Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

offsides

Postby offsides » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:24 pm

Did you use the retro looking head unit?

My FILs nova has one and we can't figure out how to use it
Is this question for me? Not sure what you are asking. I bought a Laguna Retro Sound radio. I had to attach the front to the radio for installation. It fit nicely in the dash and sounds a lot better then what was in it.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/prod ... 2868508110

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05 am

Did you use the retro looking head unit?

My FILs nova has one and we can't figure out how to use it
Is this question for me? Not sure what you are asking. I bought a Laguna Retro Sound radio. I had to attach the front to the radio for installation. It fit nicely in the dash and sounds a lot better then what was in it.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/prod ... 2868508110
Yes. I didnt know that was what the radio is called. My FIL's Nova has the head unit in it and we can't figure out how to use it. he downloaded the manual to try and figure it out haha.

offsides

Postby offsides » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 am

Yes. I didnt know that was what the radio is called. My FIL's Nova has the head unit in it and we can't figure out how to use it. he downloaded the manual to try and figure it out haha.
Yep the manual is definitely a necessary evil with these radios. Fairly complicated knob usage. Not at all like 55 year old original stuff.

offsides

Postby offsides » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:11 pm

Dodge has introduced the most powerful SUV in the world.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/f ... rt-hellcat

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:13 pm

That's dumb.

offsides

Postby offsides » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:14 pm

That's dumb.
And only for one year.

Durango SRT Hellcat will only be offered in 2021, because it can't meet the next stage of emissions requirements coming in 2022

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Vroom vroom partystarters

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:07 pm

So this happened today.

I went from a black 2017 Outback to... a black 2020 Outback. This one is a little nicer since it's the Onyx edition. Slight bump in HP, from 180 to 255. Gas mileage is rated better by 3 mpg. Bigger screen, and more safety stuff that my middle of the road package didn't have. There's supposedly wifi service in there, but I haven't done enough digging to figure that part out yet. Thanks to some low 1.99 financing and my insurance dropping almost $16/mo, everything ended up basically washing out and my payment didn't move much at all.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 pm

That's sharp.

I think we're Pilot hunting next week.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:12 pm

That's really nice.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:39 pm

So this happened today.

I went from a black 2017 Outback to... a black 2020 Outback. This one is a little nicer since it's the Onyx edition. Slight bump in HP, from 180 to 255. Gas mileage is rated better by 3 mpg. Bigger screen, and more safety stuff that my middle of the road package didn't have. There's supposedly wifi service in there, but I haven't done enough digging to figure that part out yet. Thanks to some low 1.99 financing and my insurance dropping almost $16/mo, everything ended up basically washing out and my payment didn't move much at all.
Not gonna lie, spent a few minutes looking for the damage before moving onto the writing after the photo. :lol:

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:52 pm

to be fair, I may have prefaced the "f*** the police" carving that happened to the last car with "so this happened today."

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:26 am

I’m watching a ***** Rides episode right now where a guy is having his brand new Audi A8 Spyder customized with undercarriage led lighting, BYU graphics, and BYU etching in the headrests. People like this need to be stopped.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:53 am

Bought a 2020 Pilot yesterday. The transaction wasn't as smooth as our previous car purchase in 2017, but we knew going in our trade-in wouldn't be worth much. They started with $1500 for our 2008 Odyssey, which was below KBB value. That's a first. When we were finished, they gave us $4500 for it (well above value) plus every incentive available (Honda loyalty, first responder, college) even though we didn't qualify for any of them. .9% financing, which is really low for Honda Financing. 3 years of free maintenance (not useful, as we live an hour plus away) and a lifetime powertrain warranty was thrown in as well.

The dealership was basically deserted, only 1-2 other customers there while we were there. The city we were in has a mask ordinance, so we wore masks the whole time...as did the poor salesman who had to "train" me on the new electronics. He was having trouble breathing out in the humidity while going through the dozens of options/settings in the car.

Coming from a 12 year old car, the electronics on this car are a bit ridiculous. Cameras, lane assist, assisted cruise control, and on and on. Remote start, and keyless entry with a fob (no keys!) It locks when I walk away from the car, and I even have heated seats! :lol:

Android Auto is going to be awesome, but I didn't have the right USB cable for my Pixel 3 to hook into the car's computer.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:56 am

So I bought a truck the Saturday before the world shut down. I still haven't received my vehicle registration from the state. Starting to get worried.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:22 pm

So this happened today.

Not gonna lie, spent a few minutes looking for the damage before moving onto the writing after the photo. :lol:
Same :lol: I thought he drove into the garage.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:24 pm

Bought a 2020 Pilot yesterday. The transaction wasn't as smooth as our previous car purchase in 2017, but we knew going in our trade-in wouldn't be worth much. They started with $1500 for our 2008 Odyssey, which was below KBB value. That's a first. When we were finished, they gave us $4500 for it (well above value) plus every incentive available (Honda loyalty, first responder, college) even though we didn't qualify for any of them. .9% financing, which is really low for Honda Financing. 3 years of free maintenance (not useful, as we live an hour plus away) and a lifetime powertrain warranty was thrown in as well.

The dealership was basically deserted, only 1-2 other customers there while we were there. The city we were in has a mask ordinance, so we wore masks the whole time...as did the poor salesman who had to "train" me on the new electronics. He was having trouble breathing out in the humidity while going through the dozens of options/settings in the car.

Coming from a 12 year old car, the electronics on this car are a bit ridiculous. Cameras, lane assist, assisted cruise control, and on and on. Remote start, and keyless entry with a fob (no keys!) It locks when I walk away from the car, and I even have heated seats! :lol:

Android Auto is going to be awesome, but I didn't have the right USB cable for my Pixel 3 to hook into the car's computer.
Team Honda FTW! Still loving my Odyssey, and yes Android Auto is awesome. The Waze/Google Maps/Spotify/Pandora integration on the big screen is fantastic.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 pm

Assisted cruise might be my new favorite thing. I had mine set for 1.5 lengths when I drove back home this weekend and I didn't have to touch my gas or brake for almost half an hour on 22. Of course I kept my foot ready just in case, but the adaptive cruise makes driving almost a little too comfortable.

I turned my lane assist partially off. It beeps when I leave the lane, but I don't know how I feel about it automatically throwing me back in the lane.

I don't know if your Android Auto is set up like this - I'm thinking it's Subaru being overly safe, as they tend to do - but I have to be in park, activate my parking brake (something I may have done less than a handful of times in my last Outback) and then plug the cable in for Android Auto to activate.

Speaking of Subaru being overly safe, the one thing I don't like in my car is how Subaru dictates that you will put your seatbelt on. Before they would let you drive and the chime would go away after 5 minutes. With the last Outback that I had, the chime would never stop. With this car, not only does the chime not stop, but they drop the radio to an almost inaudible level and keep the chime going. I mean I'm generally good with throwing my belt on, but I'll admit I'm guilty of not throwing the belt on if I'm driving somewhere that is close. Post office down the road from me, maybe across the town center for lunch... yeah, I rarely ever put my belt on. Looks like that is gonna change.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:30 pm

All it took was one accident for me where I’d likely have gone through the windshield had I not been wearing a seatbelt to reinforce the fact that I will never drive without wearing one. Still wound up with titanium rods in my arm for months after that one.
Last edited by NTP66 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:30 pm

So this happened today.

Well... funny you should say that. :lol:

Actually it was just a bumper tap, but it was enough that the door noticeably moved. I have a front camera on there and wanted to see how close I could get to it. As you can tell, what passes for my driveway isn't very long so I need to park as close to the garage as possible so the other four people that share the alley don't hate me.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:32 pm

So this happened today.

Well... funny you should say that. :lol:

Actually it was just a bumper tap, but it was enough that the door noticeably moved. I have a front camera on there and wanted to see how close I could get to it. As you can tell, what passes for my driveway isn't very long so I need to park as close to the garage as possible so the other four people that share the alley don't hate me.
I’m surprised that you don’t have a tennis ball hanging from a rope under the deck assisting you.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:08 pm

All it took was one accident for me where I’d likely have gone through the windshield had I not been wearing a seatbelt to reinforce the fact that I will never drive without wearing one. Still wound up with titanium rods in my arm for months after that one.
That's the thing about it: I know I'm guilty of riding without one at times, I tell myself to get in the habit of throwing it on, yet if I'm going down the road, I still have that attitude of "it's only down the road, across the way, etc." Not saying it's right, but it's something I know I need to be better about. As Mike Tomlin would say, "the arrow is pointing up."

If I were to put it on a scale from 1 to 100 with 100 being that I always wear it and 1 being never, I'm probably like a 95. That is a lot better than where it used to be.

offsides

Postby offsides » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Assisted cruise might be my new favorite thing. I had mine set for 1.5 lengths when I drove back home this weekend and I didn't have to touch my gas or brake for almost half an hour on 22. Of course I kept my foot ready just in case, but the adaptive cruise makes driving almost a little too comfortable.
Self driving (electric) cars are on the way. Most people want to play with their phone, not drive. They will also be much safer than some drivers I see now. Being my age bracket I may appreciate them some day soon to get me places. But right now I want to manually drive and shift gears, lean into sharp corners and chirp the tires once in a while. Future generations will laugh at us for actually driving a gasoline powered car.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:59 pm

But right now I want to manually drive and shift gears, lean into sharp corners and chirp the tires once in a while.
That's what my miata is for. Originally it was supposed to be the car that I was gonna take to work since it had a few dents/dings and faded paint when I bought it.

For everything that the new Subaru has, the Miata is the exact opposite. Power windows (barely), power steering and brakes, and not much else. But for as basic as this car is, it is still fun to drive on the back roads.

offsides

Postby offsides » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:01 pm

But right now I want to manually drive and shift gears, lean into sharp corners and chirp the tires once in a while.
That's what my miata is for. Originally it was supposed to be the car that I was gonna take to work since it had a few dents/dings and faded paint when I bought it.

For everything that the new Subaru has, the Miata is the exact opposite. Power windows (barely), power steering and brakes, and not much else. But for as basic as this car is, it is still fun to drive on the back roads.
You have a Miata? Me too. A 1991 and one owner, me. Been looking at the new Fiat 124. Even my wife likes them. I had a 1966 and 1972 Fiat 124. Nice driving cars but rusted badly.