Tablets and computers

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Tablets and computers

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:02 pm

http://blog.surface.com/2015/03/announc ... izzleVideo

Surface 3 might be my next buy. I'd love to have a tablet that can do all the things a laptop can do... surface 3 seems like it might be the best option right now.

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:10 pm

Surface tablets are nice. I spent some time playing with one. The thing is that I personally wouldn't need a tablet to treat as a laptop. I'd just get a powerful laptop with a big screen so I could even play games better. I got a Winbook that's dirt cheap, really good for the price, and allows me what I want to do with a tablet, which is internet, news, netflix, youtube, basic email or some smaller game.

tifosi77

Tablets and computers

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:16 pm

I had an ASUS TF700T that was awesome, right up until it wasn't. Can't figure out what happened to it, but the thing just became so laggy as to be unusable. Replaced it with a Sammy Galaxy Tab S 10.5 which is sweetness incarnate. Considering getting a Tab S 8 and tethering it to my cell phone for permanent use in the car as sat nav / SiriusXM portal.

Avyran

Tablets and computers

Postby Avyran » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:17 pm

Would you guys recommend those tablets over a laptop (assuming you're just using the laptop for Office stuff / web-surfing, etc)?

shmenguin

Tablets and computers

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:29 pm

upgraded my laptop recently. i considered a surface 3, but the ergonomics just didn't jive with what we need it for. my wife does work on it, so she needs a regular keyboard, and i needed it for photo editing...and while it had some nice little features in that regard, it's not enough for me.

i went with the new Dell M3800 (which is just like the XPS 15). aside from the keyboard missing dedicated home/end/pgup/pgdwn buttons, it is absolutely perfect. the display on it is drool-worthy. 1 million more pixels than the macbook pro.

Craig

Tablets and computers

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:44 pm

I dont think ill ever get a tablet. Id only do it if i were going to drop to a flip phone so iM not on my phone all day and needed something for at home.

tifosi77

Tablets and computers

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Excluding gaming, probably about 98% of my internetting consists of streaming and social media. That's a tablet's wheelhouse.

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:20 pm

tif, I played with your tablet today. It's fast, screen looks great, works very well. But I have two issues with it. It's Android. I prefer Windows. I swap files between that and my PC easily. Second, the sound is bad. I usually test on 2 loudly produced metal CDs off youtube. I got the volume up to 70% and it began distorting. It's loud, but badly distorted. The tablet is really thin, thinner than a Winbook. Probably no room to put in better speakers. Not that sound on Winbook 10.1 is great. It's OK, but that also needs a separate speaker. Sound on Winbooks 7 and 8 inch - which I use - is great (considering we're talking about tablets), however. No distortion and loud. I can put music on and actually enjoy it.

Do you (or anyone here) use a separate speaker when listening to audio on a phone or tablet? I have a friend who wants a cheap $30-50 dollar bluetooth speaker for her 10.1 Winbook. There are so many of these things around, it's pretty confusing and who knows which ones actually sound good. I'd probably grab one myself just for the hell.

shmenguin

Tablets and computers

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:12 pm

I don't understand why sound matters to people on mobile devices.

If you're in public, you're a jerk if your device is making noise. If you're at home...what's the deal? When you're in bed or on the couch watching netflix, you want crisper audio? Is any device really going to meet your standard of quality?

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:36 pm

I don't understand why sound matters to people on mobile devices.

If you're in public, you're a jerk if your device is making noise. If you're at home...what's the deal? When you're in bed or on the couch watching netflix, you want crisper audio? Is any device really going to meet your standard of quality?
It's always important to me even on the cell phone, which is why I only use HTC phones. I'd never use an iPhone, for instance, as the sound is crap.

It's not for the public, it's for me. Whether I'm out somewhere or waiting in the car or waiting in the department store while my gf looks for new stuff for an hour or even in bed or even if I go to the kitchen and put the phone/tablet down on the table. I'm a music person. I must have good sound or I'm not buying. Also, what's the use of something like Youtube on a phone or tablet if you can't listen with pleasure. No. Sound is one of the most important aspects to me.

shmenguin

Tablets and computers

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Then I'd use headphones.

You make everyone else listen to your phone while you're at the department store?

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Then I'd use headphones.

You make everyone else listen to your phone while you're at the department store?
I don't carry headphones. If I sit at a department store it's on the side where there's no one else, usually. The dept. store is like 1/10 of where I use it anyway. I'm not going to starts blasting my stuff with people around.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Tablets and computers

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:48 pm

I just bought this one from Sam's Club. I only use a tablet, really, to read PDF's and maybe check the internet every now and then.

It is pretty fantastic.

Sarcastic

Tablets and computers

Postby Sarcastic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:57 pm

I saw this enormous tablet at Walmart for $449 (20 inch). It's hilarious. It's like an HD TV. I think these are the ones here. It says they have an even bigger one for $549 (24 inch). I don't know anything about them, other than size. It kinda blew me away in person.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nabi-sell ... id-tablets

dodint

Tablets and computers

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:20 pm

Signatures in a comments section. Awwwwwful.

tifosi77

Tablets and computers

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 pm

tif, I played with your tablet today. It's fast, screen looks great, works very well. But I have two issues with it. It's Android. I prefer Windows. I swap files between that and my PC easily. Second, the sound is bad. I usually test on 2 loudly produced metal CDs off youtube. I got the volume up to 70% and it began distorting. It's loud, but badly distorted. The tablet is really thin, thinner than a Winbook. Probably no room to put in better speakers. Not that sound on Winbook 10.1 is great. It's OK, but that also needs a separate speaker. Sound on Winbooks 7 and 8 inch - which I use - is great (considering we're talking about tablets), however. No distortion and loud. I can put music on and actually enjoy it.

Do you (or anyone here) use a separate speaker when listening to audio on a phone or tablet? I have a friend who wants a cheap $30-50 dollar bluetooth speaker for her 10.1 Winbook. There are so many of these things around, it's pretty confusing and who knows which ones actually sound good. I'd probably grab one myself just for the hell.
To a point, speaker quality in a portable device really isn't an issue for me. If I'm doing any critical listening, it's with headphones, through a dock, or Chromecasting to the TV. Now that I think of it, I have the physical volume on the tablet (and my phone) on mute at all times.

dodint

Tablets and computers

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:32 pm

OneDrive, a free MS Cloud service file system that integrates with Office 2013/365 is available on Android. So is Office for that matter. I use both on my phone.

My phone also has BT connection to my home theater, so mobile sound quality isn't an factor for me either.

columbia

Tablets and computers

Postby columbia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm

I've been waiting since December to become upgrade eligible, as I've had terrible problems with keeping my Galaxy S3 charged.
So I got an iPhone 5C for $0.99 from Verizon. What have I missed since the iPhone 3?

tifosi77

Tablets and computers

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:18 pm

The Galaxy S4, S5 and S6. ;)

willeyeam

Tablets and computers

Postby willeyeam » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:40 pm

I got the s6 Edge. Love it

tifosi77

Tablets and computers

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:16 pm

We're both update-eligible from our S3s, which I think will happen towards the end of summer. But I'm reluctant to move to a device that doesn't accept an SD card or have a removable battery.

cadams

Tablets and computers

Postby cadams » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Looks like your options will be a Note 4 or G4. Just about every other "flagship" is getting rid of one or both.

Every time I crack open my Note 3 now and remove the battery and SD Card to think about swapping back to an iPhone I just put the thing back together again.

I'll be curious to see if Samsung makes the same changesnto the Note 5 this fall.

dodint

Tablets and computers

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:09 pm

What are they doing in lieu of? More on-board memory? Note 5 or 6 will be my next device. Giving up a hard keyboard was a big ask, going with a sealed case might be too much.

cadams

Tablets and computers

Postby cadams » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:02 am

What are they doing in lieu of? More on-board memory? Note 5 or 6 will be my next device. Giving up a hard keyboard was a big ask, going with a sealed case might be too much.
More on board storage, most are pushing up to 32gb as the minimum, maxing out at 128mb and adding extra storage like Dropbox, one drive and Google drive space.

I like the removable batteries though. Being able to swap when there's no good way to charge all day is helpful.

DigitalGypsy66

Tablets and computers

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:06 am

Has anyone heard anything about the Nexus 6? I'm well overdue for an upgrade on my S3, but can't abide being an iSlave. I was leaning S6 or maybe even S5 because of the battery/expandable storage deal. Note 4 is too rich for my blood...and a little too big.