Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:40 am

I don't get it. Is the person, in the parking lot with a ton of spaces, in the orange car parking too close to the line teaching the person in the dark car a lesson because she parked on the line?

What a hero. *yawn*
Yes. Very much so, except for the yawn bit. This was a huge pet peeve of mine at the one grocery store I used to go to, where all the luxury sport ute drivers would straddle lines in spaces marked 'compact', and Porsche drivers would blatantly park across more than one spot because their car is too precious to be affected by the goings on of the plebes.

The 90 seconds of outrage the Merc lady faced is possibly the worst thing that has happened to her in 10 years. I'll gladly take it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:40 am

Each one serves a different utility.

Tooling around in a 7 passenger vehicle by yourself is just a waste of resources.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:46 am

I don't get it. Is the person, in the parking lot with a ton of spaces, in the orange car parking too close to the line teaching the person in the dark car a lesson because she parked on the line?

What a hero. *yawn*
Yes. Very much so, except for the yawn bit. This was a huge pet peeve of mine at the one grocery store I used to go to, where all the luxury sport ute drivers would straddle lines in spaces marked 'compact', and Porsche drivers would blatantly park across more than one spot because their car is too precious to be affected by the goings on of the plebes.

The 90 seconds of outrage the Merc lady faced is possibly the worst thing that has happened to her in 10 years. I'll gladly take it.
The things you said are indeed bad, but that's not what's happening in the video.

Looks like she parked near the cart corral and didn't judge her distance well, parked on the line. Okay, yeah, technically wrong not terribly egregious. Then these two reddit heroes come along and pass up all those empty spots to 'teach her a lesson' by doing the same exact thing she's doing. A pretty empty existence, really. They have all the time in the world to sit around and film it but couldn't be bothered to park one row over?

Just have a hard time feeling like those people did anything worthwhile. Reminds me of an old line from Married...With Children when Peg got back from picking over a deceased relative's house, "I can't believe my aunt wanted BOTH of these TVs!"

Just a complete lack of self-awareness trying to be passed off as something noble. Everyone in that video is a loser.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 am

That's the point; the Prius is parked correctly and is centered within its space. It's not even cheating towards the Merc. The only reason there's an issue is because the Merc driver can't car right.

If the Prius driver could've parked one row over to avoid a situation, the Merc lady could've parked somewhere other than beside the cart return where she could've better judged the alignment. But she didn't because she wanted to put her car in a position where she felt she was unlikely to have to deal with another car next to her (no spot on the right, double park on the left = freedom from the masses).

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 am

Source of the post Then these two reddit heroes come along and pass up all those empty spots to 'teach her a lesson' by doing the same exact thing she's doing.
They didn't park over the line, but I get the rest of what you're saying. I still laughed at it, though.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am

Sure, they didn't park on the line because it was already occupied, obviously. It does cheat to the right, though, that's pretty clear in the video. tif is on some kind of weird anti-elitist parking bent (or can read her mind) so I'm just going to assume he's the one filming as there is really no other reason to defend this.

I just park and the end of the lot and, inevitably, some dadhole parks next to me anyway. It happens so regularly my wife and I have made a game of it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:02 pm

You're more sympathetic to line abusers than I would have imagined.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:04 pm

The probability that dodint parks his DMC across lines is 1.

:wink:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:06 pm

You're more sympathetic to line abusers than I would have imagined.
It's setting specific. Do I like the behavior? No. But I wouldn't get worked up over it in this setting because there are copious amounts of other spaces available. If this was that exceedingly tight lot behind Chatham University then yeah, I'm probably going to park my car on their hood and 'teach them a lesson.'

These knobs (and tif) are crying because someone parked on a line at the equivalent of a Giant Eagle. Get a life.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 pm

The probability that dodint parks his DMC across lines is 1.

:wink:
I leave the doors open so I can find it when I leave the store. Useless lifehack, that.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:10 pm

I guess it saves you the embarrassment of walking around aimlessly, double-tapping the keyless entry lock button to sound the horn.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:14 pm

No keyless entry. I have to put my actual key into the actual door. :(

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:29 pm

No keyless entry. I have to put my actual key into the actual door. :(
You should do that once in a while anyways, so that when the battery in your fob dies, the door lock isn't seized up.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:30 pm

shut up locksmith

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:32 pm

Just trying to save y'all some aggravation.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:42 pm

After many years of driving cheaper, used cars (both of our 2007 Civics have about 150k miles on them), my wife and I are finally both planning on buying new cars this year. It's one of those things that we just never made a priority before, but after driving some nice rentals, we both have the itch.

My wife really likes the Mazda CX5...I told her to just splurge for the Grand Touring edition since she'll be driving it for a long time. I'm not sure what I want...at first I wanted a Honda Odyssey, but I'm not sure if we will have a second child, and if we don't I'd prefer to drive something a little more fun. I did like the CX5 a lot, but don't want to get the same car as her either :lol:
Who 'wants' a minivan ? :pop: :lol:
DG66 touched on it, but I have heard nothing but fantastic things about the Odyssey. Plus, if we do have a second child, we'll already be equipped for that. I should also mention that we have an 80 pound goldendoodle that travels with us, and we do go on trips semi-frequently. I don't really get the "waste of resources" thing...the Odyssey averages around 28 on the highway, obviously lower than compact SUVs but not terribly so.

One of the driving factors for buying a car for me actually is the audio system...I am an audiophile and love listening to music in the car. Sounds like the CRV has a really solid audio system (Bose) with a subwoofer. The other drawback to the CX5 is the relative lack of cargo space. Decisions decisions.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:47 pm

"Waste of resources" was a traffic system complaint. One person in a minivan/truck is taking up 20 feet of interstate, roadway, parking spaces, etc. It was tongue in cheek, but if people drove what they actually needed there would be less congestion on the road. That complaint is more on point when talking about the trend of buying an F150 as a primary vehicle.

Minivans offer a ton of utility. They're goobermobiles, even the nice ones, but they'll haul a ton and they're comfortable. I'd take one over an SUV.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:48 pm

@Silentom

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:50 pm

:lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Minivans offer a ton of utility. They're goobermobiles, even the nice ones, but they'll haul a ton and they're comfortable. I'd take one over an SUV.
Truth be told, I just love the captain's chairs in the 2nd row :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:23 pm

I nickname the full sized third row seats the "Mother-in-law suite." She sat back there for our long trips to Canada, just out of earshot to critique my driving. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:12 pm

My wife gives me **** for always looking for an end spot wherever we park. Didn’t find one the other day, and the knuckledragger who parked next to me slammed their door into mine.

That’s why.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Unless one actually drives off road (which the vast majority of SUV owners never do), minivans make far more sense than an SUV. They offer more interior space and easier access, and they often get better fuel economy. The Odyssey has a great reputation, but you might also want to take a look at the Chrysler Pacifica. Car and Driver just put the Pacifica on its 10Best list for trucks, vans, and SUVs, and every review I've read has given it high marks and said that it feels a lot like a luxury car.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:26 pm

A minivan is basically your way of telling the world that you've checked out emotionally and are a dead husk of a man.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pm