Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:25 am

My brother has a CX-5 and he's like 6'7" or something. But he has no kids. Probably the issue with Mork, can't squeeze a kid behind him

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:36 am

I still have my dignity, so I will never own a minivan, but there are plenty of larger SUVs to choose from.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:36 am

And since robbie mentioned them, the new Camry hybrid actually looks really solid overall, from styling to features. I'm surprised at how sporty they are now compared to the 90s and 00s models.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 am

And since robbie mentioned them, the new Camry hybrid actually looks really solid overall, from styling to features. I'm surprised at how sporty they are now compared to the 90s and 00s models.

So long as you go SE or XSE. The LE still looks like something my nearly 80 year old aunt would drive.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 am

Yeah, I think it's the XSE that I was looking at the other day.

Edit: Under $39k for a fully loaded XSE hybrid. Damn.
Last edited by NTP66 on Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:45 am

Almost bought one of those (ended up going with the SE) but every XSE on the lots I went to had bright red seats and I couldn't get over it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:46 am

Almost bought one of those (ended up going with the SE) but every XSE on the lots I went to had bright red seats and I couldn't get over it.
Oh yeah, that would be a deal breaker for me. The black on black looks really sharp, though I'd have a hard time picking black for the exterior myself.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:56 am

Mork, you and I are similar sizes... As far as space/roominess, my new Kia Sportage is incredible.

But yeah. Minivan makes sense.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:17 am

Yea, I won the lottery on my truck before covid, but I think I'm gonna get smoked here because we need a bigger car, like within the next 5 months before kid 2 comes. This POS CX-5 is just too small, and a second kid can't sit behind me.
How old is your first born? Are they ready to be forward facing?

That was a big eye opener for us when we were getting ready for #2. Realized that a rear facing car seat had no business being behind the driver's seat when I was driving. Couldn't even get comfortable in either of our sedans with the car seat rear facing on the passenger side.

It was "fun" shopping for cars with an empty car seat that we had to install every single time. Took a lot of effort but we've been happy with our choices. Of course, this was 2015 when the car market still made sense.

By the time we get our next cars, we'll most likely be down to 1 booster seat.
First born is 4.5 and will be 5 in November. He's in the front-facing side already. In my truck, he sits behind me, in my wife's CX-5 he sits behind my wife with the front seat up uncomfortably. It's just junk.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:19 am

Mork, you and I are similar sizes... As far as space/roominess, my new Kia Sportage is incredible.

Yea, we're looking at the Kia Carnival, mostly because it looks more like an SUV than the mini-van. One thing that I'm sold on the mini-van over SUV is the door slides.

We'll see. Right now it's swayed towards minivan.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:21 am

Yea, we're looking at the Kia Carnival, mostly because it looks more like an SUV than the mini-van. One thing that I'm sold on the mini-van over SUV is the door slides.

We'll see. Right now it's swayed towards minivan.
BIL and SIL have a Carnival. They have 4 kids they lug around. SIL always says its a minivan that doesn't look like a minivan haha. It seems nice though if you need that kind of room/space for kids and other things.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:22 am

Do they like it @skullman80 ?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:24 am

So far no complaints that I've heard. They got it summer-ish last year. I think they got the mid-tier model not the high end. No clue what they paid for it. I've never ridden in it, but for them and their kids it seems like it suits them well.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:26 am

So far no complaints that I've heard. They got it summer-ish last year. I think they got the mid-tier model not the high end. No clue what they paid for it. I've never ridden in it, but for them and their kids it seems like it suits them well.
Nice, thanks. Yea, it looks like we're gonna pay $45K new for that, which is more acceptable than the $60K for a Pacifica.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:29 am

Hmm.
Scores of Hyundai and Kia vehicles lack basic security features and should be recalled, as a growing number of thefts have created a "safety crisis" on roads across the U.S., a group of state attorneys general says.

A letter sent by the attorneys general of 17 states and the District of Columbia to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Thursday urges the federal government to intercede to prevent a national problem they say is continuing to accelerate.

"Thefts of these Hyundai and Kia vehicles have led to at least eight deaths, numerous injuries and property damage, and they have diverted significant police and emergency services resources from other priorities," the AGs wrote.

"We call on NHTSA to exercise its authority to order a mandatory recall or ensure Hyundai and Kia institute a voluntary recall."

According to the letter, a thief can easily hotwire certain Hyundai and Kia vehicles manufactured between 2011 and 2022 by removing the steering wheel column cover and turning the keyed ignition with a USB cable. These vehicles also lack engine immobilizers, which prevent a car from being started unless it receives an electronic signal from the key.

These particular vulnerabilities came into more widespread use since 2021 after a number of TikTok users posted videos of the technique to social media.

Federal regulators say about 3.8 million Hyundais and 4.5 million Kias are affected.

Thefts of Hyundai and Kia vehicles have exploded recently. Los Angeles saw an 85% increase in Hyundai and Kia thefts in 2022, while Minneapolis says it saw thefts of the two makes jump by 836% last year.

The perpetrators, who are often minors, drive recklessly and sometimes crash, the attorneys general said, and attending to both the thefts and the crashes diverts law enforcement and emergency response resources from other needs.

"Kia's and Hyundai's failure to install standard safety features on many of their vehicles have put vehicle owners at risk," California Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a tweet. "It is unacceptable that our communities should be forced to shoulder the cost of Kia's and Hyundai's failures."
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/23/11715202 ... t%20device.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:31 am

I mean, meh. I can't predict if someone is going to steal my car, lol.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:32 am

They're stretching the definition of 'safety' to try to get a mandated recall. Not likely to work.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:46 am

I think the big thing mentioned above was for those vehicles 2022 and older that didn't have push start. Basically anything that had a key ignition could be stolen really easily because it had no immobilizer in it. There were tik tok videos on it, and some insurance companies won't even insure those vehicles because of how easily they are stolen.

I believe they are doing a software update that is supposed to alleviate that issue, but it was a huge thing from what I read for a large number of vehicles Kia/Hyundai up until recently.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:47 am

Wasn't there also a recent report about certain vehicles being stolen by using the headlight somehow? I swear I read that.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:53 am

Took the car to the shop today since the A/C isn't working. Figured it just needed recharged. Of course, that wasn't the only thing they found:

A/C line is leaking, so needs replaced. To replace it, they need to get behind the motor. $300 plus parts

Radiator is leaking. Huge labor item to replace. Could cost anywhere from $700 to $1200

Going to have them patch the A/C instead, hoping to get through this summer. Was hoping this car would make it another 2 years, but come April next year when I'm due a big bonus, I think it's a goner. At least have to make it to November this year, as we are currently paying off a couple same as cash credit cards.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:02 am

Source of the post Radiator is leaking. Huge labor item to replace. Could cost anywhere from $700 to $1200
GTFO. Is the radiator hidden behind half a dozen body panels? I'd consider doing that one myself. I've done it in half of the cars I've owned, and it's not at all difficult. What kind of car is this?

In my own car trouble news, I think the alternator is dying on mine. Started up this morning to a really loud whine that matches the RPMs. Gonna have it replaced on Monday.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:24 am

Source of the post Radiator is leaking. Huge labor item to replace. Could cost anywhere from $700 to $1200
GTFO. Is the radiator hidden behind half a dozen body panels? I'd consider doing that one myself. I've done it in half of the cars I've owned, and it's not at all difficult. What kind of car is this?

In my own car trouble news, I think the alternator is dying on mine. Started up this morning to a really loud whine that matches the RPMs. Gonna have it replaced on Monday.
The mechanic was surprised too. I don't know what system they use to estimate, but initially he said 2 hours. Then called back and said 7-8. He told me he didn't think it would take that long, but basically the procedure was to remove the entire front end. It's a Chevy Traverse. I trust this guy, he's done some good work for me in the past. Even drove my car home for me a couple times.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:28 am

The mechanic was surprised too. I don't know what system they use to estimate, but initially he said 2 hours. Then called back and said 7-8. He told me he didn't think it would take that long, but basically the procedure was to remove the entire front end. It's a Chevy Traverse. I trust this guy, he's done some good work for me in the past. Even drove my car home for me a couple times.
Found a YT video on replacing the radiator on 09-17 Traverse's, and I was right - you have to remove the entire front clip. Stupid **** design from GM engineers.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:36 am

Found a YT video on replacing the radiator on 09-17 Traverse's, and I was right - you have to remove the entire front clip. Stupid **** design from GM engineers.
Watched it as well and while I could do it myself, my back would not be happy and I'd end up frustrated after breaking half of the plastic clips. Would probably take me the entire weekend to do. No thanks, I'll just buy some Vaseline and take it

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:43 am