Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:16 pm

Ah, you've solved a problem and had it replaced by two more problems. Yes, this is the way. :lol:

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:50 am

It's car shopping season (yay?). Time to upgrade from the Elantra, but I decided against a truck (they've gotten stupid big and expensive). I'm really eyeing a Subaru Crosstrek, but I'd have to get the Sport trim for the 2.5l engine. Not a bad thing, but wasn't really looking for anything with "sport" in the name.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:53 am

It's car shopping season (yay?). Time to upgrade from the Elantra, but I decided against a truck (they've gotten stupid big and expensive). I'm really eyeing a Subaru Crosstrek, but I'd have to get the Sport trim for the 2.5l engine. Not a bad thing, but wasn't really looking for anything with "sport" in the name.
We've only owned Subaru's for our last few cars.

Me: Forester, Forester, Crosstrek, Outback
Wife: Impreza, Crosstrek.

The Crosstrek is in a sweet spot for being able to haul alot of stuff but not be super huge. It's also like all Subaru's great in the snow and those types of conditions. My wife has a 24 Crosstrek Premium (with updated stuff like moon roof, heated seats etc) and it's been great. The eye sight technology is also great IMO.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:57 am

The Crosstrek is in a sweet spot for being able to haul alot of stuff but not be super huge. It's also like all Subaru's great in the snow and those types of conditions. My wife has a 24 Crosstrek Premium (with updated stuff like moon roof, heated seats etc) and it's been great. The eye sight technology is also great IMO.
The moon roof would be nice but I was hoping for remote start more than anything, since I park outside. But it looks like you have to have some kind of subscription? Lame.

My wife drives a Forester and we love it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:03 am

The moon roof would be nice but I was hoping for remote start more than anything, since I park outside. But it looks like you have to have some kind of subscription? Lame.

You can get remote start added on at a shop. Not recommending them, but Best Buy offers this service.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:03 am

We have remote start through the App. When we bought our cars our sales lady gave that subscription to us for that free for like 4 or 5 years (that included the remote start). We've bought our last 4 cars from her so maybe that is why, but worth asking.

We have a garage, but the remote start is nice in the summer or winter if you need to warm up or cool down the car while you are out.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 am

You can get remote start added on at a shop. Not recommending them, but Best Buy offers this service.
My wife said she would buy something like that for me if whatever I get doesn't come with one. FIL had one put in his truck, so I'll just go wherever he did, lol.
We have remote start through the App. When we bought our cars our sales lady gave that subscription to us for that free for like 4 or 5 years (that included the remote start). We've bought our last 4 cars from her so maybe that is why, but worth asking.

We have a garage, but the remote start is nice in the summer or winter if you need to warm up or cool down the car while you are out.
I'll probably end up using the app if it's free for a couple of years. No reason not to at that point.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:12 am

I'm pretty sure subaru offers normal remote start too with the key fob, but it probably just costs more to have them do it cause dealers suck haha.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:15 am

I'm surprised at how expensive OnStar is. It's like $30/mo for the top tier and $14/mo to get the bare essentials.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:25 am

I figured stuff like OnStar is redundant at this point with how far smart phones have come.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:31 am

It is. But to monitor my PHEV I have to buy the lowest tier. I just use Android Auto for everything else.

I can't even see the balance of my warranty without signing up for an OnStar trial. It's lame.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:35 am

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:35 am

You have a PHEV? Why is OnStar required?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:41 am

It's not "required", but if I want to view the real-time status of the vehicle in the app I need to subscribe to a lower OnStar tier. My wife drives it much more often than I do because she can do her commute (and about 15 miles more) completely on battery. So if I want to know any metrics or capacities I have to wait until she gets home. I wouldn't mind paying for that (remote start/preconditioning from the app is included in that tier) but $5.99 would be better than $14.99.

I can't add the car to my chevrolet.com online account or app, to view the warranty info, without signing up for an OnStar trial. I think that is bullshit.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:45 am

Yeah, that's some dogshit stuff right there. I bet they're expecting people to forget that they signed up for a trial just to capitalize on them.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:37 am

Shipped my camper down the road.

Time to make another poor financial decision and upgrade.

I got what I paid for it in 2021. Hard to beat that.
Got a note today from PNC that the Cashier's Check I accepted is taking longer to clear. They need to verify funds. f'n wonderful.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:49 am

We have a 2019 Crosstrek with all the bells and whistles. Sweet spot is the perfect way to describe it size-wise and performance-wise.

We pay it off here in a couple months and will make a decision on what to do with it. It's only got 30K miles on it, so a baby by Subaru standards. It's unreal to me that going to our dealership's website shows our model and trim is currently selling for about 3K less than we paid new...with about 15K more miles on it. Used car market is bananas.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:08 pm

Yeah, that's some dogshit stuff right there. I bet they're expecting people to forget that they signed up for a trial just to capitalize on them.
Just like everything else in the world nowadays #old

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:22 pm

I prefer the actual key fob starter. Mazda has no subscription for their app but for example right now the app's just got a circle rolling, and rolling, and rolling...... it was totally offline the other day.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:50 pm

Got a note today from PNC that the Cashier's Check I accepted is taking longer to clear. They need to verify funds. f'n wonderful.
Cashier's checks are guaranteed by the bank, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You know, unless the bank is Billy Bob Bank.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:01 pm

Cashier's checks are guaranteed by the bank, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You know, unless the bank is Billy Bob Bank.
Yeah, I'm not worried but still makes me uneasy. My buddy at pnc said if the issuing bank doesn't do electronic business with pnc they likely flagged it immediately. It's a smaller local bank in WV. But the bank does exist.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:34 pm

They had to call and verify a cashier's check from my parents' estate account despite it being a large regional bank. Literally a teller calling another teller and looking up the account balance.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:25 pm

I tried calling the bank myself (I looked up the number, not the one on the check, although they were the same) and they wouldn't verify it over the phone. I thought that was odd. I still have no suspicion I was scammed but until it's in my account I won't not go immediately to worst case scenario lol

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:32 pm

I thought the point of a cashier's check was it drew the funds immediately from the account and those funds have to be there.

What the hell is there to verify?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:49 pm

I thought so as well. Which is why Im just mildly concerned. But it sounds like this is PNC just doing crap things.