TIL

robbiestoupe

TIL

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:27 am

I joined LGP a few months before the Great Shift. Nobody knew me so I kept wondering why there was less and less activity, especially from some of the top posters. A month later I googled around and found this place

mikey

TIL

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:31 pm

Evel Knievel was a minor pro hockey player. And one time took five penalty shots on Les Binkley during an intermission for cash.

shafnutz05

TIL

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:21 pm

I want a full scouting report on my desk by 8AM tomorrow.

King Colby

TIL

Postby King Colby » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:40 pm

Ha. Just looked back at my LGP PMs in the days leading up to the move here. Lots of chatter with random people about who had been banned. A threat from Dagny for questioning board mods, and this from Shad:
Hey man, just thought I would give you the heads up, we are PMing a small number of posters right now...you are more than welcome to join, would love to have you and any feedback you have. Here is the PM we are sending everyone, would love to have you be a part of it:

For years now we have been told that if we have a problem with the way this place is run then we should "go start our own forum". Well... we have.

http://www.fifthavenueforum.com

We love the LGP community, just not the way it's run. Come join us at 5AF.

I also reached out to physical_graffiti a month or so later... did he ever come here?

shafnutz05

TIL

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:29 pm

I remember going by here on the way to Gitmo but had no idea the backstory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navassa_Island
The U.S. has claimed the island since 1857, based on the Guano Islands Act of 1856. Haiti's claim over Navassa goes back to the Treaty of Ryswick in 1697 that established French possessions in mainland Hispaniola, that were transferred from Spain by the treaty as well as other specifically named nearby islands.

mikey

TIL

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:00 pm

Jiri Slegr's dad was great Czech defenseman Jiri Bubla... @Tomas

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

TIL

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:34 pm

I regularly listen to a show from Gimlet media called "Crime Show" and they just had an episode on a guy named Don Miller... you can see a quick video of the basic story here:

The show goes into more detail and interviews the FBI agent and the historian that lead the removal of the artifacts (and bodies) from his home.

If you read the youtube comments, you'll see all the commenting about how he was just a sweet old man who had an impressive collection, but the podcast episode suggests otherwise. The FBI agent said that when they started the removal of the bodies (some of which were just in garbage bags) Don Miller said, "I understand you taking the artifacts, but why are you taking my indians?" Like those bones weren't people, they were things. Just gross.

Making me rethink the idea of museums... unless of course they're set up with pieces that were given with permission from their rightful owners.

Tomas

TIL

Postby Tomas » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:56 pm

Jiri Slegr's dad was great Czech defenseman Jiri Bubla...
I actually went to college with one of Slegr's high-school teammates (for a semester, the guy dropped out pretty quickly). He claimed that Slegr was bullied because of Bubla's connection (the guys even gave him "Bubla" nickname), because they knew Jiri and Bubla were not speaking (even way before Bubla defected). One reason being that Bubla abandoned young Slegr pretty early and Slegr's last name was changed to that of his stepfather.

Here is a short article where Slegr is quoted:
“I took the name Slegr when I was 10-years-old because when I was living with my mother and stepdad, all the time everyone was Slegr and I was Bubla,” he says. “And really my father wasn’t a part of my life at all. I maybe heard from him three times all the time I was growing up. No birthday cards, nothing, and it was tough.

“At that point I didn’t want to have anything to do with him. It was tough too because I used to play with Ivan Hlinka’s son and all this time he was a great hockey player, I would hear his stories of what his dad and my dad were doing together, but I would hear nothing from him.”

When his dad went to prison, it brought a whole new level of suffering for young Slegr.

“People were really not very nice to you,” he says, mastering the understatement. “When I would be on the ice the other team would ask me if I took bread to my father while he was in there. And there was lots of other stuff. It was not very pleasurable, but you have to move on. My stepdad was a big help to me at that time.”
This is Slegr's quote after he was elected to Czech Hockey HOF in 2019:
Two dads

When recapitulating his extremely successful career, the regular back couldn't forget his late idols. "The first is Ivan Hlinka . It's hard to talk, he was my hockey father. He pulled us into adult hockey, gave us a chance and we didn't let him down. I thank Ivan for everything," said Šlégr in a shaky voice.

And then tears welled up as he spoke about his stepfather Josef, who recently passed away. "He is no longer with us, but he was with me at every game. I dedicate this award to him because he deserves it the most," Šlégr, whose biological father is hockey player Jiří Bubla, sent his memory to heaven. "They were the two people who helped me the most along the way. I loved Ivan Hlinka and my father Josef even more!"

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/blesk-sp ... dceru.html

http://kuklaskorner.com/candb/comments/ ... jiri_bubla

faftorial

TIL

Postby faftorial » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Jiri Slegr's dad was great Czech defenseman Jiri Bubla...
I actually went to college with one of Slegr's high-school teammates (for a semester, the guy dropped out pretty quickly). He claimed that Slegr was bullied because of Bubla's connection (the guys even gave him "Bubla" nickname), because they knew Jiri and Bubla were not speaking (even way before Bubla defected). One reason being that Bubla abandoned young Slegr pretty early and Slegr's last name was changed to that of his stepfather.

Here is a short article where Slegr is quoted:
“I took the name Slegr when I was 10-years-old because when I was living with my mother and stepdad, all the time everyone was Slegr and I was Bubla,” he says. “And really my father wasn’t a part of my life at all. I maybe heard from him three times all the time I was growing up. No birthday cards, nothing, and it was tough.

“At that point I didn’t want to have anything to do with him. It was tough too because I used to play with Ivan Hlinka’s son and all this time he was a great hockey player, I would hear his stories of what his dad and my dad were doing together, but I would hear nothing from him.”

When his dad went to prison, it brought a whole new level of suffering for young Slegr.

“People were really not very nice to you,” he says, mastering the understatement. “When I would be on the ice the other team would ask me if I took bread to my father while he was in there. And there was lots of other stuff. It was not very pleasurable, but you have to move on. My stepdad was a big help to me at that time.”
This is Slegr's quote after he was elected to Czech Hockey HOF in 2019:
Two dads

When recapitulating his extremely successful career, the regular back couldn't forget his late idols. "The first is Ivan Hlinka . It's hard to talk, he was my hockey father. He pulled us into adult hockey, gave us a chance and we didn't let him down. I thank Ivan for everything," said Šlégr in a shaky voice.

And then tears welled up as he spoke about his stepfather Josef, who recently passed away. "He is no longer with us, but he was with me at every game. I dedicate this award to him because he deserves it the most," Šlégr, whose biological father is hockey player Jiří Bubla, sent his memory to heaven. "They were the two people who helped me the most along the way. I loved Ivan Hlinka and my father Josef even more!"

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/blesk-sp ... dceru.html

http://kuklaskorner.com/candb/comments/ ... jiri_bubla
Thanks for posting Thomas.

shafnutz05

TIL

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:57 am

That's good stuff

robbiestoupe

TIL

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:17 am

I regularly listen to a show from Gimlet media called "Crime Show" and they just had an episode on a guy named Don Miller... you can see a quick video of the basic story here:

The show goes into more detail and interviews the FBI agent and the historian that lead the removal of the artifacts (and bodies) from his home.

If you read the youtube comments, you'll see all the commenting about how he was just a sweet old man who had an impressive collection, but the podcast episode suggests otherwise. The FBI agent said that when they started the removal of the bodies (some of which were just in garbage bags) Don Miller said, "I understand you taking the artifacts, but why are you taking my indians?" Like those bones weren't people, they were things. Just gross.

Making me rethink the idea of museums... unless of course they're set up with pieces that were given with permission from their rightful owners.
Amazing. Not just the story itself, but that I have actually slept in that house and have seen those artifacts. I'm not clear on whether Don is a family member or just good friends of my family, but the house is a 15 minute bike ride from my grandmother's brother's home in Moscow, Indiana. We used to have family reunions in Moscow, and part of the fun was going to Don's house to see the artifacts.

Let me just say up front that I had no idea there were human remains there. He must have had those stashed away somewhere (for obvious reasons). But I will echo the sentiments of the youtube commenters - a very sweet man. Perhaps he became this way in his old age and was anything but when younger, who knows. Obviously he came from an era where racism was more common and perhaps that's just who he was. There's no excuse for having taken those remains.

He was obviously very wealthy. The entire attic area of the house was pipe organs. No alarm was necessary when sleeping at the house - you always woke up to him playing the national anthem on the organ. Let me tell you, you've never heard an organ louder or more crisp. Don't know how he didn't blow out his windows.

He was somehow involved with the Manhattan Project. May have even been there when the A-bomb was tested. He had plenty of photos of the site shortly after it was tested.

But yeah, other than the human remains, the artifacts were impressive. It was literally a museum in there. My brothers and uncles would spend hours marveling at it all. We heard the news in 2014 that the FBI raided the home, but had no idea about the remains until you posted this. Going to be some interesting discussions at the next family reunion

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

TIL

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:25 am

Amazing. Not just the story itself, but that I have actually slept in that house and have seen those artifacts. I'm not clear on whether Don is a family member or just good friends of my family, but the house is a 15 minute bike ride from my grandmother's brother's home in Moscow, Indiana. We used to have family reunions in Moscow, and part of the fun was going to Don's house to see the artifacts.

Let me just say up front that I had no idea there were human remains there. He must have had those stashed away somewhere (for obvious reasons). But I will echo the sentiments of the youtube commenters - a very sweet man. Perhaps he became this way in his old age and was anything but when younger, who knows. Obviously he came from an era where racism was more common and perhaps that's just who he was. There's no excuse for having taken those remains.

He was obviously very wealthy. The entire attic area of the house was pipe organs. No alarm was necessary when sleeping at the house - you always woke up to him playing the national anthem on the organ. Let me tell you, you've never heard an organ louder or more crisp. Don't know how he didn't blow out his windows.

He was somehow involved with the Manhattan Project. May have even been there when the A-bomb was tested. He had plenty of photos of the site shortly after it was tested.

But yeah, other than the human remains, the artifacts were impressive. It was literally a museum in there. My brothers and uncles would spend hours marveling at it all. We heard the news in 2014 that the FBI raided the home, but had no idea about the remains until you posted this. Going to be some interesting discussions at the next family reunion
I'd recommend giving the podcast episode I heard about this from a listen: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0Z82pD ... ZKdOetv5RA

The remains were all kept behind a locked door that extended well beyond his normal museum area.

They talk about the Manhattan Project in the podcast. He apparently used to brag that he was the one that pushed the button to detonate the first atomic bomb. This wasn't true, as they found out on the show. They did some digging and found he did work on the Manhattan Project but was no where near the level he claimed to be.

Behind that locked door with the human remains, they found a full skeleton under a glass case. He told them all it was Crazy Horse's corpse. It was 200 different human bodies put together to make a full skeleton. They also found skulls that had arrowheads smashed into them post mortem. Seemed like he had a knack for fictitious story telling.

tifosi77

TIL

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:42 am

That's............... gross.

robbiestoupe

TIL

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:21 pm

I'd recommend giving the podcast episode I heard about this from a listen: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0Z82pD ... ZKdOetv5RA

The remains were all kept behind a locked door that extended well beyond his normal museum area.

They talk about the Manhattan Project in the podcast. He apparently used to brag that he was the one that pushed the button to detonate the first atomic bomb. This wasn't true, as they found out on the show. They did some digging and found he did work on the Manhattan Project but was no where near the level he claimed to be.

Behind that locked door with the human remains, they found a full skeleton under a glass case. He told them all it was Crazy Horse's corpse. It was 200 different human bodies put together to make a full skeleton. They also found skulls that had arrowheads smashed into them post mortem. Seemed like he had a knack for fictitious story telling.
I can attest to the bolded. I remember seeing the movie Big Fish then visiting Don shortly after. Needless to say I was very skeptical of many of his stories.

Thanks for the link to the podcast, I'll check it out.

willeyeam

TIL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:24 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

TIL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:02 pm

the PP-Bizon was developed by a team that was headed by the son of Mikhail Kalashnikov and included the son of Alexei Dragunov

they were the Toronto Blue Jays of gun designers

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

TIL

Postby iamjs » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:24 pm

I want a full scouting report on my desk by 8AM tomorrow.
Cropping down the article to a few points, but here ya go:
He briefly played for the EHL's Charlotte Checkers before starting his own team, the Butte Bombers. As a player, he was a real showoff and had to be the life of the party all of the time. Former players rated him a 7 out of 10 but would not trust him as far as they could throw him.
Knievel was the owner, coach, and starting center of the Butte Bombers at 19 years old. He was a good athlete but was always getting into scraps and "was the biggest bullshitter in the world." Knievel paid his players $50 a game, thanks to funding from local sporting goods dealer Phil Judd. Players would later find out that the $50 was a mirage.
Knievel was not a bad player but if he had passed the puck more, he would have been a better player. He always set himself up to be the star, putting himself out there for the PP, PK, and all the big moments as the 1st line center.
In 1960, Knievel secured a game vs the Czech Olympic hockey team. The Czechs beat them 22-3. The Butte goalie made 69 saves (ed note: nice), but Tubie Johnson said that game could have easily been 105-0. Knievel came out during the intermissions with a mic and asked for donations from the crowd since the expenses ended up being more than he imagined. Allegedly none of it made its way back to the team.
http://nationalteamsoficehockey.com/eve ... te-bombers

willeyeam

TIL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:28 pm

thought that was @meow until the 3rd sentence

faftorial

TIL

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:00 pm

thought that was @meow until the 3rd sentence
Any stats on meow? I searched and didn't find any.

mikey

TIL

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:16 pm

The amount of Butte Bombing he has done is well-documented here...

willeyeam

TIL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:20 pm

league leader iirc

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

TIL

Postby meow » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:41 pm

I have Butte Bombed a time or two, yes. What of it?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

TIL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:21 pm

in the original Iron Chef (in Japan), the contestants had 5 minutes to discuss strategy after the secret ingredient was revealed before the competition started

In Iron Chef America, they get 45 minutes

soft americans

Orlando Penguin

TIL

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun May 01, 2022 9:05 am

The whole Justin Timberlake meme ‘it’s gonna be May’. How’d I learn of it? It was yesterday’s Heardle. My brain felt very small.

tifosi77

TIL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:38 pm

May memes on the 3rd?