Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Although happy for you both, I can identify with neither.

;)

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon May 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Anyone want to go in on a custom uniboard?

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/mcy/5036711837.html

30MPH and it steers with skateboard wheels. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
I'd rather spend the money on the minibike that is being sold up the road for $100.

If I had a place to put it, I would buy it, troll it around Thunder In The Valley next month, and sell it shortly after. 8-)

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon May 25, 2015 6:49 pm

You don't like:
Kias?
Hatchbacks?
White cars?
Manual transmissions?

I didn't have much choice on the color. I bought the car from a dealer in Chantilly, Virginia, which is right next to Dulles Airport. Believe it or not, that was the closest dealer to Pittsburgh that had a Forte5 SX with a manual and the option package I wanted. I arranged the sale and my trade-in over the phone/internet and drove down with a cashier's check on Saturday. I would have preferred a red one, but the nearest red Forte5 with the same options is in Connecticut. I'm not going that far.

I did ask a local KIa dealer if they could get the car for me, but they said that by the time they went and got it, they would want me to pay something close to sticker for it. With the holiday weekend, I had plenty of time to go get it. I could have also tried ordering one, but Kia at the moment is offering $1,500 on Fortes purchased from dealer stock, so that greatly cushions the impact of not getting the color I preferred.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Mon May 25, 2015 6:52 pm

You don't like:
Kias?
Hatchbacks?
White cars?
Manual transmissions?

I didn't have much choice on the color. I bought the car from a dealer in Chantilly, Virginia, which is right next to Dulles Airport. Believe it or not, that was the closest dealer to Pittsburgh that had a Forte5 SX with a manual and the option package I wanted. I arranged the sale and my trade-in over the phone/internet and drove down with a cashier's check on Saturday. I would have preferred a red one, but the nearest red Forte5 with the same options is in Connecticut. I'm not going that far.

I did ask a local KIa dealer if they could get the car for me, but they said that by the time they went and got it, they would want me to pay something close to sticker for it. With the holiday weekend, I had plenty of time to go get it. I could have also tried ordering one, but Kia at the moment is offering $1,500 on Fortes purchased from dealer stock, so that greatly cushions the impact of not getting the color I preferred.
Congrats Shyster. I'm sure in no time the color wil grow on you. One thing about white cars, they're easier to keep clean.
Your car was most likely manufactured about 20 miles from where I'm sitting in Auburn. The folks down here speak highly of the quality coming out of that plant, so I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the ride.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon May 25, 2015 7:04 pm

So, I had a job the last three plus years that I absolutely loved. Then a private equity firm took Riverbed private and I was laid off. I was truly bummed. Fortunately I had had built up quite a reputation, more than I realized. On Friday, I accepted a new job that is even better than the one I held. The money is as good, and there's an opportunity to build a practice for this new firm that could potentially result in a significant personal financial gain.
Why do I bring this up? Because I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new ride:
You must not have used this board for references. :pop:
Kidding, crongrats EPP! That's a nice bike.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon May 25, 2015 7:05 pm

You don't like:
Kias?
Hatchbacks?
White cars?
Manual transmissions?

He doesn't like anything that isn't a BMW.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 25, 2015 7:49 pm

You don't like:
Kias?
Hatchbacks?
White cars?
Manual transmissions?
I don’t have anything against it. Happy that you sought out and found what you were looking for. :thumb:

When I said I couldn't identify it's because I don't understand the hot hatch craze. It just never clicked with me. When I was a teenager it was still Civics, and a friend of mine is a Focus devotee. I scratch my head with the BMW Z3 M Coupe too so it's brand universal. The only one that ever woke me up was the VW Sirocco, old and new. Same for pickup trucks, it just doesn't reach me.

The white is fine, looks great when it's clean. Some black wheels would really make it pop.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Tue May 26, 2015 12:12 pm

I am so screwed haha. Car went to get inspected today. Body is rusted into the trunk, exhaust pipe is rusted, muffler has a leak, ball bearings are almost screwed. 2000 Mitsubishi Galant with 150k miles...I think it's time for a new car.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue May 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Body is rusted into the trunk...
Who'd you buy that car off of? Tony Soprano?
:lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Did you consider using a service like Carmax or TrueCar? Mrs Tif bought her ride from TrueCar and it was a superbly pain-free experience.

(Full disclosure: One of our best friends works for them)

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue May 26, 2015 12:47 pm

So, I had a job the last three plus years that I absolutely loved. Then a private equity firm took Riverbed private and I was laid off. I was truly bummed. Fortunately I had had built up quite a reputation, more than I realized. On Friday, I accepted a new job that is even better than the one I held. The money is as good, and there's an opportunity to build a practice for this new firm that could potentially result in a significant personal financial gain.
Why do I bring this up? Because I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new ride:
You must not have used this board for references. :pop:
Kidding, crongrats EPP! That's a nice bike.
That thing is as big as my Toyota.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:55 pm

When I said I couldn't identify it's because I don't understand the hot hatch craze. It just never clicked with me. When I was a teenager it was still Civics, and a friend of mine is a Focus devotee. I scratch my head with the BMW Z3 M Coupe too so it's brand universal. The only one that ever woke me up was the VW Sirocco, old and new. Same for pickup trucks, it just doesn't reach me.
Imo, the hot hatch is the perfect nexus of motoring; driving pleasure* and real-world practicality.

I still kind of get wistful thinking about the VW Corrado that I never owned. ;)

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue May 26, 2015 12:55 pm

wheres the best place to get tires
Tirerack.com
ive used tire rack pretty regularly for the last 5 years or so but i do not think they are that much more cost effective after mounting/balancing/etc that most shops include with a purchase
You're right. You're looking at nearly a hundo for mounting and balancing if you don't buy tires at a tire shop. It may be far for you but some posters have said it's the cheapest option. http://www.mongelltire.com is my uncle's shop, in Scottdale and Connellsville PA. His price will be the entire price (excluding tax).
price with shipping install etc thru tire rack: 745.54
price through sams club fully loaded: 629.39

Craig

Postby Craig » Tue May 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Never saw a hatchback i didnt hate.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Tue May 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Body is rusted into the trunk...
Who'd you buy that car off of? Tony Soprano?
:lol:
:P

I DID get it from a guy who got it from an estate sale. So it would make sense...

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue May 26, 2015 1:16 pm

It's got as much power as a 'Yota, that's for sure. It looks large but rides 'small'.

I'm not much of a "Fat Boy" or "Full Dresser" rider myself. I figure if you want all of that, just buy a sports car. But this bike is an excellent day cruiser.

The only real downside is the expectation I get from others when I come out of a store or restaurant or other establishment and people are looking at the bike. It's like they *want* me to be some kind of badass and I'm not into playing "roles". If I want to skip over to my ride while singing show tunes, that's my business. I'm not into worrying about creating an image for others.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue May 26, 2015 1:17 pm

wheres the best place to get tires
Tirerack.com
ive used tire rack pretty regularly for the last 5 years or so but i do not think they are that much more cost effective after mounting/balancing/etc that most shops include with a purchase
You're right. You're looking at nearly a hundo for mounting and balancing if you don't buy tires at a tire shop. It may be far for you but some posters have said it's the cheapest option. http://www.mongelltire.com is my uncle's shop, in Scottdale and Connellsville PA. His price will be the entire price (excluding tax).
price with shipping install etc thru tire rack: 745.54
price through sams club fully loaded: 629.39
Awesome! I'm not a SAMs club member myself.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue May 26, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm a fan of hatches (and wagons) first. The hot aspect of the car is just a bonus. I conversely don't understand why people buy trunked sedans (or most SUVs). A hatchback or wagon offers much more cargo space and overall utility from the same size and wheelbase, with only a minor increase in weight. For example, a Kia Forte sedan has 96 ft3 of passenger volume and 14 ft3 of cargo space, according to the EPA. My Firte5 hatchback—which is on the exact same platform—has 98 ft3 of passenger volume and 23 ft3 of cargo space. That's a 64% increase in cargo space.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 26, 2015 7:41 pm

I read something similar regarding the E46 3 series AWD Touring and the congruent X3. The wagon had more cargo and people space, better MPG, and was more capable offroad.

I'm a coupe fan, but with no interior my notchback is effectively a hatchback at this point anyway. ;)

I'm just happy you're excited, I'm thrilled to see anyone get excited about cars these days. And that manual transmission is an awesome anti-theft device.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue May 26, 2015 7:56 pm

I read something similar regarding the E46 3 series AWD Touring and the congruent X3. The wagon had more cargo and people space, better MPG, and was more capable offroad.

I'm a coupe fan, but with no interior my notchback is effectively a hatchback at this point anyway. ;)

I'm just happy you're excited, I'm thrilled to see anyone get excited about cars these days. And that manual transmission is an awesome anti-theft device.
I took my car into Pep Boys recently to get a new tire, which has blown out when I hit a divider, and none of the mechanics could drive a manual. :?: I had to coach the guy to get it in the garage.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 26, 2015 8:19 pm

I taught my wife on my '87 M6 and she learned well enough. FFWD five years and she couldn't grasp it again in my '93 325. Frustrating.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue May 26, 2015 8:32 pm

I took my car into Pep Boys recently to get a new tire, which has blown out when I hit a divider, and none of the mechanics could drive a manual. :?: I had to coach the guy to get it in the garage.
The sales rep I dealt with mentioned that they only had three people at the Kia dealership who knew how to drive a manual. Every time they needed to move a manual car, they had to track one of them down.

The new clutch is way grabbier than the nearly-worn-out clutch in my last car (all 160,000 miles were on the original clutch!). I've stalled out more times in the last three days than I probably did in the last 10 years. :oops:

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue May 26, 2015 9:44 pm

The sales rep I dealt with mentioned that they only had three people at the Kia dealership who knew how to drive a manual. Every time they needed to move a manual car, they had to track one of them down.

The new clutch is way grabbier than the nearly-worn-out clutch in my last car (all 160,000 miles were on the original clutch!). I've stalled out more times in the last three days than I probably did in the last 10 years. :oops:
The first non-automatic I operated was ...
a 1976 Honda
motorcycle

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue May 26, 2015 9:49 pm

I never learned, but I probably shouldn't even drive (so I'm cool with an automatic).

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:25 pm

I drove my father in laws Saab 6sp. First third and fifth gear were all within an inch of each other. Far cry from my 12 valve which I need go go gadget arms to hit fifth gear