Michael Savage
5%
Other
20%

Total votes: 61
tifosi77

Clinton v. Trump - 2016 Election Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Comey was in a no-win situation, in that he had Congressional testimony that was no longer truthful or accurate (that the FBI was no longer investigating Clinton's emails) which needed updating. But he was in that case largely because of his earlier misstep in holding a press conference to publicly state the Bureau was not recommending charges. And the vagueness of the new letter did him no favors.

In other words, he took the least worst option and executed it poorly.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:08 pm

George Will railing at comey in the Chris Wallace show.

I don't think is going to sway many voters.

WSJ guy has made a good point. comey sort of had to say something because if it came out that they had these emails and didnt say anything, that would look bad.
I thought this at first, and then I heard that: 1) None of the emails involved here are emails from or to Hillary, and 2.) the Justice Dept. advised Comey not to go public, and 3) a number of people, both Dems and Republicans, see Comey as a bit of a loose cannon.

He's either covering his ass WAY too much, or he likes the idea of inserting himself into election year politics, IMO.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Comey was in a no-win situation, in that he had Congressional testimony that was no longer truthful or accurate (that the FBI was no longer investigating Clinton's emails) which needed updating. But he was in that case largely because of his earlier misstep in holding a press conference to publicly state the Bureau was not recommending charges. And the vagueness of the new letter did him no favors.

Comey held that press conference because Loretta Lynch is an idiot and met with Bill Clinton on the Phoenix tarmac. Lynch acknowledged she had created a significant appearance of impropriety, and while she didn't recuse herself -- which she should have done -- she punted to the FBI and said she would agree with whatever Comey, as the Director of the FBI, and her other prosecutors working the case would recommend. If she never takes that meeting, Comey's never out in front holding a press conference like that, but with her abdicating because of her foolishness, someone had to.

Hillary has Bill and Loretta Lynch to blame for it unwinding this way.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:43 pm

WSJ guy has made a good point. comey sort of had to say something because if it came out that they had these emails and didnt say anything, that would look bad.
I thought this at first, and then I heard that: 1) None of the emails involved here are emails from or to Hillary, and 2.) the Justice Dept. advised Comey not to go public, and 3) a number of people, both Dems and Republicans, see Comey as a bit of a loose cannon.

He's either covering his ass WAY too much, or he likes the idea of inserting himself into election year politics, IMO.

They haven't released anything regarding the emails yet, so how is it known who they involve?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Comey held that press conference because Loretta Lynch is an idiot and met with Bill Clinton on the Phoenix tarmac. Lynch acknowledged she had created a significant appearance of impropriety, and while she didn't recuse herself -- which she should have done -- she punted to the FBI and said she would agree with whatever Comey, as the Director of the FBI, and her other prosecutors working the case would recommend. If she never takes that meeting, Comey's never out in front holding a press conference like that, but with her abdicating because of her foolishness, someone had to.

Hillary has Bill and Loretta Lynch to blame for it unwinding this way.
I understand that context, but it's still not justification for breaking standing policy and then editorializing for half an hour. Literally almost every other word he spoke in that July presser undermined the decision to not recommend charges. (Juxtapose the tremendous amount of information in that July briefing with how threadbare Friday's announcement was. Not that level of detail was available Friday, but that difference is still stark.)

"Good morning. Our investigation into Hillary Clinton's email server has not uncovered the combination of clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice. We do not see those things here. As such, we are not recommending criminal charges in this case. Thank you, and have a pleasant rest of your day." (Much that is Corey's actual text, btw.)

If he was going to break with precedent, that's all he should've done. I'm generally a big fan of Comey, but he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory this year.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:50 pm

They haven't released anything regarding the emails yet, so how is it known who they involve?
If I remember correctly, Comey sent a more detailed letter to DOJ people saying that.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:53 pm

That's fair, but introducing that variable into the equation is something could have been avoided. The break with standard policy isn't something that gets my dander up -- the unique combination of the nominee for President under a legitimate federal investigation that's not a partisan witch hunt; an AG who's meeting her husband clandestinely on tarmacs; and that AG in turn punting to the Director. In light of that background him holding a press conference that was too expansive in his desire to present himself and his agency as having done all they could to make a vetted determination is reasonable notwithstanding the usual; this certainly wasn't the usual.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:53 pm

If I remember correctly, Comey sent a more detailed letter to DOJ people saying that.
The irony being that one of the reasons he gave for the letter to Congress was he wanted to preempt leaks. So of course, his internal memo explaining that was leaked.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:14 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:40 pm

Okay, that pretty much means they're looking at Gmail, Yahoo, etc accounts as well. There's no way there are 650k emails strictly from clintonmail.com.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:01 pm

The big wild card (and this is obviously a big "if) is if whatever they may have discovered could be tied to sex crimes on the part of Weiner. We already know he carried on a long sexting relationship with an underage girl, and given his sexual proclivities, it's not that unthinkable that they could (or did) find something on his laptop that relates to criminal sexual stuff.

Again, that's a total hypothetical scenario, but that would blow this story into the stratosphere. Especially if there is any inkling of communications about it between Huma, Clinton, etc. Is it likely they find something like that? Probably not, but it's readily apparent that Weiner is a sleazebag pervert from whom any sort of behavior is possible.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:02 pm

Former Bush ethics head files complaint against Comey:
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/30/ ... -Hatch-Act

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm beginning to believe Comey sent the letter to get in front FBI agents just leaking the info...whatever the info is.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:13 pm

This is as newsworthy as "Trump unbuttons pants to pee"

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:14 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:44 pm

That's the third time someone posted that in this thread. :)
I'm all for proof of voter fraud being as widely disseminated as possible.

Someone post it again.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:47 pm

lol

dodint nightmare scenario engaged...for Trump.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Voter fraud is a party neutral issue.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:53 pm

I would say that is quite incorrect, as only one party "believes" it's a real problem (as a pretense to suppress voting). Your feelings aside, it is quite partisan.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:56 pm

Voter fraud dilutes your vote. Take it personally, man.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:02 pm

We can go in this circle forever, but I'm far more concerned about election fraud. I either mentioned it here or the other place, but the city I lived for the 2012 (see my username), mysteriously had "problems" with the voting machines in the main .....Republican ward. It was complete BS and undoubtedly helped out the Democrats in the local elections.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:04 pm

That letter from Harry Reid is terrible. It comes off as incredibly sophomoric. "Hey, no fair, you're helping them and not us! Tell us what you know about Trump!".

IMO, as absurd as this letter is, I think it's an obvious attempt by Reid and Senate Democrats to intimidate Comey into toeing their line, and it's actually quite chilling. They are essentially threatening him with jail time if he doesn't operate in a way that better suits Democratic interests. "Tarring Secretary Clinton"....Jesus.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:06 pm

We can go in this circle forever, but I'm far more concerned about election fraud. I either mentioned it here or the other place, but the city I lived for the 2012 (see my username), mysteriously had "problems" with the voting machines in the main .....Republican ward. It was complete BS and undoubtedly helped out the Democrats in the local elections.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:12 pm

That letter from Harry Reid is terrible. It comes off as incredibly sophomoric. "Hey, no fair, you're helping them and not us! Tell us what you know about Trump!".

IMO, as absurd as this letter is, I think it's an obvious attempt by Reid and Senate Democrats to intimidate Comey into toeing their line, and it's actually quite chilling. They are essentially threatening him with jail time if he doesn't operate in a way that better suits Democratic interests. "Tarring Secretary Clinton"....Jesus.
Its also weirdly personal and patronizing.