MIMH's NailedPenguin's Thread of Facebook Hatred

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:21 pm

How much does it matter? I have to think that budgeting accordingly makes it close to a non-issue.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:21 pm

do teachers only get paid 9 mo/year? i thought you could choose to receive 12 mo or 9 mo payment
maybe that exists somewhere, but i'm not familiar. the logistics don't really work out, since you're basically giving them an advance in pay, but hey - if a district wants to do that, woo hoo for teachers.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm

do teachers only get paid 9 mo/year? i thought you could choose to receive 12 mo or 9 mo payment
maybe that exists somewhere, but i'm not familiar. the logistics don't really work out, since you're basically giving them an advance in pay, but hey - if a district wants to do that, woo hoo for teachers.

Most allow you to choose 9 or 12 months.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:08 pm

I know teaching salaries are low in a lot of places, but at least in the Western burbs of Philly, it's a damn sweet gig.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

I know teaching salaries are low in a lot of places, but at least in the Western burbs of Philly, it's a damn sweet gig.
There are certainly good teaching positions out there, but they're pretty few and far between.

Signed: someone who peaced the f*ck out from that non-sense.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:15 pm

I enjoyed having highly paid union teachers.
The wuz good.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:38 pm

i don't know about "low", but in NJ, you can be a high performing teacher in a top district with a masters + 10 years experience and make like 55K.

and hey - you're not starving if you make 55K. i get it. but it's also sort of a bum deal if you have a demanding job that costs a lot to break into (meaning a zillion dollars in student loans) and aren't paid well. and again - this isn't a pity party. what i'm saying is that the more of a pain the job gets, the more you'll get lousy teachers because the smart ones will run the hell away.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 pm

I remember going to a town hall with John Eichelberger when I was a teacher. A group of us went, and my first grade teacher was there and asked a question about school funding. Out of nowhere he asked her how much money she makes and told her not to lie because it's on public record. I think she said after her 20 years experience and a masters degree she's getting 65K. She then asked for his education, experience and pay. I think he said a bachelor of arts in poli sci, at that point he had a couple years under his belt and made 85K, and he immediately said "But... I work like 60-80 hours a week." When she responded "I do too..." he pointed his finger very aggressively toward her and said "Don't you lie." And there were some people cheering and yelling at her for her "cushy" job.

I remember it vividly because prior to that I didn't feel there was any aggressive feelings toward teachers. I thought pretty much everyone thought they were doing a good bit of work for little pay and saints for doing so. I was wrong. Very wrong.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:39 pm

I volunteered for Eichelberger's primary, when he beat Jubilirer. That's a messed up story tho.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:52 pm

This may fall under TMI, but this is really bugging me in a highly irrational way.

The chick with whom the Tifster first engaged in the joys of carnal bliss (many, many moons ago) sent me a friend request last week. I never particularly liked her all that much, we only dated a couple months, it ended poorly, and that was really the extent of our relationship. (Meaning we weren't friends before, and we weren't friends after; it was strictly a short dating relationship.) The last time I saw her was almost 20 years ago, when she and a couple other friends came out to LA, and my friend (who I moved to CA with) volunteered us as tour guides. It was awkward and unpleasant.

Am I weird for thinking it is weird for her to send me this friend request?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Not at all. I decline those types of requests.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:54 pm

No

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm FB friends with every woman I have ever slept with. It's NBD, friend and forget.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm FB friends with every woman I have ever slept with. It's NBD, friend and forget.
It doesn't count if you're actually married to that one person.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:00 pm

:swish:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:06 pm

I got a very breezy message/friend request from my main ex right after I signed up for FB. This is a person I was hoping would go lay down in a ditch somewhere and never get back up. Never spoke to her again after I had moved out 5 years earlier. I guess she didn't end the relationship with the same amount of hostility :lol:

But yeah...I denied the request.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:29 pm

While all of my other past breakups were on relatively good terms, I'm only FB friends with two exes, one of whom introduced me to Mrs Tif. Some of that is due to the fact that FB started around the time Mrs Tif and I started dating, so I don't really have any non-Mrs Tif dating history in the Facebook era.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:04 am

A high school "friend", who is a newly licensed psychotherapist, just posted this today:

Axxxxx Mxxxxxx is feeling angry.

I noticed yesterday several friends posting or having comments made on their post what I assume are intended to be jokes about Irma that contained suicidal remarks. I won't repeat them because this is not a joking matter. This is suicide prevention month. See my post yesterday for a blog article I wrote. But let me say this, the "jokes" may not be taken as such by someone feeling suicidal. Surviving a loved one's suicide is difficult because of the array of unexpected emotions including sadness, helplessness, anger, disbelief, and so much more. Participating or allowing these comments or posts may leave you feeling these things but I assume with added guilt, should someone complete suicide. There is already a stigma about help-seeking. Let's not add to it by alienating or validating hopelessness of help-seeking someone in so much pain may already feel.

What? And......what?

Though, I should be glad.....yesterday I had to see a post from another high school friend about he and his much older gentleman lover's...."exploits."

WHY am I still on Facebook?????

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am

People are so sensitive anymore, anything you say is used against you for someone else to be offended.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 am

If your friend wasn't so much up on his/her high horse, I'd agree with some of his/her points. There is a stigma about seeking mental health help, there are some people that are a little too nonchalant about suicide, and the only true victim in a suicide is those that are close to the person that killed themselves.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 am

I should also add, I have no effing clue what she's talking about. Obviously we don't have the exact same set of FB friends, but in my FB travels the last few days, I've seen zero references to suicide w/r/t Irma. And I'm friends with some fairly off-color (for lack of a better term) people. I'm guessing this is a response to some stretch of the imagination to twist it into something she can be high & mighty about while also promoting her "blog article."

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:16 am

A few weeks ago I installed the News Feed Eradicator plugin for Chrome. Now I don't see the feed at all. I can still check in on groups and pages I want to see, message people and answer messages, etc. but miss all the drivel. Very welcome change.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 am

A few weeks ago I installed the News Feed Eradicator plugin for Chrome. Now I don't see the feed at all. I can still check in on groups and pages I want to see, message people and answer messages, etc. but miss all the drivel. Very welcome change.
What's the point of using Facebook if the News Feed is blocked?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am

What's the point of using Facebook if the News Feed is blocked?

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Wtf is up with people who post Happy Birthday in the comments of other people's happy birthday wishes? Especially when it isn't just a generic "happy birthday" post.