Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:57 am

Ended up buying a civic hatchback this past weekend. So far, totally happy with it. I had no idea how lazy driving an automatic car had become.

Adaptive Cruise Control in traffic is ridiculously awesome. Being able to brake and gas without actually doing anything is fun. Gonna stink on days I have to drive my Jeep to work lol.
I know it is definitely coming, but I still really like driving a car. I think it will be safer and easier to just sit and stare at an i-pad or phone. Plus letting the car drive you home after a night out will be good for bar business. Wonder when NASCAR will adapt it.
This is a major reason why I fall in love with my manual wrangler when I drive it. I absolutely love driving a manual, and being able to feel the engine, etc.

offsides

Postby offsides » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:06 pm

Ended up buying a civic hatchback this past weekend. So far, totally happy with it. I had no idea how lazy driving an automatic car had become.

Adaptive Cruise Control in traffic is ridiculously awesome. Being able to brake and gas without actually doing anything is fun. Gonna stink on days I have to drive my Jeep to work lol.
I know it is definitely coming, but I still really like driving a car. I think it will be safer and easier to just sit and stare at an i-pad or phone. Plus letting the car drive you home after a night out will be good for bar business. Wonder when NASCAR will adapt it.
This is a major reason why I fall in love with my manual wrangler when I drive it. I absolutely love driving a manual, and being able to feel the engine, etc.
I couldn't agree more. It is the reason I have 4 manual cars. Gonna keep driving them as long as I can.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:14 pm

So I test drove the Mazda 3. I'm 6'4. My head his the beam constantly, and I HATE Mazda's infotainment system with a passion. My wife has the CX - 5. I'm just not a fan.

If you have apple, Mazda's do not come with CarPlay standard, so negotiate that into the cost if it's something you care about. Apple CarPlay in my Honda is fantastic and it's always jarring when i want to listen to my phone in my wife's Mazda.
The 2019s have Car Play - that's what I'm looking at now. Are you specifically not a fan of Mazdas, the CX-5, or the infotainment system? I'm dangerously close to buying a 2019 CX-5, so interested in your take.
I've heard all of these wonderful takes about how much fun they are to drive, and I'm just meh on it. The infotainment system, is annoying to me, I hate the center knob system and everything that comes with it.

Being that I'm taller, the seats don't lower enough for my liking. Driving/engine/performance and all of that is OK. I think it'd be more fun w/a manual but that's just me. I don't know, when I compared it to my Honda, my Honda just gave me that "feeling" of being more fun to drive.

Now, all things considered, my wife LOVES her CX-5.
Thanks for the input. I'm not a huge fan of that infotainment system either. I can't figure out why anyone would think a giant mouse essentially is better than typical radio controls. That said, that was my only real problem with the vehicle on the surface.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:14 pm

I have felt that way my whole life and still do, but having the first 5 miles of Rt. 28 in my daily commute is testing that resolve. Luckily it's so second nature now that it really doesn't make much of a difference whether I'm in an auto or manual, it happens whether I think about it or not either way.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 pm

My Civic just hit 163k miles, and has never given me any issues. I spent about 90 minutes giving it a deep clean last weekend, and I forgot how nice the old girl could still look with care. Obviously, with having a five year old and a dog that is always jumping in and out, I can only do so much with the upholstery :lol: Still, with the thought of possibly getting a new car this summer, I am starting to wax nostalgic. Crazy how attached we get to cars.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm

shmenguin has probably spent 90 minutes cleaning his car over the past two decades.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:56 pm

Cool thing about DD'ing a car you know you're going to turn into a race car is you don't care at all about that stuff. If something on it breaks, I throw it away. I threw away a bunch of trunk lining this weekend. :lol:

I give that level of attention to the DMC and the wife's MINI, though. The van...ehhhh, not so much.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Speaking of, I hadn't noticed this in the past, but there's some sort of auto shop alongside the train tracks on my ride home. I noticed last week that they had at least four DeLoreans sitting on their lot.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:53 pm

I have felt that way my whole life and still do, but having the first 5 miles of Rt. 28 in my daily commute is testing that resolve. Luckily it's so second nature now that it really doesn't make much of a difference whether I'm in an auto or manual, it happens whether I think about it or not either way.
Yea I used to have an old lancer evo that was a manual, then my Jeep. I did almost 10 years pre-post construction on 28, it's so natural there were days I don't even remember changing gears.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Source of the post Yea I used to have an old lancer evo that was a manual
I knew I liked you for a reason. What year EVO? I sometimes miss my 4G63-powered Eclipse GSX.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Source of the post Yea I used to have an old lancer evo that was a manual
I knew I liked you for a reason. What year EVO? I sometimes miss my 4G63-powered Eclipse GSX.
2003. Was great, but lasted for me roughly 100K(I bought it used at 26Kmiles) miles before the clutch burned up on it. Miss that car to this day though, wish they still made EVOs. I live near a guy that has a 2015 "Final Edition," and it looks as sharp as ever.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:38 pm

The EVO VIII was my favorite generation, too. Nice. I thought about buying one after I got rid of my GSX, but I knew if I did, I would never stop modifying the car, and it would turn into a money pit.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Yea, I drove the car hard, and it actually became too much money for me to handle. Traded it in for my Wrangler. Do not regret it one bit, just miss the car.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Drove it hard but went through a single clutch in that timeframe? Haaa. Granted, I used to run mine at the track, but I went through 3-4 in that same timeframe.

I remember installing my stutterbox and basically making every red light a high RPM launch. That also explains the number of speeding tickets I got back then. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm

When I was a LCpl on my first fleet exercise in Yuma I borrowed my buddies Subaru WRX STi to go out in town and get a haircut. Cool car, but the first (only) time I drove it the clutch failed. The guy only had it for about a year. When he called Subaru they apologized and sent a wrecker from San Diego to Yuma to pick it up. It turns out that particular car was used as a demo car at promotional stunt shows and spent the beginning of its life being relentlessly ragged out doing drifts and burnouts. They gave him an upgraded clutch under warranty no questions asked. :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Drove it hard but went through a single clutch in that timeframe? Haaa. Granted, I used to run mine at the track, but I went through 3-4 in that same timeframe.

I remember installing my stutterbox and basically making every red light a high RPM launch. That also explains the number of speeding tickets I got back then. :lol:
Well, to be fair - I don[t know who had it before me, but I had nothing but highway miles on it until the last year of 28 driving. The clutch on it, really shouldn't have been the first thing major to go with it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:37 pm

I spent so much money on parts at Road Race Engineering and a few other shops that it almost makes me sick thinking back about it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:47 pm

When I was a LCpl on my first fleet exercise in Yuma I borrowed my buddies Subaru WRX STi to go out in town and get a haircut. Cool car, but the first (only) time I drove it the clutch failed. The guy only had it for about a year. When he called Subaru they apologized and sent a wrecker from San Diego to Yuma to pick it up. It turns out that particular car was used as a demo car at promotional stunt shows and spent the beginning of its life being relentlessly ragged out doing drifts and burnouts. They gave him an upgraded clutch under warranty no questions asked. :lol:
I wanted a WRX so badly about 8 years ago. Ended up going with a Fusion Sport AWD... Not exactly apples to apples but also a fun car to drive. It was about 7k cheaper too, and it was already more car than I could afford at the time anyway.

Now my wife has the nice car.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:50 pm

I actually was going to get a WRX instead of Honda but my wife vetoed me for the first time ever because it was a stick.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:52 pm

This is why I drive old af cars:

offsides

Postby offsides » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:23 pm

^^^ :thumb: ^^^

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 am

I too always loved the Evo growing up.. Evo viii my favorite look. Wanted to pull the trigger on a 2015 FE and got the wifes blessing, but we hadn't bought our first home yet and I thought probably wiser to save and put the money towards a house. I got a new STI last year due to the no more Evos thing and quite enjoy the car but sometimes wish I had got/could get an evo. Too scared to buy a used one. One plus is the wife agreed that I can get a tune and do a few things once the warranty expires LOL.

Wanting to put the summer tires back on soon and hit autocross circuits again starting mid April..but it snowed this weekend in Detroit so idfk.. :)

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 am

I was looking at the Sti and Evo just out of college. The EVO had a crappy Mitsu interior, and the WRX had the squirrel catcher, so my now wife kind of vetoed both. So I got a used E46 M3 instead.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 am

What color? (Phoenix Yellow pls)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:30 pm

When I was a LCpl
E-4! E-4!

(I remember having to memorize all of these). I used to hate how goddamn complicated the enlisted USAF ranks were :lol: