Dolly Sods in WV

AuthorTony

Dolly Sods in WV

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Random question, but has anyone here visited Dolly Sods in WV? I'd like to head down there this fall and was wondering how easily accessible some of the cool overlooks are. I'll be taking my 9.5 year old dog with me so I want to make sure it's not crazy rough trails and/or super steep. Any advice is much appreciated.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Dolly Sods in WV

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:16 pm

I practically lived in that part of West Virginia in high school and it is phenomenal. Easily one of the most overlooked places in America.

There are parts of Dolly Sods that need a little bit of effort to get to, but it's not Pikes Peak.

Next time you are down that way the Otter Creek Wilderness Area is phenomenal.

Rylan

Dolly Sods in WV

Postby Rylan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Dolly Sods is super cool. Pretty much what Freddy said, there is a lot to see and most is easily accessible.

dodint

Dolly Sods in WV

Postby dodint » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:30 pm

Pikes Peak has a road to the summit, soooo, not a lot of effort there either.

Freddy Rumsen

Dolly Sods in WV

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:33 pm

One of the coolest parts about Otter Creek is that about 7 miles in there is a 70 acre tract of old growth forest. It is spectacular.

Freddy Rumsen

Dolly Sods in WV

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:54 pm

Man, Hockeynut! you have me searching the internent wondering how I can make a living and convince my wife to move to Parsons.

AuthorTony

Dolly Sods in WV

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:11 pm

Thanks for the help, everyone!
Man, Hockeynut! you have me searching the internent wondering how I can make a living and convince my wife to move to Parsons.
When I was researching my WV book, I swung by West Virginia Wesleyan College because my grandfather was in charge of building the chapel there. My next stop was a little cabin I rented along the Cheat River in Parsons. I tried to enter the location of the cabin into my GPS but it wasn't listed. I tried my cell phone to call the owner and had no signal. I figured it wasn't a big deal and that I'd get a signal somewhere along the way. I did not. I had absolutely no service, including when I reached Parsons. Luckily some people that worked at McDonald's were able to point me in the general direction and I eventually found it, but not without a lot of fretting. Nice, little town and super friendly people. I imagine it would be a tough place to earn a living though. If you want to stay at a tiny cabin, I can give you a recommendation.

RonnieFranchise

Dolly Sods in WV

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:31 am

Friends of ours who lost their son to cancer at age 11 do a cancer benefit hike there every year, we have donated but haven't gone.

We do love to go to WV though, so many wilderness places to explore. Wife also loves to spend $$$ at Tamarack.