Restaurant Recommendations

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:27 pm

Anyone have any recommendations near the st college area to eat? count2infinity ?

Wife and I are heading to the Penn State Creamery today and two other near by (hour drive) ice cream places to finish up the Western PA ice cream trail today and we are going to need to eat something other than ice cream at some point during the day haha.

I'm debating on if I should wear Pitt gear. lol. My wife advises against it.
You realize that it’s move in weekend, yes? This place is going to be a mad house.

That said, I’ve given some advice on a place to eat here previously. I’ll find it and quote it here in a sec.

If it doesn’t include places in the surrounding area: I’m heading to the hublersburg inn tonight for dinner. There’s elk creek cafe and shy bear in lewistown as well.
Yeah didn't realize it was move in weekend....it was crazy. We had to park at a garage on bigler I think somewhere and make a mile or so trek to the creamery. Was worth it though ....best ice cream we had among any of the 9 stops we made. Got to walk around and through the campus and it's actually a pretty nice place.

We stopped at ritcheys dairy then stocks dairy on the way back in Martinsburg to hit all 3 places in the area in one day. We actually didn't even stop for regular food as we were both stuffed from all the ice cream we ate lol.
Ritchey's is fun... Beautiful area out there too. If you want to eat near Altoona, Bill Sell's Bold in downtown Altoona is a fantastic tapas style place.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Ladels in Springdale was a great little find for a lunch spot. My wife really liked the nut rolls, they reminded her of the ones her great-aunt used to make before she passed away.

I forgot my debit card there and have to go back tomorrow. Might pick up a half-dozen or so while I'm there.

https://www.ladleskitchen.com/

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 pm

Ladels in Springdale was a great little find for a lunch spot. My wife really liked the nut rolls, they reminded her of the ones her great-aunt used to make before she passed away.

I forgot my debit card there and have to go back tomorrow. Might pick up a half-dozen or so while I'm there.

https://www.ladleskitchen.com/
Ladles is awesome. They have great breakfast as well. Really their whole menu is good stuff. Went there alot when I lived closer.

Davids diner further down the road right before the 9th Street bridge before you get to new Ken is also really good.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Houghs in Greenfield just got cited by the health department for black mold, cockroaches, and mice, amongst other things. Guess I won’t be going back there. That’s a shame. Super convenient and generally pretty good.

http://appsrv.alleghenycounty.us/report ... 1909190054

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:37 pm

They used to be good 3 years ago. Went back this year and quality seemed to have dropped considerably

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:14 pm

We have always liked the Sunday brunch. I do agree that the quality the main menu quality has declined.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 am

Nashville.

Have a window on Friday night for dinner. Needs to be somewhere that I can fairly easily park a very large van, so likely in the exurbs or near a manageable parking garage.

Any recs?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Houghs in Greenfield just got cited by the health department for black mold, cockroaches, and mice, amongst other things. Guess I won’t be going back there. That’s a shame. Super convenient and generally pretty good.

http://appsrv.alleghenycounty.us/report ... 1909190054
That is nightmarish.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:20 pm

Nashville.

Have a window on Friday night for dinner. Needs to be somewhere that I can fairly easily park a very large van, so likely in the exurbs or near a manageable parking garage.

Any recs?
I'm either havin deja vu or already answered this once, but The Southern Steak and Oyster Bar is amazing.

https://www.thesouthernnashville.com/

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Not in this thread; maybe for mikey in the Travel Thread?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:05 am

That looks great. I will keep it in mind if I ever go back someday.

It doesn't work for this trip because I have an oversized vehicle and there is practically no parking there; most garages do not accommodate vehicles taller than 7ft.

I'll just hit up Cracker Barrel on I-65, the little lady will love it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:09 pm

That looks great. I will keep it in mind if I ever go back someday.

It doesn't work for this trip because I have an oversized vehicle and there is practically no parking there; most garages do not accommodate vehicles taller than 7ft.

I'll just hit up Cracker Barrel on I-65, the little lady will love it.
Say hi to brads wife.

Its been a few years since I was there but there's a pedestrian footbridge from Nissan stadium that goes right to there. It's like a 7 minute walk.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Looking to go to a fancy steakhouse but can't decide between Ruth's Chris, Hyde Park, or some other fancy place that I don't know about. Any suggestions?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Morton's and Capital Grille are always at the top of any list, but can't say I've been to either. What do you consider fancy? Dress-up, expensive, gr8 food?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:38 pm

Gaucho isn't fancy but is better food than Morton's, Hyde Park, etc.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Capital Grille is excellent and would be my go to for fancy steakhouse. I love Gaucho but I dislike standing outside for hours waiting to eat.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Nashville.

Any recs?
I don't know anything about the location, but Nashville has a Husk outpost. That'd be at the top of my list, hot chicken places notwithstanding.

Edit: This probably would've been more useful several days ago. lol

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:26 pm

Looking to go to a fancy steakhouse but can't decide between Ruth's Chris, Hyde Park, or some other fancy place that I don't know about. Any suggestions?
I'm a fan of Ruth's Chris. Only been to the one in Vegas, but it was top-drawer steakery. If they are consistent across locations, I'd go there.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Goucho is amazing. I’m looking more for Ruth’s Chris, Morton’s, Hyde Park.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:00 pm

I’ve eaten at all of them.

Capital Grille
Ruth’s
Morton’s
Hyde Park

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 pm

I’ve eaten at all of them.

Capital Grille
Ruth’s
Morton’s
Hyde Park

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Nashville.

Any recs?
I don't know anything about the location, but Nashville has a Husk outpost. That'd be at the top of my list, hot chicken places notwithstanding.

Edit: This probably would've been more useful several days ago. lol
It was as useful as the other recommendation... ;)

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Those are indeed tourist traps. :wink:

Felix's, Bayonna, Brennan's, Royal House, Antoine's, Glatoire's, Coop's, Central Grocery & Deli, Bourbon House. That's just the Vieux Carré. A short Uber/Lyft into Treme will get you Willie Mae's and Dooky Chase. Go the other way to the CBD for Compère Lapin, Cochon, Cochon Butcher, Herbsaint, Bon Ton Cafe. Further upriver, Commander's Palace, Coquette.

The sort of famous bars (Carousel, Sazerac Bar, Pat O'Brien's, French 75) have been, in my experience, an absolute hoot and worth the crowds.

Big "thank you" for the above tips, @tifosi77 ! Tried three places I was able to get reservations 14 days ahead: Brennan's, Antoine's, and Bourbon House. Of the three, the only one I did not care that much was Bourbon House (still too many loud tourists out there) - but Brennan's (creole) and Antoine's (French) were among the most rewarding culinary experiences of my life! I finally looked like a restaurant expert in the eyes of some of my upper-stiff-lip friends! :lol:

And, this at least somewhat balancing the nightmare of getting out of New Orleans poopy electricity-absent airport on Saturday. Ended up driving a rental 11+ hours back home through some scary parts of Delta in the State of Mississippi. I never imagined that such a complete poverty could be still seen in the present U.S.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:55 pm

think im headed to wild rosemary for the first time this week. pretty excited

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Morcilla is too dark, too loud, and uncomfortably warm, but **** is their cochnillo isn't one of the best things I've ever eaten. Their food in general is excellent, but that suckling pig is truly incredible.