Non-Military Aviation

DigitalGypsy66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:37 pm

I'd faint, TBH.

I almost paid $250 for a 30 minute ride in a B17 about twelve years ago, but still hadn't found a job and was getting ready to start paying off grad school loans. The plane came back a couple of years ago and now charges double. Ugh.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 pm

A 1-hour ride in a P-51 costs $4,000.

They say that to join the CAF, you have to be one of the 'three M's'..... maintainer, monkey, or millionaire.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Mentor Pilot's latest video is all about go-arounds.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 19, 2019 1:00 pm

JUST IN: The plane reportedly fell into the sea minutes after taking off from the Roatán Airport. Four Americans were killed in the crash.
https://t.co/MHfrfg98SL

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Fri May 24, 2019 9:03 pm

The joint venture that would give Boeing effective control over Embraer's commercial operations appears to be moving forward. The parties have announced that the name for the company will be "Boeing Brasil Commercial." Boeing would have majority control over the venture. Boeing Brasil Commercial would include the Embraer E-Jet and upcoming E-Jet E2 families, but I think Embraer would retain control over the older/smaller Embraer ERJ family. I don't believe those are still being made for commercial flights, but the ERJs are the basis of the Embraer Legacy bizjets. I wonder if they will rename the E-Jets to the B-Jets or something similar. Or they could give them something similar to the Boeing numbering scheme. 606? 808?

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Fri May 31, 2019 10:11 pm

Emirates is launching the world’s shortest A380 route: Dubai to Muscat, Oman, which is a distance of just 340 km or 211 mi. That's a flight distance that is substantially shorter than the total length of all of the wiring that goes into an A380 (approximately 530 km).

For many years Japan Air Lines and All Nippon Airways operated special short-range versions of the Boeing 747 on high-density routes like Tokyo to Osaka, but even those flights were longer than Dubai to Muscat. Those A380 flights are going to eat a ton of fuel. Fuel economy for turbofan commercial aircraft generally improves with altitude, and I bet those A380s aren't going to get very high at all before need to start descending again.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:31 pm

The shortest commercial flight I've ever flown was PHL - DCA, which is only like 150 miles. The max altitude we achieved was barely FL 240 before we began our descent. We didn't even have any time cruising at that level; it was like the flight was just one big ballistic arc.

Freddy Rumsen

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:32 pm

I flew from BWI to Dulles one time. I think we ended up just taxing down 95 to 495 to 66.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Ha! I've seen that before, the DWI - IAD route. I guess it makes sense for some business commuters? That's got to be like a ten minute flight. I mean, at least Dulles is on the other side of the District. Which that makes me think........... if you are flying that route to do business in DC, isn't your drive time from IAD into Washington going to be about the same as driving from Baltimore to DC?

The shortest routes I've seen out here are LAX - SBA, and LAX - SAN, which are each a fair bit longer than flying from the Ravens to the Redskins.

Freddy Rumsen

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:48 pm

I did it when I flew to California. Still have no idea who booked that flight through the USMC travel office. It must have saved 75 cents versus driving from Ft. Meade to Dulles.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Wait..... isn't Ft Meade sort of halfway between Baltimore and DC??

Freddy Rumsen

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Yes

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:39 pm

During my Coast Guard days, I remember flying from Gitmo to meet the USCGC Eagle in Tampa. I flew from Guantanamo to Jacksonville, Jacksonville to Miami, and Miami to Tampa :lol: That was a weird day.

Sailing the Eagle for five weeks was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Shortest commercial flight I've ever taken was Rochester to Utica, which is about 120 miles by air. That was an emergency trip for my grandfather's funeral. It was USAir mainline from PIT to Rochester and a USAir Express Beech 1900D from Rochester to Utica. I recall the flight being about 25 minutes. I'm pretty sure it was one of those "Essential Air Services" routes where the fedgov subsidizes flights to out-of-the-way rural airports. That's the same reason one can fly from PIT to Frankin, Altoona, and Morgantown, which I'm pretty sure are flights of 100 miles or less.

The Utica airport was closed a couple years later in favor of the county airport authority taking over the former Griffiss Air Force Base in Rome, so I can also say I've flown commercially into an airport that no longer exists.

dodint

Non-Military Aviation

Postby dodint » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:02 am

During my Coast Guard days, I remember flying from Gitmo to meet the USCGC Eagle in Tampa. I flew from Guantanamo to Jacksonville, Jacksonville to Miami, and Miami to Tampa :lol: That was a weird day.

Sailing the Eagle for five weeks was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Very cool.

DigitalGypsy66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:47 am

I’ve flown FLO-CLT plenty of times, and it’s 118 miles by car between the two. No time for complimentary beverage service.

The issue is that I live 40 minutes from FLO and 90 from CLT. So unless it’s cheaper, I usually fly directly out of CLT. Yes, I’ve had flights where it was cheaper with the short hop from FLO-CLT than it was from CLT to my final destination. The FLO flights also get canceled a lot, and as American is the only service into Florence, you get screwed and stuck in Charlotte from time to time.

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:10 am

From our home in Lancaster County, it's about 90 minutes to BWI, and 60 minutes to PHL. I haven't been able to justify the additional 30 minute drive, and I doubt I am going to find a better deal at BWI. Plus, I've mastered the art of familial flying out of PHL (Drop the wife/daughter up at the gate with whatever bag is being checked, park in the economy parking as close to the terminal as humanly possible, get out and rather than wait for the shtty shuttle bus just walk to the terminal with your roll-ons.

This plan doesn't work as well when you are flying out of Terminal B vs. E :lol:

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:28 am

Only an insane person would try and justify driving further to BWI simply to avoid PHL - which has actually gotten better the last five years. My only issue with it now is them herding all non-precheck people to a single terminal entrance in B/C... which is why we’re getting pre-check next year.

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:44 am

Only an insane person would try and justify driving further to BWI simply to avoid PHL - which has actually gotten better the last five years. My only issue with it now is them herding all non-precheck people to a single terminal entrance in B/C... which is why we’re getting pre-check next year.
Yup, since we got Pre, PHL has gotten even better. We used to park at SmartPark and take the shuttle over, but I can nearly always find a spot just inside the entrance gate in the economy lot.

The dining options still suck mostly though.

RonnieFranchise

Non-Military Aviation

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 am

I once flew from PIT to Plattsburgh, NY via ALB with a stop in Saranac Lake. It was on a Continental Express (Commutair) Beech 1900- I was the only passenger.

The last hop from SLK to PLB is 42 miles. It was pretty cool having the plane to myself and was a beautiful day of flying over the Adirondacks. PLB is now closed,

When I arrived there was nobody at the Hertz counter- the clerk was outside scraping and warming up my car. That's service!

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:35 am

I’ve always parked at the economy lot, and generally find a spot pretty close to one of the bus stops. I’ve got it down to where we’re one of the first five spots that the bus drops you off on the return trip, which works out well.

As for dining, it has gotten better. Many gates now have tables where you can order from iPads and have food brought right to you. Note that I can only speak to the American terminals.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:14 pm

During my Coast Guard days, I remember flying from Gitmo to meet the USCGC Eagle in Tampa. I flew from Guantanamo to Jacksonville, Jacksonville to Miami, and Miami to Tampa
What the actual..... :lol:

That's literally flying twice the required distance.

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:16 pm

During my Coast Guard days, I remember flying from Gitmo to meet the USCGC Eagle in Tampa. I flew from Guantanamo to Jacksonville, Jacksonville to Miami, and Miami to Tampa
What the actual..... :lol:

That's literally flying twice the required distance.
Military efficiency

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Boeing on Sunday said some of its 737 planes, including many 737 Max aircraft, may have faulty parts on their wings. It's the latest problem Boeing faces as it tries to get its most important and popular airplane, the grounded 737 Max, back in the air.

Working with the Federal Aviation Administration, Boeing said it has reached out to airlines that fly 737 planes, advising them to inspect their slat track assemblies on Max and NG aircraft. The 737 NG series includes the 737-600, -700, -800 and -900 planes.
I imagine that being an engineer at Boeing right now is incredibly difficult.

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 am

Boeing has run out of space for its grounded MAX fleet, and is now parking them in an employee parking lot.