GDT Wk2: Cincinatti Bengals @ Pittsburgh Steelers - The Porter Rematch

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:44 pm

I'm sure Adam Jones is going to cry about this loss.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Lets be honest here... Most steeler fans(or any nfl fan in general) would react the same way the bengals fans are. If the Steelers had been on the other end of that call my FB feed would be blowing up with how the NFL hates the Steelers etc.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Lets be honest here... Most steeler fans(or any nfl fan in general) would react the same way the bengals fans are. If the Steelers had been on the other end of that call my FB feed would be blowing up with how the NFL hates the Steelers etc.
Oh, 100%. I never claimed the contrary. :)

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Agree but it's better when it happens to them.

The Steelers have been jobbed enough times by the refs in the past.

Craig

Postby Craig » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:08 pm

Thats why its funny when anyone acts like the league is out to get their favorite team.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:40 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:56 pm

I'm not even sure what there is to complain about on that play.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:15 am

The receiver didn't go to ground from contact, it doesn't matter that his knee was down.
Wow that never occurred to me. Great point. If Harrison's first point of contact was knee on ball then it really was a fumble

Still, that knee down first on the catch in the end zone was legitimately botched

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:26 am

Missed the end of the game, saw the response, went to see video of the play. That is such an inbetween play, I think if the ruling on the field were incomplete it would stand, the only ruling that I don't think would have stood on replay would be completed pass.

Plus with the Bengals still down 8 points and still having 33 yards to go, I think it's a lot of wasted butt hurt on their end. That said, the only given about this game was that if the Bengals lost they would complain about the refs.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:33 am

Oh and F the NFL for suspending Bryant for the year. This offense would have been so much more fun to watch with another competent WR. I think we'll see other teams use whatever strategy the Bengals were using to cover Brown all season.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:41 am

I didn't watch the last quarter of the game. Looking at the video, that probably should have been down. Why did they say it was a fumble?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 am

I didn't watch the last quarter of the game. Looking at the video, that probably should have been down. Why did they say it was a fumble?
Pretty sure they stated that it was inconclusive and couldn't over turn the call on the field (which was fumble). It looked to me like the ball came out maybe an instance after the knee hit the ground, but from the video I saw the defender was blocking the ball so all you could see was the knee hitting the ground then the ball coming out so you didn't know for sure when exactly he started to lose control of the ball.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:49 am

Pretty sure they stated that it was inconclusive and couldn't over turn the call on the field (which was fumble). It looked to me like the ball came out maybe an instance after the knee hit the ground, but from the video I saw the defender was blocking the ball so all you could see was the knee hitting the ground then the ball coming out so you didn't know for sure when exactly he started to lose control of the ball.
Exactly that...I just found this tweet...

https://twitter.com/deanblandino/status ... 1260892160

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:49 am

Harrison's HGH thighs saved that from being overturned.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:54 am

I wasn't able to watch the game, but did see the highlights that NFL.com posted. How did the Steelers look overall, namely the defense?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:56 am

I wasn't able to watch the game, but did see the highlights that NFL.com posted. How did the Steelers look overall, namely the defense?
Reminds me of Cowher-era defenses. Stuff the run, bit of a leaky secondary, and a frustrating tendency to allow long third down conversions.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:58 am

the defense looked OK but the weather was terrible

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:04 am

Reminds me of Cowher-era defenses. Stuff the run, bit of a leaky secondary, and a frustrating tendency to allow long third down conversions.
Thank you. That last bit was my biggest worry going into this season. It's still early, so I hope they find a way to correct that.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:08 am

Defense was playing very good until they went into prevent mode. Not sure what game you guys were watching but they allowed 3 field goals until 6 minutes left. AJ Green had one or two catches and Jeremy Hill had 22 yards.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:11 am

Source of the post Defense was playing very good until they went into prevent mode.
This drives me nuts. I hated it when I saw them do it against Washington, and I'd prefer that they never do it again.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:13 am

Exactly that...I just found this tweet...

https://twitter.com/deanblandino/status ... 1260892160
I bought in until the last two replays they showed (starting at 1:20ish). Looks pretty obvious that his knee was down and the fumble was caused by Harrison's knee after Boyd's knee was down.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:15 am

That wasn't meant to be a complaint about the D, I think it's a little concerning that the Bengals were able to make a game out of it in the end. But they've been playing with a lead these first two games. I think I saw that they have only gotten two sacks through two games. They're allowed to stay conservative and not try any exotic blitzes yet.

Long season yet to play, but as of now, I think their main goal is to keep Roethlisberger as clean as they can and just hope Brown and Bell are healthy for the postseason.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:18 am

Oh and F the NFL for suspending Bryant for the year. This offense would have been so much more fun to watch with another competent WR. I think we'll see other teams use whatever strategy the Bengals were using to cover Brown all season.
You mean a rain dance?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:23 am

with bell bryant and green im not sure how the offense would function. not that many balls to go around.