MIMH's NailedPenguin's Thread of Facebook Hatred

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:06 am

I work in my "free time" more than they do during the summer months. They can get bent. They chose the profession.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:11 am

Tonight a teacher somewhere in your neighborhood is getting ready for your child's new school year, writing lesson plans or writing your child's name in their grade book, while you are watching television. In the minute it takes you to read this, teachers all over the world are using their "free time," and often investing their own time & money for your child's literacy, prosperity, and future. Re-post if....you are a teacher, love a teacher, or appreciate a teacher!! I love my special teacher,
Most of my friends are teachers, and this is making its rounds through everyone's status. I feel for them because of how **** up the Philadelphia School District is, but stuff like this irritates me. Working on your own time isn't uncommon at all for most of us, and I won't bring up the fact that they've all been sitting around this summer, going to the beach, etc.
Yup...this sht is maddening. I also have about a half dozen friends that teach (that mercifully haven't posted this stuff). Mothereffers, this might surprise you but ORDINARY FULL-TIME WORKERS ALWAYS BRING WORK HOME WITH THEM. I typically responded to about a half dozen emails from my phone in the evening. Does that make me a teacher?

Look out now... have to respond to emails in the evening... :pop:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:34 am

Facebook for me has been ruined since Trump won. Every single day, a large contingent of people just post update after update about the rights and wrongs of america. They're more focused than ever on Trump and everything little thin he does or says.

I don't care what you believe, support, etc. Calling for action on Facebook is just stupid. Stop saying you're going to do something and revolt on facebook/twitter/etc. and just effing do it. Make Facebook For Creeping Again.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:30 am

the creeping aspect of facebook went they took the .edu requirement away

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 am

They are expected to work while not receiving a paycheck. You can look at it certain ways to frame it as them getting paid - just later. But it's still icky.

I also know a zillion teachers. They all spend the summers either working other jobs or taking care of their families.

...because they're paid like sht until they're in their 40's and they need to supplement or take advantage of not paying childcare.

I don't like Facebook woe is me stuff but pump the brakes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:58 am

I can get on board with that if this was Futurama and you were given an occupation chip when you entered the workforce.

Anyone that goes into K-12 teaching not understanding the demands and scheduling isn't getting any sympathy from me.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:04 pm

I can get on board with that if this was Futurama and you were given an occupation chip when you entered the workforce.

Anyone that goes into K-12 teaching not understanding the demands and scheduling isn't getting any sympathy from me.
Partly because you're uninformed.

The landscape has changed drastically over the last 5 years or so. There are different demands. A major driver of women accepting a PITA job that doesn't pay appropriately is that they get family time. Summers with the kids and early pickups from childcare, in particular. That flexibility is being compromised as the private industry approach of "don't like it? Someone younger and cheaper will, so bye bye" is bleeding in.

But you wouldn't care about such things of course, so let me frame it this way. College education costs are rising. Demands are rising. Pay is not (at least not at the same pace). So what will happen is that quality teachers will be replaced will less qualified resources. Not that you care about this either, but education as a whole will suffer.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Sure I'm uniformed, I have no stake. My wife bailed out of the profession right before entering in about 2005 because she saw the writing on the wall. My aunt is at the end of her career but, despite being recognized at the state level, has hated her job for the last 15 years or so.

From my perspective I see tax money being put into a school district which in turn spends it on administrative salary and frivolous amenities like botanical gardens and football stadiums. What's left gets paid to the lowest bidder teacher that comes along.

But we're talking about people crying on Facebook about having to work the profession they chose. I don't care.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Nobody's saying that they don't work on their own time, are underpaid, etc. My issue is with them insinuating that nobody else is in that very same situation, which is disingenuous at best.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:13 pm

It's a lousy forum to complain about your job, I agree. The life of a technology professional with a high amount of responsibility is beyond stressful. But I'm not gonna go beg for "likes" about it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Source of the post My issue is with them insinuating that nobody else is in that very same situation
It reminds me of the 'housewife is the hardest job' people. Fair or not.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Nobody's saying that they don't work on their own time, are underpaid, etc. My issue is with them insinuating that nobody else is in that very same situation, which is disingenuous at best.
How often do you work without getting a paycheck until 3 months later?

They are in a unique situation. It is their choice, yes, but disingenuous is something that could be thrown right back at ya.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:19 pm

How often do you work without getting a paycheck until 3 months later?
Never, but that wasn't the issue at hand.
They are in a unique situation. It is their choice, yes, but disingenuous is something that could be thrown right back at ya.
How am I being disingenuous here? Or are you replying to dodint with this comment?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:27 pm

It's disingenuous because you know, intellectually that teaching is a unique job in several ways, but to make you're point you're denying that. Or you were. Right now, I'm not sure what's happening.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:30 pm

It's disingenuous because you know, intellectually that teaching is a unique job in several ways, but to make you're point you're denying that. Or you were. Right now, I'm not sure what's happening.
Probably better for the Edu thread, but the hoards of people willing to work under those terms and for crap money is what allows this to perpetuate. It's tough giving them a pass when they're the integral part of the problem.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 pm

mrs. meow is a school teacher and those statuses make her sick

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Probably better for the Edu thread, but the hoards of people willing to work under those terms and for crap money is what allows this to perpetuate. It's tough giving them a pass when they're the integral part of the problem.
again, though...unless you're in your mid twenties or younger, this isn't what you signed up for (at least in many districts). and now you're kind of stuck. because you have to pay down those loans that are the same loans a person making six figures has and you likely don't have the skills required to do better into the private sector.

i'm not making a point about anything other than their willingness, btw. they're employed with a steady job in a garbage economy. there are worse things.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 pm

mrs. meow is a school teacher and those statuses make her sick
mrs shmenguin identifies with those posts, but doesn't vandalize her FB with them

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Source of the post again, though...unless you're in your mid twenties or younger, this isn't what you signed up for (at least in many districts).
If true (no reason to believe you're wrong) then I'll just beg off by saying I don't have an understanding of the situation.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Teachers being underpaid is hardly a new phenomenon.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Source of the post again, though...unless you're in your mid twenties or younger, this isn't what you signed up for (at least in many districts).
If true (no reason to believe you're wrong) then I'll just beg off by saying I don't have an understanding of the situation.
But to be honest, YMMV depending on your district. I can't pretend that I know the goings on all over the country. But this is certainly the case in my neck of the woods.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:30 pm

I guess where it irks her is if you are getting ready for work, it is not "free-time"

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Facebook for me has been ruined since Trump won. Every single day, a large contingent of people just post update after update about the rights and wrongs of america. They're more focused than ever on Trump and everything little thin he does or says.

I don't care what you believe, support, etc. Calling for action on Facebook is just stupid. Stop saying you're going to do something and revolt on facebook/twitter/etc. and just effing do it. Make Facebook For Creeping Again.
I want to both put this in a frame and applaud it due to how much I agree with your spot-on-edness. :fist:

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 pm

do teachers only get paid 9 mo/year? i thought you could choose to receive 12 mo or 9 mo payment

meow

Postby meow » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:19 pm

do teachers only get paid 9 mo/year? i thought you could choose to receive 12 mo or 9 mo payment
You can in most districts. There are some bass ackwards ones where you cannot choose.