Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:12 am

Isn’t the joke that Jeep means “just empty every pocket”?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:13 am

Yea, for aftermarket **** lol. YOu can spend thousands putting aftermarket parts on your jeep, but the engines are solid and the bodies are literally sheetmetal, lmao. Mostly everything on that vehicle can be unbolted and swapped. Bumpers specifically, that's probably one of the easiest things to replace.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:13 am

¡ɹǝʌO ǝW lloɹ

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:46 am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well my nuts are in a vice. I could dispute this through Turo itself but then I’m playing a random number generator game and the number they come up with might be higher

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:54 am

I know this will sound wacky coming from an attorney, but maybe just take responsibility for your actions and just pay the bill so they can get their Jeep fixed?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:55 am

Oh this was through Turo? Yea, I'd pay the cost to get it fixed and moved on. If it was like budget or random car rental, I'd complain, but that's someone's own car.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:00 am

I know this will sound wacky coming from an attorney, but maybe just take responsibility for your actions and just pay the bill so they can get their Jeep fixed?
lol I’m not questioning the cost because I’m not taking responsibility. I’m making sure I do my homework so I don’t get taken advantage of

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:08 am

You posted the number and several people told you that it was lower than what they've experienced.

My guess is you saw the one guy say "yeah, with a junkyard bumper and a mechanic friend you can have that done for $500 and six-pack of Schlitz" and you think that's what the going rate is for a professional to replace a bumper in another country because it aligns with your interests.

There might be a process or argument from a legal perspective that could win you a few hundred dollars if you're willing to put in the time and hassle, maybe. As a human being, I can't get past the idea that you borrowed somebody's car, wrecked it, and now want to bargain about their reasonable repair quote. I'm not the kind of guy that could do that.

I don't know how insurance works in Ireland but if they have to turn that in and have it repaired under insurance the diminished value alone is going to cost them thousands of dollars when they go to sell or trade it. I hope when you pay them they don't have to do that, though it may still show up on their version of CarFax anyway.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:11 am

Agree with dodint. I think that's a high quote, but the fact that this is someone's personal car changes it all for me. I would go great lengths to fix someone else's property that I inconvenienced them with.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:12 am

If it was my jeep, that's a prime opportunity to have a schmuck pay for my new aftermarket bumper for $700 lmao.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:14 am

I do feel for MiMH in one sense. The Jeep owner works at an autobody shop. They probably could've been cool and just charged him for parts. But that doesn't really change the damage number, just creates a circumstance that can be frustrating when you're unsure if you're being taken advantage of.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:18 am

The labor quote is the thing I have an issue with. I've changed 2 bumpers on my Jeep and I can barely use a wrench. Both times it took me far less than an hour. The only bad part is working in tight quarters and banging your knuckles. It's so ridiculously easy otherwise.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:28 am

That's actually I think the bumper being put on isn't an OEM one. I still can't find one for $700, and you can bang out those plastic bumpers relatively cheaply. That being said, take the loss, move on, and learn from it.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:28 am

You posted the number and several people told you that it was lower than what they've experienced.

My guess is you saw the one guy say "yeah, with a junkyard bumper and a mechanic friend you can have that done for $500 and six-pack of Schlitz" and you think that's what the going rate is for a professional to replace a bumper in another country because it aligns with your interests.

There might be a process or argument from a legal perspective that could win you a few hundred dollars if you're willing to put in the time and hassle, maybe. As a human being, I can't get past the idea that you borrowed somebody's car, wrecked it, and now want to bargain about their reasonable repair quote. I'm not the kind of guy that could do that.

I don't know how insurance works in Ireland but if they have to turn that in and have it repaired under insurance the diminished value alone is going to cost them thousands of dollars when they go to sell or trade it. I hope when you pay them they don't have to do that, though it may still show up on their version of CarFax anyway.
lol what? I already told the dude I was good with the quote. I’m not fighting it anymore. I just wanted to get a sense of it was realistic and the popular belief here is that it is. That’s all I was after

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:05 pm

If my catalytic converter gets stolen, is that covered by car insurance? I am concerned now that we are parking outside now.
Comprehensive I'd imagine.

If it does happen don't use an aftermarket, especially since IIRC you have a Honda. They really don't play well with the emissions systems.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:31 pm

I had one of my three cats replaced not too long ago, and the shop told me that while other manufacturers skyrocketed their prices, Honda has held them where they normally are.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:20 pm

@Faftorial

I know you're typically interested in what dealers are doing as far as mark-ups... in the past few days I've called quite a few places and the VWs in my area are doing MSRP. The one in Harrisburg is actually selling sub MSRP for some of their vehicles.

Kia in Altoona is sticking to a 10% mark-up for new vehicles. Even when I pressed and said that the one in State College is MSRP only, they told me that 80% of dealerships across the country are charging over MSRP currently.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:28 pm

Sounds like Kia of Altoona can get ****.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:32 pm

Yup... after I told them I won't be spending anything over MSRP they said "well, we can't waive the market adjustment charge, but maybe we can get you a little more for your trade in or some better financing". That's when I texted Kicksave and said "This is BS, right?" He confirmed. I have a sh*t trade in, and I have about as best credit he'll see come in all month. There's nothing he can do there for me to make up the 10% mark-up.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:47 pm

I saw a tik-tok of a mechanic walking around a dealership showing like 15+ KIA replacement engines. Had no idea they were that bad lol.

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/don ... eplacement

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:53 pm

Yup... lots of them just catching on fire. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:17 pm

Ouch. That’s the first I’ve heard of those issues.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:52 pm

All I've heard about their quality in recent years is that it's much improved and above average. This is a huge f**kup.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:02 pm

If Yinz were choosing between a 2022 Kia Sportage (15K miles), a 2021 Mazda CX30 (12K mi), a 2020 Honda HRV (22K mi), or a 2019 Toyota Rav 4 (30K miles), what would you choose? Price is within spitting distance on all 3.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:18 pm

I’m on my 3rd Mazda and have nothing bad to say about them, so I’m going with the CX-30.