Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:18 pm

Haven't new cars become relatively more cost effective with how used car sales have skyrocketed over the recent years? I've bought two used cars recently, and anytime I went to a dealership it was take it or leave it. No haggling, no fixing a broken cruise control, nothing.
When I buy a new car for the first time this summer, I plan on driving it until it is just about dead. In today's age, cars are very capable of getting to 200k miles without any major issues. I don't really feel guilty about dropping $30k or so on a brand new car that I will be driving for 10+ years. I get that buying a certified pre-owned car (vs. used) makes the most financial sense, but whatevs.

BTW, I am taking a hard look at the Honda CRV Touring Edition. I am really falling in love with the compact SUVs.
We were 52/48 between Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4 when we were shopping that category. Then we realized we wanted a 3rd row so looked at Pilots, Highlanders and Traverses. The captain's chairs on the Traverse are what sold us.

The warranty is nice to have for new cars as well. Not that you'd really use it, but if you are getting a first or second gen car, it's a must.

When I bought my first new car, I spent an unhealthy amount of time researching how to get the best deal. This was almost 15 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:20 pm

A couple months in on the odyssey and we give it a thumbs up. The extra space makes packing for trips much less of a Tetris game.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:31 pm

No keyless entry. I have to put my actual key into the actual door. :(
Dude my car doesn't have power locks or windows. Cry moar.
Yeah, it has a central locking unit so my wife has the opportunity to pull up on the handle too soon and **** up the sequence. Only happens about once every time we take it somewhere. Probably her way of asking me to demonstrate some chivalry and open her side first.

It does have power windows. No power steering or cruise control though.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Source of the post I don't really feel guilty about dropping $30k or so on a brand new car
You're going to max out your budget on a CR-V Touring.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm

No keyless entry. I have to put my actual key into the actual door. :(
Dude my car doesn't have power locks or windows. Cry moar.
Same, but it currently doesn't have doors on right now either lol.
Mine was free so I'm not all that mad. I'm guessing you have a Jeep?
Yea, but it has no keyless entry or power windows/locks. Basic of the basic.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Source of the post I don't really feel guilty about dropping $30k or so on a brand new car
Definitely won't max out the budget...we both do OK.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Haven't new cars become relatively more cost effective with how used car sales have skyrocketed over the recent years? I've bought two used cars recently, and anytime I went to a dealership it was take it or leave it. No haggling, no fixing a broken cruise control, nothing.
When I buy a new car for the first time this summer, I plan on driving it until it is just about dead. In today's age, cars are very capable of getting to 200k miles without any major issues. I don't really feel guilty about dropping $30k or so on a brand new car that I will be driving for 10+ years. I get that buying a certified pre-owned car (vs. used) makes the most financial sense, but whatevs.

BTW, I am taking a hard look at the Honda CRV Touring Edition. I am really falling in love with the compact SUVs.
I think people always use the argument that if you're buying new, you're taking the biggest financial hit off the lot as opposed to buying used. I bought my civic touring and Jeep new, because I'm driving them both into the ground, and I wanted the best I could get at the time.

I find that if I bought both new or used, I never have intentions of giving them up before they're not worth anything.So why comprimise on something like that and pay for someone elses miles, when I can just do mine? Either way the car I'm going to trade in is going to be worth about $1-3k.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:24 pm

MSRP is $32k and they won't be sold for that much, if you're buying the top of the line model it's about the same as the Mazda CX-5 we're looking at which is like $32.5.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:30 pm

MSRP is $32k and they won't be sold for that much, if you're buying the top of the line model it's about the same as the Mazda CX-5 we're looking at which is like $32.5.
Yeah, I meant that the CR-V Touring is around $32k MSRP, not that $30k was all you could afford. You can probably grab one for around $30k from the dealership.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:31 pm

My wife is getting the CX-5...we drove one to Canada and she really liked it.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:10 pm

My Wrangler is the only new vehicle I've ever purchased. The way they hold their value, I didn't see any sense in buying used. Of course, that was 5 years ago and the prices have gone up considerably since then and I probably couldn't afford/justify a new one now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:58 am

Car makers will have to eventually level out. Take shaf's recent inquiry about the CR-V Touring. There's no chance in hell I spend $32k on that, when it should really be in the mid-20s.

Or take Acura. The TL went from mid-30s to upper-40s in the span of one year.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:20 am

I looked at mid tier Pilots and Odysseys a few months ago, 2-3 years old, and the price difference between the used and new models were very small... Then you factor in the .9% APR that Honda frequently offers for new vehicles, and it's not much of a decision.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:23 am

Warranties are generally longer on new vehicles, as well.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Mrs K had a low tire pressure warning on the CX-7 yesterday. She went after work to GetGo to fill them up and called me in a panic. The right rear went totally flat as she tried to fill it up, and she said it seemed like it was too far back into the wheel. I'm thinking WTF is she talking about. Half hour later I get there to discover the stupid f*ing metal valve stem broke in half - apparently a common issue. Put the donut on and took it up to the tire shop. They wanted $80 for a sensor/stem to fix it, but then I'd still have one new and three old half corroded metal stems. No thanks. Had them put a regular rubber stem in and just ordered a set of four sensors and a set of matching rubber stems online for $120 total. I'll get them installed next week.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:18 pm

lol, my shop wanted something crazy for a new TPMS sensor. Bought it online from an Acura dealership for less than half the cost, and he wouldn’t believe me until I showed him the receipt.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:44 pm

What causes AC to blow fog in humid conditions?

Bad condenser or something I'm assuming?

My AC works when under 70 degrees outside, but blows nothing but hot air at higher Temps. I charged it last week, so it has (had) freon.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 am

...now every single HVAC component on the car will be brand new when I get it back Friday. Combine that with the ceramic tint going on it Saturday and I should be able to hang sides of beef in there.
I'm happy to plug Blackout Tinting in Latrobe. They do some really high end work, lots of the Steelers get their stuff done there during camp. I've used them on the MINI and just recently with the DMC. The aggressively curved rear window gave them hell but they got the work done on time and on budget. They're moving from their small location over to a bigger building on 981 near Subway (the old Napa store). They're having a supercar show on August 4th and I'm loaning the car to them for that. It will pale next to the Lambos and AMGs, but whatever, it's fun.

Recent post from them about the job: https://www.facebook.com/BlackoutTintin ... 5181614527

Ceramic tint is the real deal, too. Had it in triple digit temps last weekend in KY and you could hold your hand to the glass and not feel the heat. I want to do some research and see if ceramic tint effectiveness is related to how dark the tint is. If it's not I'm going to have them tint the windshield a very light shade. I wish I could get it for my daily driver but that's a track car and I need people to be able to see into it on track.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Had a new Buick Verano as my rental on vacation. I hope your Regal is significantly better quality, @Willie Kool , because that rental was a huge piece of ****, inside and out.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:25 am

So we drove the Cherokee - for the price and lack of options, I think it forced my agreement with my wife that the CX-5 is better for her. For under $30k and you get all the bells and whistles, I don't see a better choice atm.

We're test driving it again tonight and see where her mind is at.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:19 pm

That's what I like so much about my Mazda. I have the grand poobah version of the 3, with all the options, and it cost $24k. The value for dollar is tops.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Had a new Buick Verano as my rental on vacation. I hope your Regal is significantly better quality, @Willie Kool , because that rental was a huge piece of ****, inside and out.
:lol:

Yeah, a fleet Verano would have sold for less than half the cost of a loaded GS AWD. I say sold for instead of sells for because they are now discontinued in the US.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 am

That's what I like so much about my Mazda. I have the grand poobah version of the 3, with all the options, and it cost $24k. The value for dollar is tops.
My only true frustration with it is the fact that for the price, the touring we're looking at is like $28K and Mazda doesn't offer a remote start system built into their car. You have to have put one on. What in the effing hell is that? All cars offer the option that I've seen in that range with the exception of that one.

Had the wife drive the CR-V last night too, she's now kind of torn but ultimately I think she chooses the Mazda.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 am

We went into a Honda dealership last summer looking to buy a CR-V, but ended up with an Accord. The CR-V had some weird blindspots that we didn't like, but I would've bet money my wife was going to leave the lot with one. We had a 2005 that we loved, but needed something bigger.

The Accord has 5400 miles on in just under a year. We haven't changed the oil in it yet. That three minute commute doesn't rack up the miles. :lol: #smalltownliving

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Mrs Tif drove a CR-V for two years. Utterly unremarkable and largely non-enjoyable, imo.