Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

There are some awfully defensive people here.

Not sure where the anger is coming from.
Right? I"m picturing NTP66 in traffic, peering into the car next to them just to make sure "that mother **** isn't one of those ***** driving with three pedals." :lol:

Couldn't you just flip this to "Shyster sits in traffic, peering into the car next to them just to make sure 'that mother **** isn't one of those ***** driving with an automatic'" lol

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

Manuals are fun, still have one - but miss me with that traffic driving. Sure it's second nature, but some days I just want to sit there without up and down shifting constantly.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

I don't even hate driving a stick. I can do it, and learned doing it on a big ass tractor with my grandfather when I was young. I just don't get enjoyment out of it especially with all the psychos on the road these days.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

The first car I ever purchased was a 5-speed, and I learned how to drive stick on the way home - from Lancaster to Philly. I enjoyed it for a while, but it got old sitting in traffic, and now I just don't want to deal with it. I don't care that others enjoy it - awesome. Faf's annoyance on the topic is the issue. The YoU aReN'T rEaLlY dRiViNg thing is just **** stupid.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

Will also jump into the fray, learned on a stick and only ever owned a stick, though that will probably have to change whenever I need to get another car. I enjoy the mechanics of it and I feel a bit more engaged and focus while on the road compared to when I drive traditional automatic. I'm sure if I had a shitty daily commute my tune would change. For a while sticks were also slightly cheaper and more fuel-efficient, though that's probably changed now.
The proliferation of paddle shifters doesn't make the death of a stick as big of a deal, though I at least feel 1% safer that my car won't get jacked.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

The first car I ever purchased was a 5-speed, and I learned how to drive stick on the way home - from Lancaster to Philly. I enjoyed it for a while, but it got old sitting in traffic, and now I just don't want to deal with it. I don't care that others enjoy it - awesome. Faf's annoyance on the topic is the issue. The YoU aReN'T rEaLlY dRiViNg thing is just **** stupid.
While I agreed with the sentiment, Shyster said that not me.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

I'd rather drive an automatic with a big vagina decal on the hood than a manual.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

I love a stick in the right car. I had an F150 with one and that was just annoying. Mini Cooper, BMW, even my wife's old MazdaSpeed were much more enjoyable with one though.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

Those of you with kids that aren't driving yet might want to consider that it's way, way harder to text or TikTok and drive when driving requires using both hands to steer and shift.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

That just means is more dangerous, not that they'll stop :lol:

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:09 am

Anyone have cross bars on their vehicle? I have 23 kia telluride ex with flush roof rails and want to get crossbars for some type of luggage rack and have zero idea how to go about this. Anyone have suggestions of a brand to look for? Is this something I can do or should go through the dealer or car shop? Any help would be very appreciated

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:21 am

I have them on my Saab wagon, and had them on the MINI. In both cases I went with factory options for mounting so it was pretty straightforward. The Saab ones I found on eBay or something.

Obligatory:

The Volt doesn't have the built in mount receivers so we decided not to even bother because everything available was pressure set and the stuff we want to carry is too big.

Have you looked at something like this? https://kiastuff.com/categories/shop-by ... ments.html

You can also go to someplace like Thule.com and search their compatibility catalog, they have a bunch for your model but won't let me link to the search results: https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rack/car-roof-racks

Seems like all your options are pretty pricey. Once you find something you like check eBay and see if they have some gently used out there.

*edit* The ones in the video below are much better priced at $152. The Thule and Kia stuff is like $500. https://omacshop.com/collections/tellur ... -2020-2021
Last edited by dodint on Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:27 am

Oh, to answer your last question, you should be able to mount these yourself. They'll connect to factory mount points so it's just a matter of lining up the bolt holes and putting the fasteners in. You might have to peel back some trim.

There are a BUNCH of Youtube videos out there showing how to do it at home, watch a few to get an idea. All brands will be about the same because they're using the factory mount points:

(I think 2020-present all have the same design, so don't worry about the model years in the title, the overall concept is the same and you can look up an install video for whatever rack you end up with later.)

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am

Thanks, I have not checked anywhere and was not sure if there were certain brands to check out. This is a good starting point

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:44 pm

Bringing my wife's '22 Accord in for service at the dealership on Thursday. I got a text this morning from someone in sales from the dealership wondering if we'd be willing to trade our '22 in for a '24. We already get weekly mail solicitations from the dealer we purchased it from to do the same.

Is this happening with other brands? Or is this a Honda thing?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:01 pm

I feel like that is normal for all dealers these days. They want to take your trade in cause its worth so much then get you into another brand new 5 or 6 year loan on a new car that is price inflated haha.

I'm taking my Subaru in saturday for its first inspection since I got it last year and I almost expect to get a similar text. I know our personal sales lady won't do that because she knows we aren't trading in 12 months in, but a generic one I'm sure will come through sooner than later.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:31 pm

Yeah this is everywhere. I don't want more than one car loan at a time and just took one out for my new CX-50 so it'll be a while.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:34 pm

personal sales lady made me laugh.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:35 pm

personal sales lady made me laugh.
We've bought our last 4 cars from the same lady at the same dealer...wouldn't buy from anyone else there haha. That is why I said personal sales lady. She does call us on our birthdays though haha.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:06 pm

A guy I bought a random used car off in 2013 still wishes me a happy birthday every year via email

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:02 pm

Who has two thumbs and after leaving his sisters wedding and putting his sleeping daughter into her car seat put the key fob on top of the car and drove off, heard something (key fob) fall off the car and thought “huh… a branch must have hit my roof”…

This guy.

The house key and mailbox key was on it too. Awesome.

Luckily I have a second fob. Still sucks.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:04 pm

oof

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:08 am

So does the car stop when the fob is too far away to pickup?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:42 am

So does the car stop when the fob is too far away to pickup?
With it being on the roof, I guess the car thought the fob was in the car so it drove. Once it fell off, nothing happened until I put it in park. Then it yelled at me that the key wasn’t in the car.

Had I stopped somewhere on the way home, we would have been stranded.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:43 am

Fobs ain’t cheap