Postby AuthorTony » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:00 pm

Keep the Jeep.
Oh yeah, the Jeep's not going anywhere.

NTP66

Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:42 am

Keep the Jeep.
Oh yeah, the Jeep's not going anywhere.
Because it literally can't go anywhere right now...?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:44 am

see, that’s the thing. I **** loathe jeep people. I don’t want to become one of them
Well f**k you too.
are you proud to own a “jeep”? do you do the dumb ass thumb and pink wave thing to other jeep owners?

then yes, I loathe you
2 finger steering wheel wave here, and that's about the most annoying Jeep owner thing I do. Hell, I drive it once every month at this point.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:47 am

What about the rubber duck thing that Jeep owners do? I started noticing dashboards of Wranglers and Gladiators covered in rubber ducks. I thought it was the same person I passed every day, but then I started noticing them everywhere.
Last week Taunton resident Zandra Dumas and her husband walked out to their Jeep they had parked in a downtown Taunton parking lot to find a fun little surprise — a little rubber duck with a Jeep grill drawn in permanent marker on the front in the driver's seat. They looked around for some kind of explanation, but the words "you got ducked" were their only clue.

So they returned home and started Googling the phenomenon, only to find out that "ducking Jeeps" is the latest craze to hit the tight-knit Jeep community. The concept is very simple: Jeep owners buy some mini rubber ducks, write some messages or drawings on them and leave them on or in other Jeeps — just to make other Jeep owners smile.

The trend seems to be taking off rapidly, with tens of active Facebook groups devoted to Jeep ducking in particular states and regions created in just the last month. There have also been countless Twitter and Instagram posts created showing "ducked" Jeeps and people out "ducking" posted under #duckduckjeep in the last month.

Once "ducked," if the "duckee" wishes, they can take up the cause of spreading a little joy to other Jeep drivers. And that's exactly what Dumas and her husband decided to do.

"We went to Party City and we went to Walmart and bought a bunch of ducks and then we sat down with Sharpies and wrote on them and then we went out duckin'!" she said.
https://www.tauntongazette.com/story/sp ... 114540568/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:51 am

I do not do that lol. My jeep isn't out in the open enough to even get one. I think the duck think is mega stupid.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:14 pm

Land Rovers/Range Rovers are ugly as hell

there, I said it

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:43 pm

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:44 pm

Would the average "non car" person be able to tell the difference between a de-badged Defender and a new Bronco?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:58 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:13 pm

Average? Maybe not, but the grill design is a dead giveaway.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:19 am

It's time for an oil change etc. for the Pilot.

The Honda maintenance code is elaborate: A1237

A is the synthetic oil and filter change
1 tire rotation
2 replace cabin and engine air filter
3 Replace transmission fluid
7 Replace brake fluid

No issues with the first two. I replaced the air filters back about 4000 miles ago.

I vaguely remember changing the transmission fluid at 50K miles for the Odyssey. I don't think I've ever changed brake fluid in any car I've ever owned (and I had two over 100K miles) Is either of these services needed on a car with 30K miles? It seems wasteful tbh.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:28 am

1 tire rotation
7 Replace brake fluid

No issues with the first two. I replaced the air filters back about 4000 miles ago.

I vaguely remember changing the transmission fluid at 50K miles for the Odyssey. I don't think I've ever changed brake fluid in any car I've ever owned (and I had two over 100K miles) Is either of these services needed on a car with 30K miles? It seems wasteful tbh.
I've never seen a mileage requirement for brake fluid changes, but the tranny fluid change makes no sense to me. 30k miles is very early. On my TL-S, the first change is at 60k miles, then every 30k miles.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:03 am

Brake fluid is hygroscopic. Even in a closed system, it will absorb water and eventually lead to a softer pedal feel and eventual intermittent brake issues. Mileage isn't a very good indicator for this as it's more of a concern relative to age.

For track cars we change the brake fluid between each event, but that's more because we boil and burn it.

The bleeding itself is not a difficult procedure. However, many cars share the blake fluid with other systems and items like ABS pumps may hold brake fluid that is impossible to evacuate from the system without having an electronic tool to cycle the pumps during the bleeding process. But bleeding that brake fluid that you can access is better than not doing it at all.

scb147

Postby scb147 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:14 am

1 tire rotation
7 Replace brake fluid

I've never seen a mileage requirement for brake fluid changes, but the tranny fluid change makes no sense to me. 30k miles is very early. On my TL-S, the first change is at 60k miles, then every 30k miles.
Honda just says to replace brake fluid every 3 years, at least that's what is in my Civic owner's manual. I don't know if they have changed that suggestion over the last 10 years though.

I believe for the Honda CVT transmissions, they recommend 30k replacement for the fluid. I have the 5-speed automatic, last year they had them in Civics, so I am not 100% on that.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:31 am

Brake fluid is hygroscopic. Even in a closed system, it will absorb water and eventually lead to a softer pedal feel and eventual intermittent brake issues. Mileage isn't a very good indicator for this as it's more of a concern relative to age.

For track cars we change the brake fluid between each event, but that's more because we boil and burn it.

The bleeding itself is not a difficult procedure. However, many cars share the blake fluid with other systems and items like ABS pumps may hold brake fluid that is impossible to evacuate from the system without having an electronic tool to cycle the pumps during the bleeding process. But bleeding that brake fluid that you can access is better than not doing it at all.
Even in a closed system, any fluid will eventually break down and need replaced. Heat, contaminants, water...nothing will last forever.

Question about the water though - how is that getting into a closed system? Sure, you first assemble the car and fill the reservoir with humidity in the air, so you'll have some residual water. But how else are you drawing in more water? Just curious.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:52 am

My assumption is that there is water condensation in the brake fluid reservoir. Temps vary a lot in an engine bay so that air is constantly cycled from below freezing to probably 120F depending on the time of year. That pocket of air is not very big, but the amount of brake fluid in the system is also very small.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:58 am

Unless you are constantly opening the cap or if the cap isn't sealed, I can't see that much water vapor getting in there. But I'm guessing you've actually seen water in the brake fluid so it's getting in there somehow. Would put closed loop in quotes, though ;)

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 pm

It's probably my BMW showing but I put zero faith in plastic components in the engine bay. ;)

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Could be that the fluid is absorbing water in its drum before being filled in the car. Depends how attracted the molecules are to water. Some fluids are like that

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:58 pm

Hmmmm.... with the signing of the inflation reduction act the car I was looking to purchase is no longer eligible for any federal tax rebates. So now I'm rethinking what I'm going to purchase. Awesome.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:59 pm

Is it priced out now? I swear the new bill applies to cars $55k and below.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:02 pm

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:04 pm

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:11 pm

Is it priced out now? I swear the new bill applies to cars $55k and below.
80K for trucks and SUV's.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:13 pm

I guess I forget which EV you were looking at. I recall you mentioning multiple ones in the past.