5%
Other
20%

Total votes: 61
Nuge

Clinton v. Trump - 2016 Election Thread

Postby Nuge » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:04 pm

RE: Moving to a popular vote

Does it really matter where the campaign events take place? In this age of technology, I don't think it really matters where a candidate physically campaigns.

Tell Wisconsin and Michigan that.
I guess what I'm saying is, after seeing those two states flip, I highly doubt a candidate would only campaign in the cities even with a popular vote. And maybe I think differently than most, but I don't care at all about where a candidate goes. I'd rather look at their policies.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:05 pm

if you watch a Trump rally on youtube they're really surreal events. He'll get Diamond and Silk up to fire up the crowd, he'll bring disabled vets up out of their seats, he'll do what practically amounts to stand up comedy relating stories of people like Anthony Weiner, one I saw he brought a guy to tossed a protester out up to speak. Just totally free form theater, 180 degrees different than the scripted nature of a "normal" campaign event.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:06 pm

Worth remembering that the Constitution does not provide for the direct election of the President by the people, really at all.
As ratified, the Constitution provided four columns of power in the federal government: The House, the Senate, the Executive (President), and the Judiciary (SCOTUS at the top). Of those, the only one for which the all-knowing Framers provided direct popular election by the (white, male, property-owning) people was the House.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Got this alert from CNN:
Obama says he and Trump had an "excellent" conversation. Trump calls Obama a "very good man," looks forward to Obama's counsel.
Trump already alienating his supporters. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:09 pm

Worth remembering that the Constitution does not provide for the direct election of the President by the people, really at all.
As ratified, the Constitution provided four columns of power in the federal government: The House, the Senate, the Executive (President), and the Judiciary (SCOTUS at the top). Of those, the only one for which the all-knowing Framers provided direct popular election by the (white, male, property-owning) people was the House.
As they rightly did. We should get rid of the 17th Amendment.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:10 pm

I'm kind of surprised by this. I imagined they would've played golf once or twice

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:14 pm

I dont think they need to go to a popular vote...but the electoral college is pointless. Just dont touch voting districts and let each district decide where their vote goes. Pittsburgh is different from philadelphia is different from the rest of the state...why do all their votes go to one place?
This is my thought.
As long as you allow districting by independent third party nonpartisan bodies that are just seeking to create boundaries decided by warm bodies and not what type of likely voter they are, sure.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:18 pm

TIL it is against Federal law for a family member of the President to take a paid position on the White House staff.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Surprised Shad hasn't reported this yet:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-e ... in-n681936

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:24 pm

I dont think they need to go to a popular vote...but the electoral college is pointless. Just dont touch voting districts and let each district decide where their vote goes. Pittsburgh is different from philadelphia is different from the rest of the state...why do all their votes go to one place?
This is my thought.
As long as you allow districting by independent third party nonpartisan bodies that are just seeking to create boundaries decided by warm bodies and not what type of likely voter they are, sure.
Gerrymandering was my favorite exercise in any high school class.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:24 pm

RE: Moving to a popular vote

Does it really matter where the campaign events take place? In this age of technology, I don't think it really matters where a candidate physically campaigns.

Tell Wisconsin and Michigan that.
I guess what I'm saying is, after seeing those two states flip, I highly doubt a candidate would only campaign in the cities even with a popular vote. And maybe I think differently than most, but I don't care at all about where a candidate goes. I'd rather look at their policies.
I think you overlook the fact that if a candidate comes to my place, campaigning for my vote, I for sure will be more willing to vote for him/her, if I get something tangible for it (think Iowa and their corn-based goodies). This is from:

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/written-explanation
State winner-take-all statutes adversely affect governance. “Battleground” states receive 7% more federal grants than “spectator” states, twice as many presidential disaster declarations, more Superfund enforcement exemptions, and more No Child Left Behind law exemptions.
Even if we go to the modified EC, where each state's EVs will be decided based on state vote - it will immediately force parties to battle for individual EVs in that state (even AR has now the potential to deliver 1-2 EVs for the Democrats) - thus promising more resources to that state. (And, in this case, the "noble intentions" of EC could actually work - you need to sway less people in small state to gain 1 extra EV compared to CA, NY, TX...)
Last edited by Tomas on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Got this alert from CNN:
Obama says he and Trump had an "excellent" conversation. Trump calls Obama a "very good man," looks forward to Obama's counsel.
Trump already alienating his supporters. :lol:
The NWO made sure Trump came to heel

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:26 pm

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:26 pm

?

I think everyone acknowledges that it would require amendment. It also didn't call for direct election of Senators; are you interested in repealing the 17th Amendment?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:29 pm

?

I think everyone acknowledges that it would require amendment. It also didn't call for direct election of Senators; are you interested in repealing the 17th Amendment?
As they rightly did. We should get rid of the 17th Amendment.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:30 pm

:face:

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:31 pm

That's a new one. For all your railing about the elites, you seem to be in favor of removing electoral power from the populace any way you can.

Or is this just you pining for the dear old 1700s?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:31 pm

Awful. Please stop. WTF is wrong with people?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:33 pm

This is my thought.
Yes, I suggested as much on a now-inaccessible page I believe...do it by longitude and latitude for all I care...

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:33 pm

That's about the 2,000th story exactly like this I've seen posted since Tuesday. At least all these attackers are polite enough to announce who they voted for right before screaming a slut and physically attacking people. I'm not saying this incident didn't happen, but people should probably stop with the hoaxes if they want anything to be taken seriously. That and infant geniuses all over the country are insanely in tune with today's politics

:lol:

https://twitter.com/JAMESAKERS1/status/ ... 3169544192
Last edited by NailedPenguin on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:33 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Lightly encouraging signs coming out of that Trump-Obama meeting :thumb:

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Shad is on an editing his own posts tear right now, nearly every post :pop:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:40 pm

That's a new one. For all your railing about the elites, you seem to be in favor of removing electoral power from the populace any way you can.

Or is this just you pining for the dear old 1700s?
It's not really "new". I've advocated returning back to the previous order regarding the 17th Amendment before here, and on LGP.

There is a difference between "railing about the elites" (whatever that means) and understanding the wisdom of not placing lots of power in the mob.

Take some time and go read Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France for more.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:43 pm

Won't people be disenfranchised by having to turn on the set or access the internet...?
My man...