Tablets and computers

cadams

Tablets and computers

Postby cadams » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:54 am

Nexus 6 is even bigger than the Note 4.

DigitalGypsy66

Tablets and computers

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 am

Source of the post Nexus 6 is even bigger than the Note 4.
Yeah, after I posted that I looked at the measurements...it's a half-inch wider and an inch plus taller than my S3 (with it's case on). That's probably a no go for me. I'd have to see one in person to make that determination.

cadams

Tablets and computers

Postby cadams » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:27 am

Source of the post Nexus 6 is even bigger than the Note 4.
Yeah, after I posted that I looked at the measurements...it's a half-inch wider and an inch plus taller than my S3 (with it's case on). That's probably a no go for me. I'd have to see one in person to make that determination.
The Moto X might be the best Android phone out there. Motorola will let you customize and finance with no interest over two years when you buy direct from them. They pretty much use stock Android (still would use the Google Now Laucnher though) with a few custom apps installed.At a 5.2" screen it hit's probably the seet spot of size, can be used by most with one hand.

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:15 pm

tif, I played with your tablet today. It's fast, screen looks great, works very well. But I have two issues with it. It's Android. I prefer Windows. I swap files between that and my PC easily. Second, the sound is bad. I usually test on 2 loudly produced metal CDs off youtube. I got the volume up to 70% and it began distorting. It's loud, but badly distorted. The tablet is really thin, thinner than a Winbook. Probably no room to put in better speakers. Not that sound on Winbook 10.1 is great. It's OK, but that also needs a separate speaker. Sound on Winbooks 7 and 8 inch - which I use - is great (considering we're talking about tablets), however. No distortion and loud. I can put music on and actually enjoy it.

Do you (or anyone here) use a separate speaker when listening to audio on a phone or tablet? I have a friend who wants a cheap $30-50 dollar bluetooth speaker for her 10.1 Winbook. There are so many of these things around, it's pretty confusing and who knows which ones actually sound good. I'd probably grab one myself just for the hell.
To a point, speaker quality in a portable device really isn't an issue for me. If I'm doing any critical listening, it's with headphones, through a dock, or Chromecasting to the TV. Now that I think of it, I have the physical volume on the tablet (and my phone) on mute at all times.
I understand people feel that way and that's fine, but I feel it's been a very neglected issue in the phone/tablet industry for too long. There is no reason why these companies can't put good sounding speakers in. I mean, some of the stuff on the market literally farts in your face at half volume. My tablet sounds excellent. It's thicker than yours, little slower, but, man, it's fun to just put it down and enjoy youtube or netflix or a song on it. HTC One M8 Harman Kardon Edition cell phone sounds excellent. It's truly possible... these companies just don't want to bother and I think it's a disservice to the customer. Just my opinion.

Anyway, since I last mentioned it... I went on a testing spree for a portable bluetooth speaker. I've tried (in person) anything I could get my hands on, going to stores and people's houses. First started looking at the cheap stuff, thinking I'd just use it sparingly since I have a full stereo rack with floor speakers and all that. But the more I looked into it, the price target went from $30 to whatever. Tried all I could up to $700, even bought a few things, then returned them. What I settled on was a little speaker called Jam Storm after seeing a review of it.. it's really nice to put on a desk or a table.. has good bass and overall quality for it's size (pretty heavy at over a pound since it's a metal construction). About $70-80. But the real prize I'm ecstatic with is the large Klipsch KMC 3. Normally at $400, though at the moment selling for $200 for some reason. I love it. Bass shakes my wall at half volume and it's so loud, I can't stand next to it at, again, half volume. No distortion even when going over 100% volume (my music app allows that, while featuring an 18 band graphic EQ). This speaker sounds so natural and better, louder, and with more bass than anything I heard so far. Totally recommended. btw, I'd always test these speakers with my tablet, my songs, and my EQ settings --- very important to do so.

PFiDC

Tablets and computers

Postby PFiDC » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:09 am

I have an HP laptop (make and model unknown. I'm in bed and don't care to look at the moment) with a bad cooling fan. I get an error screen on start up informing me of such and warning of possible shut down. Anyway, generally speaking, how hard is it to install a new fan in a laptop?

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:06 am

I have an HP laptop (make and model unknown. I'm in bed and don't care to look at the moment) with a bad cooling fan. I get an error screen on start up informing me of such and warning of possible shut down. Anyway, generally speaking, how hard is it to install a new fan in a laptop?
Alrighty then.

Kaiser

Tablets and computers

Postby Kaiser » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:22 am

I'd rather lose a leg than lose my nexus 7.

cheesesteakwithegg

Tablets and computers

Postby cheesesteakwithegg » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Google Chrome keeps deleting all of my bookmarks. I am about to go crazy.

dodint

Tablets and computers

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:20 pm

An appetizer before it dines on all your RAM.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Tablets and computers

Postby iamjs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:10 pm

did you check where they are stored?

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

should be listed as bookmarks

cadams

Tablets and computers

Postby cadams » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:29 pm

T-Mobile is "giving" away the LG G Pad F 8.0 via a $9.99 bill credit to cover the EIP (equip. installment plan) if you have a 1GB or higher data plan, and they already do a nice match your data for $10 plan so if you are on unlimited you get 5GB.

Tablet has decent specs, haven't had a chance yet to play with it but this looks like a solid tablet.

Morkle

Tablets and computers

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Ordering parts for my new computer this weekend. First real stab at actually building one from scratch. Saved a ton of money though, I can't wait to get started.

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:48 pm

I gave up on Chrome the moment they turned into a-holes preventing installs from apps not in their store. I'm back with Firefox again and it's working awesome.

shmenguin

Tablets and computers

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:48 pm

Ordering parts for my new computer this weekend. First real stab at actually building one from scratch. Saved a ton of money though, I can't wait to get started.
heh...i've never found it to be a very cost-effective approach. especially if you're going to be paying for a new, legit windows license.

DigitalGypsy66

Tablets and computers

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:54 pm

heh...i've never found it to be a very cost-effective approach. especially if you're going to be paying for a new, legit windows license.
Unless you are a degenerate PC gamer, then it usually is worth the price. If you are a MS Office/browser PC user, then it's not worth building your own. Then again, I get discounted Windows licenses through work, so $20 Win 8 saves me some money.

Note: I am a degenerate PC gamer. :lol:

cadams

Tablets and computers

Postby cadams » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Chrome made my iMac grind to a halt, probably deleting it from windows too but it hasn't been horrible yet.

Morkle

Tablets and computers

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Unless you are a degenerate PC gamer, then it usually is worth the price. If you are a MS Office/browser PC user, then it's not worth building your own. Then again, I get discounted Windows licenses through work, so $20 Win 8 saves me some money.

Note: I am a degenerate PC gamer. :lol:
I'm a gamer, and I spent roughly 700-800, way better than the Dell that's worth 2K. Also, not having to pay for a windows license is legit.

DigitalGypsy66

Tablets and computers

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:20 pm

I built one last February for around that price. No way an Alienware or Dell could've touched the specs for that price. Plus, no bloatware!

SSD's are the best, too.

AuthorTony

Tablets and computers

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:24 pm

I really need a new computer. Mine is 5 years old now and I've maxed out the possible RAM. Photoshop is dragging lately and the ROES software I use for ordering prints and products from various labs completely stalls out the entire system for minutes at a time. Trying to decide whether to buy or try to build. I hate changing computers. :(

shmenguin

Tablets and computers

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:34 pm

you sure it's a ram problem? a 5 year old computer should have plenty of scalability for memory. and photoediting shouldn't eat like 16gb, or even 8.

AuthorTony

Tablets and computers

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Pretty sure. My RAM maxes out at 8GB. I have Photoshop open now and here's the PC's performance. The ROES issue is definitely RAM. The software is horrible and the company that makes it says you should have 12-20GB of RAM, which is ridiculous but they're the only game in town and all the labs use it. I have PS open now (along with Firefox) and here's my performance.

Any ideas what else I could do to speed things up? I'd love to delay changing computers as long as possible.

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 am

Is anyone familiar with this phone? A friend said I should check it out, so I did, and it looked awfully pretty, but it's getting some bad reviews and they all mention "lag" and durability issues (it's curved, easy to snap). I need to buy a phone for someone and thought this could be it, but I'm turned off now.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Flex2-Volcano- ... ds=lg+flex

DigitalGypsy66

Tablets and computers

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 pm

Source of the postAny ideas what else I could do to speed things up? I'd love to delay changing computers as long as possible.
Not optimal, but you could back your files up and put a clean install of Windows on there. That should clean things up, but it's quite a hassle.

shoeshine boy

Tablets and computers

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:09 am

bought my very first Mac and it arrives today. I just couldn't take Windows instability anymore.
I'm so excited! it's just like Christmas!

Defence21

Tablets and computers

Postby Defence21 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:00 pm

I am thinking of grabbing a Chromebook for use during work travel. My current laptop's battery is dead unless plugged in, and I can't guarantee I'll always have access to a plug. There's a sale item at Best Buy putting an Asus Chromebook at $129 from $279, and I feel like there's better value in buying this than a new battery for my current laptop for $75.

Thoughts on Chromebooks for basic web browsing, YouTube, Gmail use?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-13-3-c ... Id=8697009

Thoughts on that product in specific?