Biggest Regrets in Your Life?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:58 am

Its seems to me like youre saying that 2 year headstart on your career was worth more to you than the extra 2 years of mostly unrelated education would have been.
Pretty much. For web design and development it was better to get real world experience over educational experience.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:01 pm

You mean you didn't need to take art history? Blasphemy!

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:12 pm

My wife has a masters degree(and her student loan debt is more than we owe on our house) and I make more than her.... it's just how it goes sometimes.
Same here. It took us 4 years of putting all our savings into paying off my wife's loans. I paid mine off in 13 months, and still bought a new car.

Speaking of regrets- buying a new car. On top of that, buying a new Chrysler. Huge regert.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:34 pm

I dont regret buying a new car, but ill never do it again. Its awesome having a brand new car.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:56 pm

I dont regret buying a new car, but ill never do it again. Its awesome having a brand new car.
x2

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:14 pm

I'm actually in the hunt for a new daily driver (my 12 mile to the gallon jeep isn't cutting it anymore). Def going low miles and used - just so I can keep my Jeep and drive it when it's nice out since it's paid off next year.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Is it modified? I didn't think anything got mileage that low anymore. My Land Rover got 17.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Is it modified? I didn't think anything got mileage that low anymore. My Land Rover got 17.
Yea, it's lifted 4 inches, has 35 inch tires, and full-size front and rear steel bumpers. Thing is weighed down mightly for highway driving. Used to not be a big deal because I'd drive 12-15 miles a day. Now I drive 30+ in my commute and it eats gas.

Going with a Honda Accord or Civic used so I can run the wheels off of that and it not cost me.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:27 pm

That'll do it. Nice. :thumb:

redwill

Postby redwill » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Not pulling that tachyon transmuter knob in time and causing that attack ship to go down in flames off Triton. Many brave spacers died needlessly that day, I can tell you.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Visited Monterey California in 2009. Did not go to In-N-Out burger during my 4 or 5 day stay. REGRETS!

Overrated. :D

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Visited Monterey California in 2009. Did not go to In-N-Out burger during my 4 or 5 day stay. REGRETS!

I feel as though with In-N-Out, people either love it to death, or think it's the worst stuff on Earth.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Damn, who comes up with some of these thought-provoking threads?

I try to live by the 'no ragrets' rule -- learn from your past, apply it to your future. If you start hitting rewind on your life and trying to change little things here and there, you risk the Back to the Future backlash of messing up your current status. Would my personal life be a whole lot better than it is now if I had gone to a different college? Maybe. But then, maybe I don't have the pretty good professional life that I do now. That being said, there are a couple of things that have gnawed at me a bit only because I would have liked to have seen what would have happened in a different scenario:

--Not taking up the offer from a girl who basically asked me out in a high school yearbook note because I was too self-conscious and had no idea how to act in that situation.
--Missing out on the deciding game of a summer baseball championship series because I had to attend basketball team camp. The camp was a flop, we went 3-20 that year in hoops, and my team blew a 2-run final-inning lead to lose that championship game.
--Not sticking up for myself and telling off my HS basketball coach my senior year for the way I was treated. Instead, I took the 'ignore' route and it was highly satisfying when I returned the following year and said hello to the assistants but totally shunned him.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:52 pm

I don't think that if I could go back and decided to not block my Dad out of my life from when I was 19-23 would change my present day situation but I'm still capable of regretting that most cliche of youthful choices. At least we got our **** together when we did. I went to my cousin's wedding the day before I reported to boot camp and ran into him there. If I hadn't done that there's no telling how many more years that stalemate would've gone on.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:31 pm

There are some careers that I wish I knew existed, I might have pursued them.

When I was a senior in high school I wrote a lot of music in a guitar tablature program called Tabit, which played music back in midi. I wrote a lot of "epic music," which is exactly the same kind of stuff that turns up in movie trailers. So I could have been the original Hi Finesse or Audiomachine.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Agreed. I used to really dig it, but in reality Monterey is pretty depressing outside of the tourist areas.

Nice race track, tho. And the aquarium has otters.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:46 pm

I think he meant In-n-Out is overrated. Which it is

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:52 pm

I don't think that if I could go back and decided to not block my Dad out of my life from when I was 19-23 would change my present day situation but I'm still capable of regretting that most cliche of youthful choices. At least we got our **** together when we did. I went to my cousin's wedding the day before I reported to boot camp and ran into him there. If I hadn't done that there's no telling how many more years that stalemate would've gone on.
Meh. It's been 20 years since I've talked to my dad. F*** him. No regrets.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Source of the post And the aquarium has otters.
I view Monterey Bay Aquarium the same way I do the San Diego Zoo. It was hyped up to me so much that when I finally visited [in 2012], I was extremely disappointed. I'm not sure that I'd even put it in my top-5.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

I think he meant In-n-Out is overrated. Which it is

Correct. I love Monterey...well, actually, I love Pebble Beach. Monterey is just a nice town to hang out when I'm not at the golf course.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Here's a regret.

I trained with a girl in Nevada.

She is an absolute knockout, imo. Didn't even try to talk to her, I was so intimidated. I just stole glances between lifting.

6 months later she blew the **** up on the internet and is now an Olympian, I just follow her now on Instagram.

Nationals are like a week away. Wish I was competing

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:24 pm

Here's a regret.

She is an absolute knockout, imo. Didn't even try to talk to her, I was so intimidated. I just stole glances between lifting.

6 months later she blew the **** up on the internet and is now an Olympian, I just follow her now on Instagram.

What's her name or it never happened.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:29 pm

Here's a regret.

What's her name or it never happened.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMQwTLw1Hv/

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:48 pm

I don't have any serious regrets up until this point, but one that always annoys me is back in high school my soccer team made it to the regional finals for our region in NYS. The winner of the game would go on to the state tournament. The opposing team had a really good striker (was a state allstar I think, he then went on to play D1 baseball as a pitcher) and we had agreed to put an athletic yet not too intelligent defender to mark him. The opposing player scored at about the 30 minute mark.

After he scored I said "**** this" and marked him forthe rest of the game. I don't think he got another shot on goal. But man, I always think about if I had nutted up and marked him from the beginning, we might have won.

Uncle Rico

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:49 pm

I regret not learning to play an instrument.