Michael Savage
5%
Other
20%

Total votes: 61
dodint

Clinton v. Trump - 2016 Election Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 pm

Term limits. You have X amount of time to get something accomplished and then it's right to the glue factory...
Term limits, like voter id, seems like a good idea on the surface but I want knowledgeable experienced people serving. It's up to the voters to replace them.
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but how could voter id laws be a bad thing?
Free IDs are too expensive for poor black people to obtain.

See how silly it sounds when you say it plainly? That is the actual reason people think Voter ID is harmful.

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Term limits. You have X amount of time to get something accomplished and then it's right to the glue factory...
Term limits, like voter id, seems like a good idea on the surface but I want knowledgeable experienced people serving. It's up to the voters to replace them.

See how silly it sounds when you say it plainly? That is the actual reason people think Voter ID is harmful.
It's amazing how silly something sounds when you simplify it that far.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Source of the post It's amazing how silly something sounds when you simplify it that far.
Perhaps. I believe saying that a demographic of people are too ill equipped and incapable to do something that fundamental is insulting, but somehow it gets turned around.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 pm

I oppose putting restrictions/conditions on Constitutional rights. Same reason I oppose gun control legislation.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Same.

Voter ID isn't a restriction, though. It actually makes everyone's vote more valuable as it decreases the chances valid votes are diluted. Why do you hate democracy?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:19 pm

I don't fully recall... what is the process to register to vote? Additionally what was the process before the internet?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Before the internet? What do you mean?

(AFAIK you registered at the DMV and post office)

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Same.

Voter ID isn't a restriction, though. It actually makes everyone's vote more valuable as it decreases the chances valid votes are diluted. Why do you hate democracy?
But the frauds voter ids would help prevent make up like 5% of voter fraud. It's making a bigger impact in people who can vote being able to, then preventing other fraud.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:25 pm

I don't fully recall... what is the process to register to vote? Additionally what was the process before the internet?
State: Pennsylvania

1. Get the voter registration form
Pick up the registration form at your county elections office

2. Fill out the form
Step 1 · Provide your name

Step 2 · Check the boxes to indicate you're a US citizen and will be 18 on election day, Nov 8

Step 3 · Check the box to indicate if you're registering for the first time, changing your name, changing your address, or changing your political party

Step 4 · Provide your birthday (required) and gender, phone number, email, and race (all optional)

Step 5 · Provide your street address and county, or check the box if you don't have a street address

If you don’t have a street address, use the map on the next page of the form to show where you live
Step 6 · Provide your mailing address, if different from your street address

Step 7 · Provide your driver’s license number, state ID card number, or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number, or check the box to indicate that you don't have any of these

Step 8 · Provide your political party or fill in the box to indicate that you aren't a member of a party

Step 9 · Check the box if you’ll need help voting, and indicate the type of help you'll need

Step 10 · If you're changing your name or address, provide your old name or address and Pennsylvania voter number if you have it

Step 11 · Sign the declaration, print your name, and provide the date

Step 12 · If someone helped you with the form, provide their name, address, phone number, and signature

Step 13 · Check the box if you want to volunteer at a voting location on Election Day, Nov 8

3. Return the form

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Source of the post It's making a bigger impact in people who can vote being able to, then preventing other fraud.
Call me a cynic, but I don't believe any civic minded person with a genuine desire to vote also can't figure out how to get their free ID. It makes no sense at all.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Source of the post It's making a bigger impact in people who can vote being able to, then preventing other fraud.
Call me a cynic, but I don't believe any civic minded person with a genuine desire to vote also can't figure out how to get their free ID. It makes no sense at all.
I will never show an ID to vote. If they ever pass it again in PA, I'll refuse, be turned away, and sue.

When they were doing the 'practice run' where poll workers were to ask for ID but not demand it, I politely refused.

And I do this precisely because I do consider myself 'civic minded'
Last edited by Willie Kool on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:29 pm

The only reason I ask what the process is to vote is I wonder why that's not enough? Or, if the voter ID folk would like, when you go to register to vote, give a person an ID when they register and grandfather in those that are already registered... but then again, I'm not the crew that would rather a certain subset of the population not vote. :slug:

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Voter IDs laws are quite clearly put forth to disenfranchise people who don't vote Republican, not to actually prevent voter fraud. If you want prevent voter fraud you discuss absentee ballots.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:32 pm

And saying they aren't doing a good job now doesn't mean new members every 4 or 6 years would do better.

They really couldn't do any **** ing worse.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:32 pm

And you'd lose. But hey, you'd feel real good about it.

I took the Nuge bait just for the sake of arguing. VID laws are being struck down left and right so you've got your result anyway, it's just fun to spar on it.

People clinging to the glory of their ignorance will get left behind by an ever progressing society. I'm not going out of my way to hold them down, but I'm not breaking a sweat dragging them along either.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Source of the post If you want prevent voter fraud you discuss absentee ballots.
You want to disenfranchise overseas military voters? How DARE you!

(I agree, fwiw)

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 pm

I will never show an ID to vote. If they ever pass it again in PA, I'll refuse, be turned away, and sue.

When they were doing the 'practice run' where poll workers were to ask for ID but not demand it, I politely refused.

I think I'll try that next time I buy beer.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 pm

People clinging to the glory of their ignorance will get left behind by an ever progressing society.
As opposed to those clinging to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 pm

:face: You're new here.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 pm

I think I'll try that next time I buy beer.
Last I checked, 'buying beer' is not a Constitutional right.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 pm

And you'd lose. But hey, you'd feel real good about it.

I took the Nuge bait just for the sake of arguing. VID laws are being struck down left and right so you've got your result anyway, it's just fun to spar on it.

People clinging to the glory of their ignorance will get left behind by an ever progressing society. I'm not going out of my way to hold them down, but I'm not breaking a sweat dragging them along either.
It is hilarious that they are basically saying that people are too stupid or poor to get a free ID.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Sure. I have extreme antipathy for those that are willfully, gleefully ignorant. I downright loathe them.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:40 pm

On what grounds would you sue?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:41 pm

14th Amendment violation is my guess. Equal protection to do whatever I want...etc.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 pm

Well, any number of VID laws have been thrown out in the courts...