Non-Military Aviation

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 am

The modern glider, helicopter, and Spruce Goose look interesting. I may install it again just to play around with them for a bit.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:29 pm

There was a playset in my apartment complex playground that I used to pretend was the Cutter's Goose from "Tales Of The Gold Monkey". So for nostalgia reasons I would play just to fly the Grumman Goose flying boat.

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:04 pm

It just doesn't look like it should fly.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:09 pm

This from an A380 fanboi. lol

;)

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:12 pm

That, too, doesn't look like it should fly. This isn't Highlander, MFer, there can be more than one.

RonnieFranchise

Non-Military Aviation

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 am

Beveridge

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Beveridge » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:47 am

Crushed by airplane. Not in my top 10 of ways to go.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:31 pm

...Cutter's Goose from "Tales Of The Gold Monkey"...
This was referenced in the latest episode of the new season of Archer. :thumb:

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:34 pm

Re Air Portugal

WTF was a security guard tooling around the active on a motorcycle during operations???

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:48 pm

I'm going with, "That happened in Africa."

dodint

Non-Military Aviation

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:50 pm

I was recently reading a book about ferry piloting...pilotage(?). There was a story about an African runway that had a road that crossed it. At least there was a bollard system in place.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:59 pm

The most famous example of the "road across runway" would probably be Gibraltar:

A tunnel under the airport has been under construction for years and is now expected to open by the end of this year or early 2023.

dodint

Non-Military Aviation

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:53 pm

I live within the class d airspace of KLBE and right below where many planes make their right turn onto base. I just sat down on my front porch with a bowl of cantaloupe and a book to unwind for a bit before making dinner.

A B-29 (N529B) inbound from Niagara just flew overhead, did a 360 hold around the property, then landed runway 6. Runway 24 is the normal active so that in and of itself was neat.

That was cool to watch. I knew that flying museum was coming in town sometime this year, tickets are sold out, but had no idea today was the day.

DigitalGypsy66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:21 pm

I haven't had the privilege to see a B-29 come in for approach, but living near CHS I did see B-17s come in a couple of times. It obviously has a different, very distinctive sound that's pretty awesome to hear up close. I can't imagine being on the receiving end of a sky full of either of those planes...that would be scary.

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:22 pm

A fellow cantaloupe fan. :thumb:

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:34 pm

The annual Planes of Fame airshow in Chino is great for that stuff. Warbirds galore. One year I think they had 13 P-51s alone. Excellent.

Have only ever seen an airborne '29 from a couple miles distance. (One spent a week at KVNY when we lived in Encino)

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:01 pm

Cessna taking off from 36R on the west side of the Orlando airport was told by ATC to turn east, right into the path of a Delta 757 taking off from 35L on the east side of the airport. If that had been me in the Cessna, I'd definitely need some new upholstery, either because I crapped myself or because the suction of my butthole ripped a hole in my seat.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Wow. That's............... not sure what's going on there, is that just an errant ATC call? (I'm not listening to audio)

We have a similar runway config at LAX. (4 parallel runways in two pairs on either side of the main terminal buildings) In normal ops, departures are form the inboard runways, arrivals are accepted on the outboard runways. So parallel departures normally have a good 1.5 miles between them at liftoff. It's interesting here that the Cessna is departing the outboard runway on its side of the field, which (I think) means ATC had it cross the centerline of two active runways over the field. Usually don't see clearing turns here until an aircraft is a good three or four miles away, well off the coast. The only airport I've ever left with a clearing turn over the field was SFO, where the departure runways are only like 200' apart, and they point directly at KOAK traffic across the Bay. But even at that, the turn is away from the parallel runway, not across it.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:15 pm

Boom Aviation—the supersonic startup that has orders from American and United—just had Rolls Royce withdraw as its chosen engine manufacturer, and other engine companies are also expressing that they have no interest in the project.

The only major engine manufacturer that hasn't said "nope" is Pratt & Whitney, but I doubt Pratt is interested when it has so many orders for its family of PW1000G engines, which power the Airbus A320neo family (as one of two engine options), the Airbus A220, and the Embraer E-Jet E2 family. I see Rolls pulling out as basically killing Boom.

The problem is that supersonic flight needs a low-to-medium-bypass jet engine, basically something like a modernized version of the Pratt & Whitney JT3D that powered the Boeing 707. But that's the exact opposite development direction of modern turbofan engines for other commercial aircraft; the trend is for high-bypass engines, and the higher bypass ratio the more efficient.* Modern jet engines are more like ducted fan engines than ever before, and the vast majority of thrust is produced by the fan and not the core of the engine. But those big fans just don't work at supersonic speeds, and that's why fighter jets use low-bypass engines. But those military engines also guzzle fuel, so they wouldn't work either. No one seems to be interested in spending billions to develop a new engine that wouldn't really work for anything other than a supersonic civilian aircraft.

* The bypass ratio of a turbofan engine is the ratio between how much air flows through the engine core versus how much air (pushed by the big fan at the front of the engine) bypasses the core and blows directly out the back of the engine. A 10:1 bypass ratio, for example, means that 10 kg of air passes through the bypass duct for every 1 kg of air passing through the core. A fighter engine like the Pratt & Whitney F135 used in the F-35 has a bypass ratio of 0.57:1, which means that roughly twice as much air goes through the core than goes around the core. That means the core produces most of the engine's thrust. By comparison, the brand-new General Electric GE9X for the Boeing 777X has a bypass ratio of 9.9:1, which means that roughly 10 times more air goes around the core than through it, and the main fan produces the vast majority of the engine's thrust.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:29 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:05 am

That's interesting. I'm assuming these are broken parts/components that can't be fixed/replaced because of sanctions?

But what about a software lockout, due to the sanctions? Like Boeing could send a code to an airline (or planes owned by a Russian corporate entity) that disables the GPS or autopilot. That's scary. My Honda Pilot has Lojack installed, ostensibly as a "safety" measure, but it can be used to disable a car (and locate it for the repo man) should I not make payments on it.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:30 pm

Interesting article explaining why aircraft that divert may not necessarily go to the closest airport.

‘Why Don’t They Just Land?’: Why the Best Diversion Airport May Not Be the Closest
https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/why- ... e-closest/

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:14 am

Before even clicking on it, the most obvious answer is the amount of fuel in the tank. Gotta burn it off first.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:29 am

Final report issued on the crash of the Sriwijaya Air 737-500 that crashed shortly after takeoff in Indonesia in January 2021. Here's what happened:

- On 9 January 2021, a Boeing 737-500 aircraft, registration PK-CLC, was on a scheduled domestic flight, from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport at Jakarta, Java, to Supadio International Airport at Pontianak, Borneo.

- During climb after takeoff, the pilots turned on the autopilot (AP) and entered: (1) a heading change for a right turn and (2) a change in climb rate that required less engine thrust. The autothrottle (AT) system in the 737 physically moves the two thrust levers for the engines. One can look down and see the AT system moving the thrust levers forward and backward when the AP is changing the level of engine thrust.

- The FDR recorded that the left thrust lever moved backward and the left engine thrust decreased, but the right engine remained at its climb-power setting, resulting in an asymmetric thrust condition. The investigation concluded that the AT system was unable to move the right thrust lever due to binding within the system. Because the AT for the right engine was stuck and the AP was trying to maintain a certain speed, the left engine rolled back to something like 35% thrust while the right was still at climb power.

- The maintenance records showed that a sticking AT had been reported on that aircraft 65 times since 2013 and the problem was unsolved and still existed on the accident flight.

- As the thrust asymmetry became greater, the aircraft starting turning to the left instead of to the right as commanded by the AP. Eventually, the AP could not longer keep the aircraft under control and shut off with an alert. The pilots were not able to recover from the upset condition. In fact, the made control inputs that rolled the aircraft father to the left. They failed to regain control of the aircraft, and it impacted the ocean.

- The pilots, who were apparently not trained on asymmetric-thrust incidents, did not properly detect/correct what was going on. The report finds that inadequate upset-prevention and recovery training contributed to the inability of the pilots to prevent and recover from the upset condition.

The report finds that the factors causing the accident were:

(1) Maintenance did not fix the sticky AT even after multiple reports.

(2) The sticky AT caused a major thrust imbalance, which caused the aircraft to turn in the opposite direction from where the AP was trying to turn.

(3) The pilots did not detect the major thrust imbalance, which was turning the aircraft to the left instead of to the right.

(4) The aircraft turning to the left instead of to the right while the control yoke deflected to the right might have the created assumption that the aircraft was rolling excessively to the right, which may explain why the pilots turned the yoke left rather than farther to the right to correct the left turn.

(5) The pilots' training program did not ensure that the pilots had enough knowledge to prevent and recover from an asymmetric-thrust upset.

MR25

Non-Military Aviation

Postby MR25 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:04 pm