation runs very smoothly on both sides of the street. Just, that location, tho...
I bought my TDI (used) from there in 2012. Had a decent experience, the location is definitely garbage.

The only gripe I had was they said they lost the second key and would get it to me, but they never did... And I didn't have anything in writing.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:46 pm

They got me a second key but I got it in writing.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 pm

The hardest part for me is finding a gas station close when I return, probably less of a problem for you. I just use the Shell at Baum and Ravoux.
There's a GetGo about 200 ft away. 8-)

Since I'm usually passing through downtown and Bloomfield, I usually hit that BP right before the Bloomfield Bridge.
That get go even has diesel. That was the straw that broke the camels back on my TDI deal... Fill it up and I'll buy.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 pm

They got me a second key but I got it in writing.
Found out when I walked out to the car. Lesson learned. That car was the best decision I ever made. Thanks, dieselgate

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:52 pm

I listen to an automotive consumer protection podcast for fun. I was primed and ready.