slappybrown

Clinton v. Trump - 2016 Election Thread

Postby slappybrown » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:24 am

Ok, we're good.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:35 am

http://nypost.com/2016/09/27/trumps-deb ... upporters/
His supporters should be furious with him, and so should the public in general. By performing this incompetently, by refusing to prepare properly for this exchange, by not learning enough to put meat on the bones of his populist case against Clinton, he displayed nothing but contempt for the people who have brought him this far — and for the American people who are going to make this momentous decision on Nov. 8.
:thumb:
Please.

You got exactly what you voted for. The only difference was that there was only one other candidate on stage to dilute his shitty shittiness, and that's not enough to make his snake oil potable.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:36 am

His supporters should be furious with him, and so should the public in general. By performing this incompetently, by refusing to prepare properly for this exchange, by not learning enough to put meat on the bones of his populist case against Clinton, he displayed nothing but contempt for the people who have brought him this far — and for the American people who are going to make this momentous decision on Nov. 8.
Please.

You got exactly what you voted for. The only difference was that there was only one other candidate on stage to dilute his shitty shittiness, and that's not enough to make his snake oil potable.

Doubt this debate will move the polls much.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:38 am

Please.

Yeah, this take is very late. Those still waiting for the "pivot" are being willfully ignorant.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:39 am

and it still **** angers me that we have to deal with this ****. Even if Gary Johnson is as lame as it gets, it'd be nice to see him and Stein up on the podium being able to lessen the crazy up there

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:39 am

I just consider my job to be America collectively thanking me for my service.
Thank you for your employment.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:41 am

Please.

The debates rarely move the needle in a significant way.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 am

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:50 am

I can't imagine how Cruz came to the decision to announce he was voting for Trump. Even if he did vote for him, stating his intention publicly absolutely gutted any capital he earned from his convention shenanigans. He put all his eggs in the Trump-will-lose-in-November basket, and now he's stating his intention to help him win. The only thing I can think of is that he got assurances that he won't be primaried in two years.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:51 am

Please.

But when they are significant (Reagan v. Bush in '80, GWB v. Gore in '00) they are very significant.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:51 am

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:53 am

Please.

It will take a couple days for real scientific polls to show any effect. The_Donald trolls were out in full brigade mode in online polls regarding who won last night's debate.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:54 am

Please.

But when they are significant (Reagan v. Bush in '80, GWB v. Gore in '00) they are very significant.

Yeah, but these two are highly disliked. I don't remember that being the case for those.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 am

I can't imagine how Cruz came to the decision to announce he was voting for Trump. Even if he did vote for him, stating his intention publicly absolutely gutted any capital he earned from his convention shenanigans. He put all his eggs in the Trump-will-lose-in-November basket, and now he's stating his intention to help him win. The only thing I can think of is that he got assurances that he won't be primaried in two years.
Priebus threatened him with the (political)death penalty.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Now, whether that was Russia, whether that was China, whether it was another country, we don't know, because the truth is, under President Obama we've lost control of things that we used to have control over. We came in with an internet, we came up with the internet. And I think Secretary Clinton and myself would agree very much, when you look at what ISIS is doing with the internet, they're beating us at our own game. ISIS. So we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is a, it is a huge problem.

I have a son. He's 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers, it's unbelievable. The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. And maybe it's hardly doable. But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing, but that's true throughout our whole governmental society. We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester, and certainly cyber is one of them.
You could attribute that to Sarah Palin and no one would question you.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:05 pm

It will take a couple days for real scientific polls to show any effect. The_Donald trolls were out in full brigade mode in online polls regarding who won last night's debate.
The polls have been very volatile this cycle, I think this will have a noticeable impact. The polls have been incredibly responsive to media coverage and the current news cycle. I still think there's a cap on support for Trump and also that his voters are much more enthusiastic than Clinton supporters. For example, one Florida poll that showed Trump with a lead with "likely" voters, meaning people that responded to the poll were only counted if they were 90% likely to vote in the election. I tend to think a lot of polls are actually under estimating voter turnout and votes for Clinton.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:06 pm

I think the charge of being a blood sucking lawyer is still on the table.

Any defense on that?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:07 pm

You left out the funniest part
"She's saying Russia, Russia, Russia. Maybe it was. It could be Russia but it could be China, it could be lots of people. It could be somebody that sits on their bed that weighs 400 pounds. You don't know who broke into DNC."

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Now, whether that was Russia, whether that was China, whether it was another country, we don't know, because the truth is, under President Obama we've lost control of things that we used to have control over. We came in with an internet, we came up with the internet. And I think Secretary Clinton and myself would agree very much, when you look at what ISIS is doing with the internet, they're beating us at our own game. ISIS. So we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is a, it is a huge problem.

I have a son. He's 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers, it's unbelievable. The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. And maybe it's hardly doable. But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing, but that's true throughout our whole governmental society. We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester, and certainly cyber is one of them.
You could attribute that to Sarah Palin and no one would question you.
Here's another good bit of nonsense from last night.

They are going to expand their companies and do a tremendous job. I'm getting rid of the great thing for the wealthy, it's a great thing for the middle class and for companies to expand and when these people are going to put billions and billions of dollars into companies and when they are going to bring $2.5 trillion back from overseas where they can't bring the money back because politicians like Secretary Clinton won't allow them to bring the money back because the taxes are so onerous and the bureaucratic red tape, it's so bad.

So what they are doing is leaving our country and, believe it or not, they are leaving because taxes are too high and because some of them have lots of money outside of our country and instead of bringing it back and putting the money to work because they can't work out a deal and everybody agrees it should be brought back, instead of that, they are leaving our country to get their money because they can't bring their money back into our country because of bureaucratic red tape, because they can't get together. Because we have a president that can't sit them around a table and get them to approve something, and here's the thing, Republicans and Democrats agree that this should be done. $2.5 trillion.

I happen to think it's double that. It's probably $5 trillion that we can't bring into our country, Lester, and with a little leadership, you'd get it in here very quickly and it could be put to use on the inner cities and lots of other things, and it would be beautiful. But we have no leadership. And honestly, that starts with Secretary Clinton.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Cyber is a huge problem

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:12 pm

A yuge problem.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:15 pm

I'm posting this again, because it really is an interesting read on Trumps speaking

http://theweek.com/articles/651416/trump-glossary

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:16 pm

and it still **** angers me that we have to deal with this ****. Even if Gary Johnson is as lame as it gets, it'd be nice to see him and Stein up on the podium being able to lessen the crazy up there
If I were Johnson or Stein, I'd be trying to schedule a debate on a network with each other and act as civil and professional as possible. Try to act as completely opposite of this mess as possible, just to increase their name recognition. Both seem pretty content to take a back seat to this circus though.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:19 pm

I'm posting this again, because it really is an interesting read on Trumps speaking

http://theweek.com/articles/651416/trump-glossary
Yeah, this is a real gem:
In Palm Beach, Florida, tough community, a brilliant community, a wealthy community, probably the wealthiest community there is in the world, I opened a club, and really got great credit for it.

No discrimination against African- Americans, against Muslims, against anybody. And it's a tremendously successful club. And I'm so glad I did it. And I have been given great credit for what I did. And I'm very, very proud of it. And that's the way I feel. That is the true way I feel.
Does he really think he deserves credit for not discriminating against people?