Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:03 pm

The HRV is the only Honda I wouldn't recommend. Go for the Mazda. Zoom zoom!

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:13 pm

Will any warranties transfer? If so, you would be getting almost all of the Kia's warranty (5 / 60,000), whereas the Toyota might be out of warranty already (3 / 36,000). I've owned two cars from Hyundai / Kia, and I don't have anything bad to say about them.

I don't have personal experience with the HRV, but I can say that the reviews I've read have generally not been complementary.

Consumer Reports says:

2022 Sportage: Reliability 3/5, Owner Satisfaction 4/5

Highs
Easy-to-use controls
Handy size with a roomy and versatile interior
Sportier to drive than most competitors

Lows
Hampered rear and side visibility

2021 CX30: Reliability 3/5, Owner Satisfaction 3/5

Highs
Fit and finish
Fuel economy

Lows
Controls
Engine noise
Tight quarters
Visibility
Parking brake engages automatically but doesn't disengage automatically

2020 HR-V: Reliability 3/5, Owner Satisfaction 2/5

Highs
Practical, with roomy seating and plenty of cargo space
Very fuel efficient

Lows
Stiff ride
Loud inside
Tinny feel
Seats are insubstantial and short on support
Feels underpowered

2019 RAV4: Reliability 2/5, Owner Satisfaction 2/5

Highs
Fuel economy
Standard advanced safety features

Lows
Engine noise
Ride
Fit and finish

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:23 pm

Knowing nothing about any of them, I would go Honda purely on name.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:57 pm

If you’ve driven the Mazda and like the size and feel, I’d go with it. Mazdas aren’t made for tall guys so it was out of me after I test drove one. Same with the rav 4. My head didn’t even fit with the driver seat all the way down.

I personally don’t like the look of the pre 2023 sportages, but if you do it should be fine. And yeah, the Hrv just doesn’t look great.

Probably sounds weird to suggest the two that I wouldn’t touch with a 6 foot pole (because they aren’t made for 6 foot poles) but the Mazda and Toyota would be my suggestion.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:11 pm

Noticeably absent from that group is a Stellantis option.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:15 pm

Will any warranties transfer? If so, you would be getting almost all of the Kia's warranty (5 / 60,000), whereas the Toyota might be out of warranty already (3 / 36,000).
:thumb:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:35 am

My family will never own another Mazda. I told my wife I am 100% sure of that, and next time if it's between the Honda CRV and the Mazda CX, no question it's the CRV 10/10 times.

Mazda's are entirely too small internally, just feels tight especially with someone who's 6'4. I am full time driver because my son's carseat doesn't fit completely behind me when I sit in the car.

My biggest gripe, whatever they used for their transmission/acceleration components is straight dogshit. I'll put my foot down on the gas and it's a .5-1 second lag, which to me is awful.

Never again with Mazda.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:41 am

I'll put my foot down on the gas and it's a .5-1 second lag, which to me is awful.
What modern automatic transmission doesn't do that? Granted, I haven't driven any modern V8's so maybe they don't do that.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:43 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It is much appreciated.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:55 am

I'll put my foot down on the gas and it's a .5-1 second lag, which to me is awful.
What modern automatic transmission doesn't do that? Granted, I haven't driven any modern V8's so maybe they don't do that.
my Honda absolutely didn't do that. We're talking I put my foot down, and it has a noticeable jerk forward like "oh yea, I'm supposed to be going forward."

There's a lot of people with that issue online if you look for it. Something with their computer system that has this weird input delay.

It's enough of an issue that it's a never again for me.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 am

my Honda absolutely didn't do that. We're talking I put my foot down, and it has a noticeable jerk forward like "oh yea, I'm supposed to be going forward."

There's a lot of people with that issue online if you look for it. Something with their computer system that has this weird input delay.

The last car I rented was a Kia Soul and it did that.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 am

I'm sure overall Mazda's are great cars when comparing them to other things not a Honda, I'd say they're top of the list. Even exterior design wise they're top of the list compared to all other cars, including Honda. That's actually the major point that sold my wife.

Infotainment system is trash - poorly designed, ugly within the dashboard, no carplay support unless I pay like hundreds for a USB fix from the dealer for our 2018 model.

Abar is tight, providing blind spots for certain things.

Small, small, small internally. It's like a daytrip worthy vehicle, but anything past a family of 2, I'd say forget it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:01 am

The last car I rented was a Kia Soul and it did that.
I would expect a KIA to do that lmao. We drove a sorento once and it did that, and it was auto no for us.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:19 am

I'm sure overall Mazda's are great cars when comparing them to other things not a Honda, I'd say they're top of the list. Even exterior design wise they're top of the list compared to all other cars, including Honda. That's actually the major point that sold my wife.

Infotainment system is trash - poorly designed, ugly within the dashboard, no carplay support unless I pay like hundreds for a USB fix from the dealer for our 2018 model.

Abar is tight, providing blind spots for certain things.

Small, small, small internally. It's like a daytrip worthy vehicle, but anything past a family of 2, I'd say forget it.
Have loved our Mazda's, wife had a Mazdaspeed6 and now a CX-9. I like the interior of the CX-9, much more than most Honda's I've driven so different strokes. I will agree though that I think the interior can feel smaller than it should for a vehicle that size, but I'm only 5'11" so I can deal with it.

But the piss poor CarPlay integration option for our cars is a disaster.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:32 am

Our two Honda Accords have no accel delay. My wife's '22 is very quick off the line. Now, my Pilot is a dog off the line, but once it hits 45+ it starts to cruise. Excellent highway kickdown passing gear.

scb147

Postby scb147 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:26 am

My Civic has a delay, I have to wait for that VTEC to kick in :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:01 pm

I'm not saying they don't have delays. I'm saying compared to the Mazda, the Mazda has a ridiculous delay.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:30 pm

If you want to feel some wonkiness, go test drive a VW Taos. Seriously, you hit the gas from a stop, you lurch, lurch, lurch... ZOOMM. It felt borderline dangerous.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 pm

Yea, I don't have to try it to even know that I won't buy it. Anything that doesn't feel instant, is an instant no from me going forward.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:48 am

Just when I think I'm done with this Kia dealer, they rope me back in....

He gave me a call this morning and said one of their PHEV Sportages are coming in this weekend. It's already sold, but if I wanted to come and take a look at it, the person buying it won't be able to pick it up until the end of the month. I won't be able to drive it, but I can take a peak at it. He claims that I'm next on the list to get one and being in the liberal mecca of State College, lots of hybrid cars get allocated to him. We'll see....

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:58 am

he’s lying

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 am

Yeah, there's zero chance I would even entertain that, personally. Unless you were dead set on the car and willing to pay their BS charges.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:00 am

Yeah no chance I would even entertain going in based on that. Guy seems super scummy even by car salesman standards.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:03 am

Sounds like a no-go from me too. That's a scummy practice overall, because you know he's going to allow you in that car and offer you over MSRP for it.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:05 am

This place has no BS mark-up. They sell at MSRP.

I'm just surprised he called me. Up to this point I've initiated every single contact and every single interaction. He almost seemed bothered by me being in his presence. He did send me the window sticker to the vehicle so that I can see the features and whatnot. It's legitimately getting delivered soon. He claimed that the person who got this one called the day it was even announced the Sportage would get a PHEV and put his name on the list (which would have been Aprilish I think). I was there in early July to throw my name on the list.