Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:23 pm

I don't think it's all that difficult to add a electric motor to a car, and I know there are drop-in electric "crate motors" out there (I think Ford itself sells one). It's the batteries that are the big problem, both in terms of where to put them and how to add enough that your vehicle has any sort of significant range.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:01 pm

Anyone buy a car recently?

Got fed up with my CRV so decided to get a new car. Which was essentially the dealers being like, we don't have anything to sell you, do you want to get on the list?

So hopefully sometime in December I'll be the owner of a new Civic.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:06 pm

A friend of mine just bought a new AWD Kia Telluride, which I believed along with the Hyundai Palisade was tough to come by.

I'm seeing Civics out there on cars.com, but availability probably depends on the options you want.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:26 pm

Got fed up with my CRV so decided to get a new car. Which was essentially the dealers being like, we don't have anything to sell you, do you want to get on the list?

I put a deposit down on a 21 Camry back in August. It was built 2 weeks ago and should be in sometime next week (I think). The dealer gave the build sheet, I confirmed it had the options I wanted, and jumped on it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:31 pm

I put a deposit down on a 21 Camry back in August. It was built 2 weeks ago and should be in sometime next week (I think). The dealer gave the build sheet, I confirmed it had the options I wanted, and jumped on it.
Yeah, you probably did way more than me on your purchase. I got pissed off about having to take my car in to the shop so i submitted some true car inquiries through my work portal thing where we get discounts / reward points. South Hills Honda responded saturday saying that they had two 2022 civics going into production this week, put down 500 and I should get it by January at the latest.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Yeah yours was a lot easier. I also, prior to the deposit, visited Baierl Subaru to check out a Legacy Sport (sold about 20 minutes before I got there), went to North Hills Toyota to test drive a Camry (they didn't have what I was looking for), then went to Cochran Toyota out in Irwin to look at the car with the same specs I ended up getting, but that one literally sold as we walked in the door.

North Hills and Cochran tried their best to convince me to settle for less because "there's no inventory".

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:15 am

I've seen two separate GM cars today with Euro badges. One was a Volt with a Vauxhall badge, and the other was the new Buick wagon.

Did they start importing those, or did people just start randomly putting Euro badges on?
There's a Holden Commodore with Ohio plates that I've seen a few times on the parkway near Robinson. Not sure how they're getting around the 25 year import role, but it's definitely here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VF)

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:38 am

I've seen two separate GM cars today with Euro badges. One was a Volt with a Vauxhall badge, and the other was the new Buick wagon.

Did they start importing those, or did people just start randomly putting Euro badges on?
There's a Holden Commodore with Ohio plates that I've seen a few times on the parkway near Robinson. Not sure how they're getting around the 25 year import role, but it's definitely here.

Isn't the Chevrolet SS the same car? All you would need to do is replace the badges.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am

Pontiac G8 was the same car before the Chevy was.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Isn't the Chevrolet SS the same car? All you would need to do is replace the badges.
99% yes. Aside from the badges, I believe it had different tail lights.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:27 pm

99% yes. Aside from the badges, I believe it had different tail lights.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:12 pm

Those crazy Krauts are at it again:
Deutsche Umwelthilfe (DUH), a German environmental group, claims that Daimler Group has been deploying defeat devices in its engines to game emissions regulations.

The group has published a report, within which automotive software expert Felix Domke documents eight previously unknown defeat devices in a Mercedes-Benz Euro 6 E-Class diesel car on behalf of a US law firm. Domke has already worked as an expert for the German Federal Motor Vehicle and Transport Authority (KBA) on the independent analysis of software implementation with regard to illegal defeat devices. He also served as an expert witness at the parliamentary inquiry committee into the VW emissions scandal in 2017.
https://www.enginetechnologyinternation ... vices.html

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:25 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:42 pm

My mother in law has been making noises about trading her 2012 Camry in on a Rav4 or CRV. It would be a perfect car for our son, so we're trying to talk her into selling it to us.

The car has less than 25,000 miles on it. How is that even possible? She retired around when she bought it, and COVID has kept her home...but damn. :lol:

That would be a perfect car for my kid...he'd have that thing until he got married!

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:51 pm

Isn't she going to overpay for a new car in this market?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:52 pm

She should get a handsome price for that sweet trade in.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:55 pm

I've only driven a Camry once and it was 1999 v6 manual. It was that ugly beige color of the day:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:25 pm

My mother in law has been making noises about trading her 2012 Camry in on a Rav4 or CRV. It would be a perfect car for our son, so we're trying to talk her into selling it to us.

The car has less than 25,000 miles on it. How is that even possible? She retired around when she bought it, and COVID has kept her home...but damn. :lol:

That would be a perfect car for my kid...he'd have that thing until he got married!

My grandma drives a 2002 Cadillac El Dorado, bought new. I'm not sure she's broken 20,000 miles yet.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 pm

The latter. I considered putting BORA letters on my Jetta as that's it's European name.
I thought about Opel badges for the Regal GS when I first got it, but decided it wasn't worth what they wanted for them.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:17 pm

The latter. I considered putting BORA letters on my Jetta as that's it's European name.
I thought about Opel badges for the Regal GS when I first got it, but decided it wasn't worth what they wanted for them.
This is the extent of the badging:

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:21 am

I just changed the oil in my Moms kia sorrento (s/o to those engineers man that was the easiest oil change of my life) and saw she put 5200 miles on this year. I think I did more than double that and I've been WORKING FROM HOME

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:31 am

She should get a handsome price for that sweet trade in.
Yeah, the dealer said it's worth at least $14K for a trade-in. KBB has it private seller price of $16K or so.

@Faftorial she would have to get on the list for any new Toyota, I think. Very low inventory everywhere.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:36 am

I drive a 2003 Camry. Bought it 5 years ago and it had 60k on it. I have since put 80k on it. Still drives like it’s brand new. Doesn’t look it, though

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:47 pm

Based on the line around the rear window, it looks like the new Integra is going to be a hatchback. Color me mildly interested.

Source: https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/integra

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:16 pm

This has royally pissed off TL/Type-S owners because the Integra is now the only Acura that you can get a 6MT in. :lol: