What's the current Pitt (Panthers) logo?

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:19 am

My 2-year old daughter always loved the "panther head" on my old T-shirts ("panther" was actually one of the first animals she could name :) ), so I decided to buy her a Pitt Panther T-shirt of her own. But, when I checked both The Pitt Shop and the official Pitt Panthers shop websites, the only T-shirts I could see are those with "Pitt" script.

Now, I bet I will be able to buy some old style gear on Fanatics, Fans Edge, etc. - but did the university indeed kill the animal logo? When did that happen?

And, BTW, what are the official Pitt colors now? (I always thought dark blue + gold, but half of the gear I saw was light blue + yellow.)

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:20 am

Judging by their uniforms...who knows.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:19 am

I think the Dinocat is still the logo. The networks all still use it on their graphics packages.

Barnes is j ust trying to do away with all the Steve Pedersen era changes - the Dinocat, the block lettering P I T T, empty stadiums after Sweet Caroline, etc.

The universities colors were always navy and a dark golden yellow. They just wore the royal and mustard for athletics, along with the script starting in the 70s.

One of the rumors from the Pedersen era is that he wanted nothing to do with the script because it was (allegedly) owned by the university general trust, not the athletic department (which seems a bit odd to me since it was designed solely for the football helmets). He made no money selling script merchandise, but kept most everything with one of his other ugly logos.

This year is the first full year of having all teams wear the script logo again. The football team stuck it on their helmets last year, but they waited for the new uniforms this season before rolling it out all over campus (and the merchandise).

From all that games I saw this year the royal and mustard script Nike shirt with stripped sleeves has to be the most popular item. My fiance bought one. I found a nice hat at the Nike store in Washington.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:16 pm

I probably should have googled "pitt panthers logo history" before posting, but it indeed looks like the animal head is no longer the alternate logo:
http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_b ... _Panthers/

I actually like the "Dinocat" (incidentally, the above post was the first time I have ever heard that nickname - which pretty much shows how dedicated alumnus I am... :? )

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 pm

The Dinocat is awful Tomas

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:39 pm

the dinocat is an artistic masterpiece compared to the otter logo