Non-Military Aviation

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Southwest finally announced their future routes to Hawai’i: Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego and San Jose.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:16 pm

The NTSB just released some tower video from the near-miss at SFO where an Air Canada A320 nearly landed on a taxiway (and the four aircraft waiting on that taxiway). The San Jose Mercury News has helpfully zoomed in the video. Yeah, that was a little closer than I thought it was...

:shock:

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Thu May 03, 2018 7:37 pm

The NTSB has opened the full docket for this incident, including the statements from all of the other pilots. Multiple pilots laud the actions of the Captain of UL1—the 787 first in line—who called on the radio that Air Canada was lined up on the taxiway.

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/61000-61499 ... 614634.pdf

Multiple pilots also call out SFO for the fact that at the time of the incident (and due to a break being taken by a second controller), there was only one controller on duty, who was handling tower and ground for both arrivals and departures. :o

dodint

Non-Military Aviation

Postby dodint » Thu May 03, 2018 7:45 pm

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Speaking of that, if I had been one of those pilots, I'm pretty sure that "and then I crapped my pants" would have been in my report, especially if I had been in the United 787 that was third in line. If the Air Canada had continued on its glideslope, it would have gone right through that 787's windshield.

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:57 am

Question. Typically, do commercial pilots all go through ATC when it comes to communicating with other planes? I'm sure there is an emergency channel, but didn't know if it would have been an option for the 787 pilot.

Also, ONE controller? Good lord

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:58 am

Question. Typically, do commercial pilots all go through ATC when it comes to communicating with other planes? I'm sure there is an emergency channel monitored by all aircraft, but didn't know if it would have been an option for the 787 pilot.

Also, ONE controller? Good lord

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:07 am

It's not uncommon for pilots to talk to each other, particularly in uncontrolled airspace out over the middle of the ocean. Usually it's limited to official business; turbulence, winds aloft, etc. But it is not routine for ground traffic to talk to arrivals or departures. That's the most congested space, and they kind of don't want the wildcard element of pilots freelancing. Remember also that ground, departures, and arrivals are each on different ATC freqs.

If you fly United, ch 9 of the in-flight entertainment system is cockpit ATC. So you can hear what your crew is up to.

RonnieFranchise

Non-Military Aviation

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun May 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Booked my first flight on Alaska for later this year, PIT-SEA-LAS. Not the best routing and could pay to go direct but it was what I could get with the AA points I had.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:13 am

AK isn't bad, but I'm bummed they're gonna be the the controlling entity after the merger with Virgin America.

RonnieFranchise

Non-Military Aviation

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon May 07, 2018 6:30 am

Yep

Never been more bummed about something airline related than when Republic bought Midwest and proceeded to wipe them off the planet.

I ised to route theu MKE just for the more comfortable seats (and opportunity to buy cheese on the layover)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 14, 2018 7:44 am

On-and-off search efforts have failed to locate Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 that disappeared with 239 people aboard more than 4 years ago. Now an investigation by an Australian TV news program suggests the pilot deliberately crashed in the Indian Ocean.
https://cbsn.ws/2Kl5MYw

DigitalGypsy66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 am

Co-pilot sucked partially out of Sichuan Airlines A319: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... um=twitter

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Oops.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Who cleared: 1) the Turkish aircraft to push; and 2) the Asiana jet to taxi?

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm

I looked up the incident. The Turkish was actually arriving and not departing, and there was supposedly some problem at the gate. Not sure why it stopped as far out as it did.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Fri May 18, 2018 5:25 pm

The aircraft down in Havana is a 38-year-old Boeing 737-200 flown and owned by Mexican charter airline Global Aerolineas Damojh and wet-leased to Cubana Airlines. A "wet lease" means that the lessor provides a complete package of aircraft, crew, maintenance, insurance, etc. to the leasing airline, so the crew on this flight would have been from Global Aerolineas Damojh.* Cubana owns a number of Antonov An-158 airliners that have been grounded due to "technical issues," so it probably wet-leased this aircraft from Global as a fill-in. The BBC is reporting only three survivors. The aircraft was originally delivered to Piedmont Airlines in
1979 and flew for USAir after Piedmont merged into USAir in 1989. USAir stopped using it in 1997, and it looks like it's changed hands quite a few times since then:

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... s/O6x1UMMJ

*A "dry lease," by contrast, includes only the aircraft, and the leasing airline is responsible for all crew, maintenance, insurance, etc. Under either form of lease, the leasing airline provides the fuel.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Company in Cuba plane crash had received safety complaints
Field told AP that the Boeing 737 with tail number XA-UHZ had been flying four routes a week between Georgetown, Guyana, and Havana starting in October 2016. Cubans do not need visas to travel to Guyana, and the route was popular with Cubans working as “mules” to bring suitcases crammed with goods back home to the island, where virtually all consumer products are scarce and more expensive than in most other countries.

After Easy Sky canceled a series of flights in spring 2017, leaving hundreds of Cubans stranded at Guyana’s main airport, authorities began inspecting the plane and discovered that crews were loading excessive amounts of baggage, leading to concerns the aircraft could be dangerously overburdened and unbalanced. In one instance, Guyanese authorities discovered suitcases stored in the plane’s toilet.

“This is the same plane and tail number,” Guyanese Infrastructure Minister David Patterson said. He and other Guyanese authorities said they did not immediately know if the crew suspended last May was the same one that died in Friday’s crash. Damojh operates three Boeing 737s, two 737-300s and the 737-201 that crashed Friday, according to Mexican officials.
Ovidio Martinez Lopez, a pilot for Cubana for over 40 years until he retired six years ago, wrote in a post on Facebook that a plane rented from the Mexican company by Cubana briefly dropped off radar while over the city of Santa Clara in 2010 or 2011, triggering an immediate response by Cuban aviation security officials. As a result, Cuban officials suspended a captain and co-pilot for “serious technical knowledge issues,” and Cuba’s Aviation Security authority issued a formal recommendation that Cubana stop renting planes and crews from Damojh, Martinez wrote.

“They are many flight attendants and security personnel who refused to fly with this airline,” Martinez wrote. “On this occasion, the recommendation was overlooked and they rented from them again.”
Yikes.

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:17 pm

http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/drun ... ght-285930
Haag, drinking double vodka and tonics aboard Flight F9864, told a woman seated next to him that he was traveling to South Carolina to meet with an old girlfriend and was “physically excited.” The woman said Haag pestered her with personal questions and kept looking at her “chest and legs as she was wearing a tank top and shorts.”

Haag, in a middle seat, then began to touch a second woman seated on his other side, according to an affidavit sworn by FBI Agent Timothy Smith. After first touching the sleeping woman’s fingers, Haag allegedly twice touched the woman’s legs, prompting her to yell “Stop touching me.” The woman then summoned a flight attendant, who moved Haag to a seat in the plane’s last row.

While in the rear of the aircraft, a third female passenger told the FBI, Haag removed his seatbelt “and started urinating on the seat in front of him.” As seen above, the passenger snapped a photo of Haag relieving himself. She then screamed for flight attendants, who responded by moving Haag to the front of the plane.
This guy is easy to find on FB, and apparently all of his posts are open to public commenting...there are some good trolling comments in there :lol:

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 pm

I wonder whether the urine smell would actually improve the experience of flying Frontier Airlines.

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:27 am

I wonder whether the urine smell would actually improve the experience of flying Frontier Airlines.
When we flew to New Orleans, we had a perfectly fine experience. That said, we did pay a bit more to sit up front (the stretch seating, I guess?), which made a huge difference I'm sure. There was a noticeable increase in comfort and legroom, and the price of upgrading to those seats is offset by the fact it includes the baggage fees.

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 am

There's a $29 fee in order to urinate on a seat with Frontier, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

RonnieFranchise

Non-Military Aviation

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed May 23, 2018 11:20 pm

When we flew to New Orleans, we had a perfectly fine experience. That said, we did pay a bit more to sit up front (the stretch seating, I guess?), which made a huge difference I'm sure. There was a noticeable increase in comfort and legroom, and the price of upgrading to those seats is offset by the fact it includes the baggage fees.
Flew Frontier to Vegas once, also up front and it was fine. They give quantity discount on booze and serve gin local to Colorado which was cool.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 am

The Dutch team investigating #MH17 concluded today that the Buk system came from Russia's 53rd Antiaircraft Missile Brigade. Here's their reconstruction of the shoot-down from last year.
(link: https://bit.ly/2LrAaCb) bit.ly/2LrAaCb

DigitalGypsy66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 am

The Dutch team investigating #MH17 concluded today that the Buk system came from Russia's 53rd Antiaircraft Missile Brigade. Here's their reconstruction of the shoot-down from last year.
(link: https://bit.ly/2LrAaCb) bit.ly/2LrAaCb
That's unreal. They actually have video footage of the missile system moving into the Ukraine and after the plane was shot down, showing one missile missing from the launcher.