Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:11 pm

So had to get one catalytic converter on the Flex replaced today. On running diagnostics, the other one is bad now too. 1500 miles out of warranty.

The good part of this is that ford is covering 60% of the repair, at warranty price, and they are giving us a new extended warranty for another 3 years, 36,000 miles. This is helpful because Mrs. Franchise wants to get at least that much more out of it, and these engines have a habit of needing $3,000+ water pump replacements in the vicinity of 100k miles (82k now).

The bad news is that it took them so long to get us scheduled for the repair that the inspection is up today. Fingers crossed that somehow it passes at my appointment on Thursday before the CEL goes off again. Didn't light on the drive home but I understand it needs a certain number of drive cycles, which is why it couldn't be inspected after the repair. Apparently PA has no grace period on inspection expiration, even if you can show them that you have had repairs done or parts on order to have it fixed. It was inspected three weeks ago and took till the 31st to get parts in for repair. Mrs. F does not want to drive a sedan because it causes her back problems, so she needs to decide whether she risks back issues or a fine.

Rental SUV's are at least $600 a week right now so not sure that's an option.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:26 pm

Source of the post Didn't light on the drive home but I understand it needs a certain number of drive cycles, which is why it couldn't be inspected after the repair. Apparently PA has no grace period on inspection expiration, even if you can show them that you have had repairs done or parts on order to have it fixed.
Went through this in December. Do you have an ODB2 scanner? Worth having, if not, but it should tell you if the emissions system is ready for testing or not. I had to drive my car about 10 miles or so at highway speed before it cleared.

This is the scanner that I have, and would recommend:

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:32 pm

Source of the post Didn't light on the drive home but I understand it needs a certain number of drive cycles, which is why it couldn't be inspected after the repair. Apparently PA has no grace period on inspection expiration, even if you can show them that you have had repairs done or parts on order to have it fixed.
Went through this in December. Do you have an ODB2 scanner? Worth having, if not, but it should tell you if the emissions system is ready for testing or not. I had to drive my car about 10 miles or so at highway speed before it cleared.

I don't but should get one.

In the last couple months I had one Ford dealer hit me for $289 to do the diagnostic and another tell me they were really busy and couldn't fit me in (I asked to talk to the manager and they did it). I mean, that thing takes seriously 3 minutes.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:34 pm

I don't but should get one.

In the last couple months I had one Ford dealer hit me for $289 to do the diagnostic and another tell me they were really busy and couldn't fit me in (I asked to talk to the manager and they did it). I mean, that thing takes seriously 3 minutes.
Well, the one I linked also has a 15% off coupon right now if you check the box, so maybe now's the time. The iOS apps works really well, and is easy to use. Clears codes just fine, as well.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:34 pm

Try this:

For newer Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles, to determine if the vehicle is ready for E-Check, turn
the ignition key to the “on” position for 15 seconds without cranking the engine. If the service engine
soon indicator blinks eight times, it means that the vehicle is not ready for E-Check; if the service engine
soon indicator stays on solid, it means that the vehicle is ready for E-Check testing. This same procedure may apply
to other models and model years Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:37 pm

So had to get one catalytic converter on the Flex replaced today. On running diagnostics, the other one is bad now too. 1500 miles out of warranty.

The good part of this is that ford is covering 60% of the repair, at warranty price, and they are giving us a new extended warranty for another 3 years, 36,000 miles. This is helpful because Mrs. Franchise wants to get at least that much more out of it, and these engines have a habit of needing $3,000+ water pump replacements in the vicinity of 100k miles (82k now).

The bad news is that it took them so long to get us scheduled for the repair that the inspection is up today. Fingers crossed that somehow it passes at my appointment on Thursday before the CEL goes off again. Didn't light on the drive home but I understand it needs a certain number of drive cycles, which is why it couldn't be inspected after the repair. Apparently PA has no grace period on inspection expiration, even if you can show them that you have had repairs done or parts on order to have it fixed. It was inspected three weeks ago and took till the 31st to get parts in for repair. Mrs. F does not want to drive a sedan because it causes her back problems, so she needs to decide whether she risks back issues or a fine.

I thought that emissions warranties went up to like 120k miles?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:38 pm

Oh, and if you have a ford I totally recommend the ELM327 USB OBD2 adapter from Amazon and download the FORScan program. It is extremely powerful, but can pull codes from all of the modules in your Flex. It's how I just found the code for the rear shock damper in my wife's Expedition.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:38 pm

I thought that emissions warranties went up to like 120k miles?
80k on the 2018 Flex. CEL popped at 81,500.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:42 pm

Oh, and if you have a ford I totally recommend the ELM327 USB OBD2 adapter from Amazon and download the FORScan program. It is extremely powerful, but can pull codes from all of the modules in your Flex. It's how I just found the code for the rear shock damper in my wife's Expedition.
Since mac is lazy:

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:46 pm

Cops won't pull you over for the sticker being expired. Source: my uncle is a cop and his car is two years passed inspection. My dad pointes it out last time they went fishing and he said they just won't pull you over for only that.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:52 pm

Cops won't pull you over for the sticker being expired. Source: my uncle is a cop and his car is two years passed inspection. My dad pointes it out last time they went fishing and he said they just won't pull you over for only that.
My BIL is asst chief of police in a medium sized central PA city and his statement was "if you get pulled over for something else and they notice, and you have the documentation that you are working on getting it repaired they'll probably let you off. But you never know if you're going to get an dadhole."

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:10 pm

I never got a sticker for my M6. It's been three years or so.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:21 pm

If anyone needs an inexpensive mechanically strong second vehicle or winter beater, I got you: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 88138.html

This will be the shortest I've ever owned a vehicle. I bought it at the end of October.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:31 pm

yes they can.

source: literally me once getting pulled over for this

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:15 pm

Are AGM batteries worth an upgrade over lead acid if your manufacturer doesn't specifically recommend one? I know my wife's expedition does because of the additional electronics. But my truck doesn't have nearly the bells and whistles hers does, not to mention I need 2 batteries (diesel pickup). Didn't know if it was worth the $50 each upcharge

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:16 pm

When I was researching batteries, they seemed to be highly recommended. I’d have gotten one had Costco carried them on site, but they were all special orders.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:17 pm

You need an Antigravity Lithium battery.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:32 pm

When I was researching batteries, they seemed to be highly recommended. I’d have gotten one had Costco carried them on site, but they were all special orders.
I'm thinking of using Sam's for the battery anyway, I'm not sure what ones they have in store. I need a 94r series battery, two of them actually. $130 vs $180 for the lead acid / AGM.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:07 pm

I have AGM batteries in both vehicles - AC Delco Gold in the Buick and DieHard Platinum in the Mazda. I don't mind spending more for the best, especially when it comes to batteries, tires, or wiper blades.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:41 pm

I think I may get the AGMs from Sam's club. They are $190 each actually, but seems to be worth it.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:07 am

:lol: Hey @mac5155, here’s a diesel for you.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:11 am

It's amazing to me what people are asking for 10 year-old cars with 150K on the clock.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:11 am

My TrailBlazer is still for sale.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:39 pm

It's amazing to me what people are asking for 10 year-old cars with 150K on the clock.
And that vehicle was part of the TDI buyback program from VW. Whoever owned it in 2017ish would've received a check for about $12k, or if they kept it, aboit half of that. Insanity, agreed.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:39 pm

Two new AGM batteries installed today. Really chaps your ass how expensive batteries are but hopefully I'm good for at least 3 if not more years