Non-Military Aviation

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:31 pm

No idea. There weren't any details in the post about the flight.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 am

Tracked down the origin of the video. That is Santiago, Chile, on October 14, 2015. It was a Sky Airlines Airbus A319 (reg CC-AIC).

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=180383

The aircraft is still in service and has eight flights scheduled for December 11th.

Meanwhile, back at the maintenance hangar:
Mechanic 1: Hey, where did all of these extra screws come from?
Mechanic 2: What screws?
Mechanic 1: The ones over there, where we were checking the oil in that A319.
Mechanic 2: Oh, sh--

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 am

:lol:

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Ultimately, that's a fail on the pilot. Checking panels (especially on the nacelles) is part of the pre-flight walkaround.

Silentom

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Silentom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:29 pm

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:31 pm

That was a little underwhelming.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Georgia Power is reporting that the power failure at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson was caused by a fire in an underground substation, which may have also affected other substations feeding ATL. The estimate for getting the power back on is midnight eastern time. The tower isn't affected and aircraft are theoretically capable of taking off and landing, but with the ticketing systems down the airlines can't board passengers, so the only aircraft that seem to be moving are cargo and general-aviation flights. The computer systems for Customs and Border Protection are also down, which means all international flights to ATL are being diverted to other airports. It's a major poopshow down there.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Dec 17, 1903. It's been 114 years since Wright Brothers 1st powered flight. I met Orville - he was impressed we broke the sound barrier just 44 yrs later.
Chuck Yeager met Orville Wright.

Crazy.

https://twitter.com/GenChuckYeager/stat ... 7341649920

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Dec 17, 1903. It's been 114 years since Wright Brothers 1st powered flight. I met Orville - he was impressed we broke the sound barrier just 44 yrs later.

Crazy.

For me, it's not so much that they met, but the fact that Chuck Yeager was already a household name by the time Wright died.

shafnutz05

Non-Military Aviation

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Are all of Chuck's tweets actually him? It's insane how technologically up to speed he is on Twitter, and how much he interacts with people in the comments.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Non-Military Aviation

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:10 pm

I think it's a theme with some of the cheaper airlines.

When I flew to Tampa with Spirit last month, the first words I heard were "For those of you who said you would never fly again with Spirit, welcome back."

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Crazy.

Went from hot air balloons; to heavier-than-air machines; to flying off and on boats; to 400 mph in level flight; to supersonic manned rockets; to 2x speed of sound rockets; to conventional aircraft with Mach 1 and Mach 2 performance; to manned space flight; to the SR-71 (which imo merits its own callout); to landing human beings on a celestial body; to the latter becoming so mundane it didn't even merit live TV coverage........... all in the space of a single human lifetime.

To me, that's the single most impressive sequence of advancement in human history.
Are all of Chuck's tweets actually him? It's insane how technologically up to speed he is on Twitter, and how much he interacts with people in the comments.
Yes, I do think Gen Yeager is personally responsible for his Twitter acct. He may dictate tweets to someone, but I believe his engagement is personal and in real time.

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down." Still my favorite fighter pilot quote.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Some industry news. The WSJ is reporting that Boeing is in talks with Embraer over a potential takeover, or at least a strategic joint venture. It's hard not to see that as a response to Airbus teaming up with Bombardier to produce the C-Series. Whether the Brazilian government would go for a sale is the tough question. Embraer used to be state-run, and when the Brazilian government privatized the company it retained a "Golden Share" that gives it veto power over a wide variety of subjects and transactions. It's highly unlikely that the Brazilian government would authorize an outright sale, but it may be willing to sign off on a lesser form of alliance.

Boeing has taken more hits from the trade dispute over the C-Series. First, it was no secret that Delta was soliciting offers for a major order of narrowbodies. Delta needed new aircraft to replace is remaining McDonnell Douglas fleet as well as its older 757s. That order has been won by Airbus; Delta ordered 100 A321neos. Considering Boeing is trying to block Delta's order of 75 Bombardier CS100s, it's not much of a surprise that Delta went with Airbus. In fact, all of Delta's new-aircraft orders in the last few years have been from Airbus (including orders for the A330neo and A350), and I doubt we will see any Boeing orders from Delta any time soon. That's a pretty big switch, since for years Delta was an all-Boeing shop (counting the MD aircraft as Boeing).

Second, Boeing also lost a huge Canadian order for F/A-18 Super Hornets. The Royal Canadian Air Force is preparing a large order for new fighter aircraft, but it was going to $5 billion worth of additional Super Hornets as interim aircraft. It canceled that order, and instead of new jets from Boeing the RCAF is going to buy used Hornets from the Australian Air Force. The RCAF also published the text of the request for proposals for the new fleet of fighters, and the RFP says that any proposer who is “responsible for harm to Canada’s economic interests” will be severely penalized. Everyone recognizes that language is aimed squarely at Boeing.

dodint

Non-Military Aviation

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 pm

I think it's a theme with some of the cheaper airlines.

When I flew to Tampa with Spirit last month, the first words I heard were "For those of you who said you would never fly again with Spirit, welcome back."
Speaking of, just booked a flight with SouthWest after pissing and moaning about them pretty bad earlier in the year. The ticket was $105, honestly, can't beat that. I just paid the stupid priority cattle car fee which should make it tolerable. ($120 total)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 am

We still have a few hours left in 2017, but here's something to celebrate: it appears nobody died in a passenger jet crash on a scheduled flight anywhere in the world this calendar year, a first in the jet age.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:35 pm

I am quite thankful for that.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:26 pm

I was just coming to post that. There were fatal crashes of smaller turboprop aircraft, and also some significant crashes of cargo jets (most notably the crash of a Turkish Boeing 747-400F freighter in Kyrgyzstan, which killed 4 crew and over 30 people on the ground), but there were no fatal crashes of any mainline jet passenger aircraft in 2017. Given that there are on average more than 100,000 flights worldwide every single day, that's a truly impressive achievement.

Also in aviation news:

Bird in Cockpit Prompts Delta Flight to Return to Detroit
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bird-promp ... o-detroit/

Not surprised the bird wanted to be inside the aircraft. It's f***ing cold out there.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Crossing threads
Birmingham only has a single runway, so if there's a crosswind there is no option but to deal with it.
The crazy crosswind landing I had at Narita was funny. One of the (increasingly sparse) perks of flying United is they have an ATC channel passengers can listen to. During decent and approach, every single pilot on channel was reporting excessively strong crosswinds. A few requested vectoring to an alternate runway, and the controllers were like, "Look, we have two runways, and they're parallel. Cleared to land."

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:49 pm

IIRC, Narita was always intended to have a third crosswind runway. If one looks at the site using Google Earth, there are a bunch of long taxiways to the southeast of the main terminals, and one of those taxiways was intended to be a third crosswind runway that would intersect 34L/16R near its south end. Construction has never proceeded because the local residents already fought tooth and nail to oppose the construction of the second runway (34R/16L), and that runway ended up being short because local property owners—including a farmer and a Shinto shrine—absolutely refused to give up their land. If you look at the south end of 34R/16L and follow the direction of the runway, you can clearly see where the runway is supposed to continue, and even see where the southern threshold of the runway should be (look for a huge painted "X"), but there's the farm and the Toho Shinto shrine smack in the middle.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Oh, that's interesting. That's kind of like Imola and the Hungaroring, where the land within the inner borders of the track itself are owned by private individuals. I think at Imola there's a small vineyard.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 pm

The shine in question (and a JAL Boeing 767):

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Looks like a very nice place for quiet reflection.

Shyster

Non-Military Aviation

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 pm

If it is a Shinto shrine (I think it is, based on the gate out front), I hope the kami enshrined there is the deity of earplugs—or something along those lines.

NTP66

Non-Military Aviation

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 am

I read about this in an article a while back, but actually hearing the story is even better.

tifosi77

Non-Military Aviation

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:46 pm

That's cut down from one of Mr Shul's public speeches. Seek out one of the full clips (they're about an hour long), because he's a remarkable human with an absolutely incredible and inspiring story.