TIL

shafnutz05

TIL

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:37 am

The Missouri is actually longer than the Mississippi.
:thumb:

Most people don't know that the headwaters of the Missouri are way out in western Montana. The Upper Missouri river valley is beautiful.

tjand72

TIL

Postby tjand72 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:47 pm

Electrocute is a portmanteau of electricity and execution.

Lemon Berry Lobster

TIL

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 am

People tend to use that word incorrectly. It is irritating.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

TIL

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:12 pm

The Greek name Αἰθιοπία (from Αἰθίοψ, Aithiops, 'an Ethiopian') is a compound word, derived from the two Greek words, from αἴθω + ὤψ (aitho "I burn" + ops "face").

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

TIL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:21 pm

legless lizards and snakes are two different things
Legless lizard may refer to any of several groups of lizards that have independently lost limbs or reduced them to the point of being of no use in locomotion.[1] It is the common name for the family Pygopodidae,[2] but often refers to other groups, such as limbless anguids, depending on the region of the world.[citation needed] These lizards are often distinguishable from snakes on the basis of one or more of the following characteristics: possessing eyelids, possessing external ear openings, lack of broad belly scales, notched rather than forked tongue, having two, more-or-less equal, lungs and/or having a very long tail (while snakes have a long body and short tail).[1]

Gaucho

TIL

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:16 pm

TIL snakes have tails.

willeyeam

TIL

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:27 pm

TIL snakes aren't only tails

Tomas

TIL

Postby Tomas » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan, was last month renamed "Nur-Sultan" in honor of their ex-President (and pretty much a dictator) Nursultan Nazarbayev who stepped down last month.

Related TIL - Nursultan Nazarbayev is no longer the President of Kazakhstan... :)

Gaucho

TIL

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan, was last month renamed "Nur-Sultan" in honor of their ex-President (and pretty much a dictator) Nursultan Nazarbayev who stepped down last month.

Related TIL - Nursultan Nazarbayev is no longer the President of Kazakhstan... :)
:shock:

shafnutz05

TIL

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Apparently Akohito abdicated the Chrysanthemum Throne yesterday due to old age and declining health, and is no longer the Emperor of Japan. He had been Emperor since January 1989, when he succeeded upon the death of his father, Hirohito. Many people don't realize Hirohito remained Emperor of Japan even after the end of World War II, and reigned for another 44 years. From December 1926 until yesterday, the only two Emperors of Japan were Hirohito and Akohito.

Emperor Naruhito, Akohito's son, is now on the throne.

Shyster

TIL

Postby Shyster » Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Apparently Akohito abdicated the Chrysanthemum Throne yesterday due to old age and declining health, and is no longer the Emperor of Japan. He had been Emperor since January 1989, when he succeeded upon the death of his father, Hirohito. Many people don't realize Hirohito remained Emperor of Japan even after the end of World War II, and reigned for another 44 years. From December 1926 until yesterday, the only two Emperors of Japan were Hirohito and Akohito.

Emperor Naruhito, Akohito's son, is now on the throne.

For more trivia (because of course you know I'd know all this stuff), Akihito was the first emperor to abdicate in more than 200 years, although abdications before that used to be fairly common. For the vast majority of Japanese history, the emperor was only a religious figurehead who was cloistered in the imperial palace in Kyoto and didn't have any actual political power, so there really wasn't much to give up when an emperor decided to hand over to his son or the next relative in line.

While international news will use the personal names of Japanese emperors, the Japanese would never do so. The current emperor is simply called "the Emperor" (Tennō or 天皇), and most Japanese consider it a major faux pas to ever use his given name. An abdicated emperor is called Daijō Tennō (太上天皇), which the Imperial Household Agency officially translates as "Emperor Emeritus." Once a man becomes the Emperor, only his family members would ever again refer to him using his actual name.

Since the Meiji Restoration in 1866, each emperor has been associated with an "era name," which is announced when a new emperor takes over. (Prior to that, there was often more than one era per emperor, but since then, it's been a strict one-emperor, one-era policy.) The abdication marks the end of the Heisei (平成, roughly "peace everywhere") era and the start of the Reiwa (令和, roughly "beautiful harmony") era. The era names are taken from sources such as ancient Chinese or Japanese poetry. Posthumously, emperors are known by their era names, so following his death the "Emperor Emeritus" will be referred to as the "Heisei Emperor," just as his late father (Hirohito) is called the "Shōwa Emperor" after the era he ruled over. Just like it's considered a faux pas to call the emperor by his given name, it's also a faux pas to call the current emperor by his era name; that only applies after he's already dead.

The era actually matters and has a real-world effect because many levels of the Japanese government and even many private companies use the era to set the calendar year. In the post-Meiji practice, the first year of a new era starts immediately upon the emperor's accession and ends on December 31, after which each successive year follows the Gregorian calendar. So April 30, 2019, was the last day of the year "Heisei 30," while May 1 was the first day of the year "Reiwa 1," and Reiwa 2 will start on January 1, 2020. A whole lot of Japanese programmers had to make sure their software property accounts for the year changeover.

shafnutz05

TIL

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Fascinating... Thanks!

Freddy Rumsen

TIL

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 01, 2019 8:14 pm

Shyster is the smartest person on this board.

Shyster

TIL

Postby Shyster » Wed May 01, 2019 8:35 pm

I think it would be more accurate to say," Shyster is a borderline Aspie who often exhibits an Aspergers-like obsession with certain topics that catch his interest, such as typography, guns, airplanes, and rockets." For some reason imperial-type successions are on that list. For example, I also know a heck of a lot about how Popes are selected—even though I'm (1) not Catholic and (2) not religious.

dodint

TIL

Postby dodint » Wed May 01, 2019 8:36 pm

I also have a strange interest in the papacy. I've read history on every 'known' Pope and am fascinated by it, but I'm not even Christian let alone Catholic.

Lemon Berry Lobster

TIL

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 01, 2019 8:39 pm

not religious.
Shyster is the smartest person on this board.

shafnutz05

TIL

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:06 pm

I think it would be more accurate to say," Shyster is a borderline Aspie who often exhibits an Aspergers-like obsession with certain topics that catch his interest, such as typography, guns, airplanes, and rockets." For some reason imperial-type successions are on that list. For example, I also know a heck of a lot about how Popes are selected—even though I'm (1) not Catholic and (2) not religious.
:lol:

At least you like cool things. Like sumo

Shyster

TIL

Postby Shyster » Wed May 01, 2019 9:46 pm

I also have a strange interest in the papacy. I've read history on every 'known' Pope and am fascinated by it, but I'm not even Christian let alone Catholic.

If you've never read it, the book The Bad Popes by E.R. Chamberlin is pretty good. It's an older book, so one can find cheap used copies on sites like abebooks.com. It covers the real dirtbags like John XII, who was supposedly murdered while in bed with another man's wife.

Freddy Rumsen

TIL

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 01, 2019 9:58 pm

Oh man. I'm in a church tradition that believes that the Pope is the Antichrist. I got some good books for you. ;)

Tomas

TIL

Postby Tomas » Fri May 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Oh man. I'm in a church tradition that believes that the Pope is the Antichrist. I got some good books for you. ;)

A church, you say? I have a passport of a country where "Catholics are a-holes!" has been in effect for 600+ years! :)
And all the modern Popes come to that country and apologize, and apologize, and apologize...

All because of this:

https://www.radio.cz/en/section/curraff ... s-comments

Freddy Rumsen

TIL

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Medieval art is the best.

dodint

TIL

Postby dodint » Wed May 08, 2019 8:28 pm

In watching a video about F1 team Andrea Moda I've learned Subaru used to be in F1.

DigitalGypsy66

TIL

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:29 pm

#4 reactor at Chernobyl exploded in 1986. The other 3 reactors remained in service until the last one was decommissioned in 2000. The others remained operational during the #4 accident...

shafnutz05

TIL

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:00 pm

The King of Queens (one of the best sitcoms of the 21st century) still has an active Twitter account.

Dickie Dunn

TIL

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 pm

#4 reactor at Chernobyl exploded in 1986. The other 3 reactors remained in service until the last one was decommissioned in 2000. The others remained operational during the #4 accident...
In Nuke School we watched a Discovery Channel "documentary" about Three Mile Island to illustrate how little the general public knows and understands about nuclear power. The anti-NP activist featured in the doc gleefully spoke about how he appreciates the cooling towers still standing at TMI as a symbol of a failed technology, while steam was pouring out of the cooling tower for Reactor 1.